Thread: Fear Of Regaining The Weight

Default Fear Of Regaining The Weight

I wrote about this today at my blog.
    Do you have the fear? If not, and you once had it, what did you do to eliminate the fear?

Default Re: Fear Of Regaining The Weight

You know, when I started WW in 1989 I weighed 135 lbs. Yep. 1-3-5. At 63 inches tall. (looking back, I'm not sure why they even let me join, but I lost 20 lbs that first time). I am now just over 220 lbs. I have been off and on WW and other programs for 23 years, which is more than half of my life time. 224 lbs is what 5 lbs a year for 23 years looks like. But that's misleading since I have also had big losses. That's a 5 lb NET gain each year.

I am now an incredibly slow loser--and I think it's fear. Fear that I'll lose 20 lbs that will return as 30 lbs. I know I can lose 20 lbs, I do it all the time. Fear that I'll lose the 100 lbs that I really need to lose, and not keep it off. There's also anger, that I wonder if I'd never tried to lose weight in the first place, that I would very likely be in a very different place now. There's resentment that I have been in some way monitoring my food intake, for good or for ill for the last 8,374 days.

I don't know what the answer to this is.

I'm at the other end of the journey than you, Supe, having never made lifetime (I think my original goal weight was an insane 110 lbs), and I get so very disheartened about the very real difficulty in keeping off weight, my main goal now is to not gain weight, eat well, exercise more, and to lose slowly (maybe if I try to sneak up on small losses my traitorous brain and body won't notice what's happening). I try to notice that when I'm being too restrictive, I get cravings for the worst food possible. (normally my diet verges on the ridiculously healthy, I am still struggling with portion size on a daily basis--but if I get "diet mentality" all of a sudden some stranger fills my cart with potato chips and ice cream--2 things I almost never buy normally).

So, I guess I didn't answer the question, really. Losing weight and not regaining it really is a full-time job, and requires tremendous mental focus, attention and vigilance. It almost seems NOT normal to live without some fear. In your recent posts, Supe, I am seeing some of that fear showing through. I think your recent brief weight gain after your vacation really shook you out of a comfort zone, and reminded you how easy a relapse is. Unlike me, you took that weight and booted it to the curb, so good on you, mate!
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

Thanks Kris.

Yes, my weight is back where I wanted it to be - after that weekend getaway pig-out. (Which I guess, was not as bad as I thought?) I do that a lot - as soon as I gain 2 or 3 pounds, I freak and then really get back OP until I get back down to a number that I like, etc. I suppose that's why I weigh myself, everyday, in addition to the weekly WW weigh-in. So, that I can monitor it closely and make the adjustments, as needed, before it's too big of a hill to climb.

Don't feel bad about 5 pounds a year for 23 years. That's what happened to me. I was OK at 30. And, then, I did 5 or 6 pounds, or so, every year that I was in my 30's. And, that's how I got to be way overweight by the time I was 40. I was able to get rid of it and keep it off. And, I use that as a motivator now - not wanting to gain that first 5 back - because I know that's the bridge to gaining 60 pounds back.

Hang in there Kris. Keep at it. You'll get there.

Thanks Supe.

I actually just bought a body media monitor for my lab (they are pretty accurate, we want to use them for research), and I'm doing a trial run on it and acting as if I'm a participant--It's eye opening, as I see how many calories/day I actually use with my BMR, activity, etc. (usually close to 3000 cals/day), no wonder when I'm eating 1800 calories a day, I want to tear my hair out. It also would explain why I do better on SyFy or core where I can eat generously and to satisfaction. I may have to buy one of these for myself when my trial is over.

Truth is, I never learned how to maintain--only to lose and gain. I hope that I get to where you are, Supe (heck, I'd love to weigh what you weigh!!) and learn to catch those little slips before they become a larger pant size.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

Kris - I'll tell you what I tell everyone who asks me how to maintain: It's the same as losing except you need to find the magic number of points where you won't gain or lose any weight. Otherwise, it's all the same: You need to make good choices, use portion control, track everything, and be accountable (by still weighing in). And, if you went to meetings or participated in an online support group, you should try and keep that up.

There's no finish line. Everyday is a starting line. That's the way I look at it.

I totally agree
    Positive thinking gets positive results!!!!!!!

Dottie HW: 210.4 SW:203.6 WWG:
    141 CW: 108.5 (5-1-14)

Made lifetime in 2003 and have maintained.

Dottie - have you joined the NWCR?

http://www.nwcr.ws/NWCR_join.htm

Yes, I fear regaining the weight. I know statistically that the odds are against me. Honestly, I think a little fear is good for me. I was fat most of my adult life, I have been to goal briefly, then gained the weight back, how can I not think I will gain it back.

I am 5 years on WW now and I NEVER feel like I have this thing licked. I know I have to work the program everyday. I track in my head and still weigh/measure occasionally.

What I find interesting is people are surprised that I am still on WW. They don't get that it's a lifestyle change. I explain that I am still on WW, I just get to eat a few more points.
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

As a sports fan, I can't count how many times I've heard about someone being driven by the fear of failure. I think that applies to a lot of us on WW too!

Replies

I always have that fear of gaining the weight back. I think it just goes with the territory. Just when I think I've got the eating monster tamed, it comes back to bite me in the ****. I've seen how easy it is to revert to those bad old habits. That fear keeps me going to meetings pretty much every week. I think since I went back to WW in Dec. of 2010, I have missed maybe 4 meetings.

Kris~~ It sounds like you're on the right track. Interesting about the body monitor. It sounds like you've been under eating for quite some time. I think most people who reach goal at WW struggle with the maintaining. I have to say too, that I am a bit disappointed that WW doesn't do more to HELP and encourage those of us that are maintaining lifetimes. The cynical side of me thinks that it's not to their benefit because if we go above goal, we pay.

So, we just keep on doing what we are doing. Monitor our weight, track (I'll probably be tracking still when I am 90), and eat well and keep active at home and on the boards. There is power in the group!
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec 2010
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

11. Default Re: Fear Of Regaining The Weight

I have spent a lot of time and effort maintaining my weight. I am so deathly afraid of gaining all that again. It is just like having a nightmare all over again. I am sick of being a *!*!*!*!*!. I am happy with what I have right now. It is just not fair going through all this anxiety alone. I am happy that I am not so alone after all.

I keep reminding myself that it takes weeks, or longer, to develop a good habit. But, it only takes a day or two to fall back into a bad one, if you allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by JalepenoAnn View Post
    I always have that fear of gaining the weight back. I think it just goes with the territory. Just when I think I've got the eating monster tamed, it comes back to bite me in the ****. I've seen how easy it is to revert to those bad old habits.

So, we just keep on doing what we are doing. Monitor our weight, track (I'll probably be tracking still when I am 90), and eat well and keep active at home and on the boards. There is power in the group!
    I agree.
    I think a little fear is good, and that it goes with the territory.

Ann, I'll right there with tracking til I'm 90.
    Trudie

14. Default Re: Fear Of Regaining The Weight

I think most of us weight conscious people have that kind of fear. I my situation I counter that fear by staying focus on my healthy routines. I use that fear to motivate myself to keep going no matter how tight my schedule gets sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    Kris - I'll tell you what I tell everyone who asks me how to maintain: It's the same as losing except you need to find the magic number of points where you won't gain or lose any weight. Otherwise, it's all the same: You need to make good choices, use portion control, track everything, and be accountable (by still weighing in). And, if you went to meetings or participated in an online support group, you should try and keep that up.

There's no finish line. Everyday is a starting line. That's the way I look at it.
    Love the last line!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post

Thanks I will find that useful ....

Yup, I weigh myself daily and panic if the scale goes up.
    I'm still well below my goal weight, but have gained a few pounds since I retired, and would like to get back into my regular clothes.
    Now that I'm over 70, I find it really easy to gain, and super hard to lose.
    But, the turtle did win the race right?

I've been on a bit of a yo-yo? I think part of it is reminding yourself, you can stick with it! And, not beating yourself up when you do slip up, using this for an excuse to continue slipping up! (preaching at myself LOL)
    Joyful7

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Yes, I fear gaining the weight back. I've lost 97.5 pounds and been a lifer for 10 years. The key for me is to indentify the things I can control and those I can't. I can control what I put in my mouth and with all of the great tools weight watchers gives us I know I must manage my points each day. I have seen a lot of changes and initially resisted change. Why change what had worked for me? Once I tried the changes and embraced them I found that I needed to trust the process and weight watchers in general. At one point several years ago, I had stopped doing what made me successful and the weight started to come back. I had to rededicate myself to the program. I have discovered that I will have to work this program everyday. As a retired person, I can and do go to the gym everyday and I must admit I exercised to have my treats.
    With all the tools and support weight watchers gives me, I'm finding that as long as I stay on the path, my fears are irrational.
    Peace!
    Kate

The fear is real!
    Trudie

Yes, even when you think you have it down, it can come back.

I lost 60 pounds and kept it off for 2,555 days in a row. Yeah, SEVEN YEARS. And, then, two years after that, I was 27 pounds overweight.

It didn't happen over night. There was some slow creep, a few pounds, at first. Five or six, no big deal, right? Then, a year later, another 6 or 7 pounds. Then, this year, another 6 or 7 pounds as the year unfolded...followed by a binge where it was another 5 or six. It comes in clips and piles on. (Same way I got fat in the first place.)

Should it have happened? Logically, no - it's not like I don't know the mechanics and math of the program. Why did it happen? There's probably a few labels you can put on it, and, they would all be fair. But, to be candid, the best explanation is "stupidity."

Best advice I could ever give anyone now, as a living example, would be that you should have the fear of regaining the weight. It can and will happen at any time, if you get away from the program.

At this point, I am trying to look at this as a victory that I stopped it at 27 pounds. At least that was half-way of where I was 9 1/2 years ago. It's not easy now trying to get that off. But, it's easier than having to lose 60.

I am just hoping to finish and get to goal. My fear is that so I have the fear now to keep it in order so that if I should accomplish this I will redirect it.