Thread: How Long Does It Take For Overeating To Show On The Scale?

Default How Long Does It Take For Overeating To Show On The Scale?

I just got back from a two-day get-away with my family. And, I threw out everything that I learned from the past 307 weeks and screwed up.

I made terrible food choices and threw portion control to the wind.

I still tracked. And, I figure that I ate about 4 days worth of calories in a two day span.

I'm not going to beat myself up over it. It was two days. I plan on getting back on track today and learning from the experience.

I know that my WPA allowance will help with some of this - but, I over did it, for sure.

How long does it take for this "damage" to show up on the scale? Does it happen quickly or does it take a few days? What's your experience with this type of thing?

I did weigh myself this morning and I'm about 1.5 pounds more than I like to be...but, I don't know if that's bulk and water now or stored fat?

Default Re: How Long Does It Take For Overeating To Show On The Scale?

Hey Supe--I bet some of that is "bulk and water", and a little bloat (I'm thinking that if the foods were prepared not by you nor by magical unicorns, there was a TON of sodium in there too).

Focus on your fruits and veg, drink lots of water, and get right back on the portion-control bus. My bet is that it will be gone as quickly as it came.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

Thanks Kris.

Yes, it was all "eating out." And, that's always risky.
    I did great yesterday, back in the routine. Like I said, the past is the past and I'm not looking back. :-)

Both today and yesterday, my AM weight was back to normal. So, I am now on "Day 3" following my two day slip up and I have not really gained any weight. Does that mean I am in the clear?

I think so. Travel of any sort always shows up as a couple of pounds (or more--the joys of being female) on the scale and usually a few days at home, everything returns to normal.

I think that as we follow the more healthful/whole foods approach, "real world" food affects us more (or maybe now that we're paying super-attention to our bodies, we notice it now whereas we wouldn't before.)

I am feeling better about the whole thing now - three days later.

No gain as of this AM - now four days later. I'm not even going to think about it any more.

Replies

We have those moments. The worst thing we do is beat ourselves up about it. Stop. CW taught me a long time ago here. Write it down and walk it off. Forgive yourself. It's over. You know how to lose.

This week on the news they said it takes less than THREE HOURS for an order of french fries to show up on your waistline. IT STILL can be dealt with. Right?

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Thanks Peg. Three hours on fries? Wow.

Supe! Stop thinking about it!

OK Supe, I am going to give you the kick in the rear that you need.

4 days worth of food??? Sounds like you fell FLAT on your face. That is NOT you, but you are human! While I am not going to say that kind of eating is ok, I will say, learn from it. It's over, put it behind you and focus on moving forward.

I think we are a like. I struggle with forgiving myself when I go off program, I want to be OP everyday. I have found that setting that high of a bar is impossible to maintain. I am learning to forgive myself, and move on. I haven't quite eaten 4 days worth of food, but I have over eaten. I am always learning on this weight loss journey. I NEVER think I've got this weight loss thing in the bag. I always have to be mindful of my OPness. I have to work the program EVERYDAY. Daily I have to choose.

Ok, now to answer your question. Often times when I slip up, I don't see a gain. But if I continue to slide a little a pound will pop up in a few days.
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie - It is funny how we are willing to kick ourselves for going over our DPA two days in a row but we won't pat ourselves on the back for being OP the other 363 days in the year. :-)

So true Supe.
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155