Thread: How Important Is Exercise To Your Maintaining Your Weight Loss?

Default How Important Is Exercise To Your Maintaining Your Weight Loss?

I feel bad any time I see someone who is obese working out in the gym. They don't get it. I was like that - for years, decades, actually.

You're not going to lose a ton of weight exercising. You may lose some. And, if you do lose a lot, it's probably because you were exercising at a pace and intensity that you will not be able to maintain.

Until you get control of what you are eating and how much of it, you will never lose weight and keep it off. Exercise can supplement that effort - but, it cannot replace it.

The best line I ever heard on this was: Exercise may be the queen, but, diet is the king, when it comes to weight management.

That said, you can be skinny and be unfit. That's why exercise is important.

And, I do exercise - five days a week. But, I do that to stay fit and to allow myself some treats - exchanging AP for the points on the treats.

But, this is all me. How about you? How important is exercise to your WW journey and beyond?

Replies

Default Re: How Important Is Exercise To Your Maintaining Your Weight Loss?

You lose weight in the kitchen and exercise to gain health.
    Kimberley

(I hope it's ok that I keep posting here--I'm not at goal or lifetime, I just like the questions...)

So, for me exercise is essential, I won't lose an ounce without exercising (but, exercise alone won't produce any loss, either). I am naturally muscular, when I work out, I can almost immediately (seriously, within a couple of weeks) actually see improvements in tone and my body will take up less space. I think that the muscle is the key. Just walking or running doesn't do much for me except make me sweat.

Supe, I am one of those obese people at the gym, please don't feel bad for us ;-)
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

Sorry Kris - I didn't mean to imply that I am sorry that they are there. It's the opposite. It takes a lot of guts to work out in the gym when you're not in perfect shape. It's intimidating. I just meant that I am sorry for them in the sense that they are working so hard and will not see the pounds fly off, unless they are watching their diet too.

I think exercise is really important for keeping the weight off. It makes me feel good about myself and on the days I exercise I feel like eating better. When I don't exercise I just don't feel like I'm on the program. I also like the flexibility exercising gives me. I always count points but like others have said, exercise just gives me a little extra flexibility in my eating (AP's). All that said, I do think it's important for people to remember that exercise alone won't drop the weight or even keep the weight off.
    Monique

SW: 198
    CW: 145
    WW Goal: 148
    PG: 140

Replies

WHOA wait a minute. Don't you think that obese person in the gym feels horrible enough with all of the trim bodies feeling sorry/bad for him/her?

The day I started WW at 300 lbs I got on my centuries old stationary bicycle and rode for five minutes. My knees hit my stomach. I stayed on that bike for the entire 16 months it took me to lose the weight. Every week I added 5 minutes until I got to 40 minutes twice a day. I eventually changed it to 60 minutes once a day. By then I could see the seat while I sat on it.

It was ALL I could do but boy did it ever take the weight off. Of course CORE WW helped tremendously too. BUT the day I got married in 1980, I was 134 lbs. Right now 30 lbs heavier my legs look and feel better than they did way back then?

It's the bicycle and the walking. Not only that. It's the CONSISTENCY I am being rewarded for. Your body craves some sort of consistency.

So the obese person in the gym might not look great but give him a break he's doing SOMETHING. Also you have NO IDEA what he's doing at home. Give the guy a break.

I feel worse for the folks I see chowing down fat filled foods at any local restaurant. Obese or not.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Peg - my comment had nothing to do with how someone looks working out in the gym.

My point was that I felt sorry for obese people who think exercise is the magic pill for weight loss and maintaining a weight level. Further, my point is that getting control of your food is the only way to really lose weight and maintain. That's it. It was not a commentary on people looking good or not in the gym.

Replies

I was not really saying that either. I guess we both misinterpreted. You really don't know what that fellows motivation is. I have many very physically fit members who are obese. It's an odd combination but I see it a lot.

She was warned.

I know what you mean. I used to share this at meetings in the past: You can be thin and not fit.

I have a friend who is probably 40 pounds overweight, maybe more. He can run 26.2 miles. I am not overweight and I cannot run more than 3 miles without wanting to quit. Same thing in the gym. There are guys in the gym who are much heavier than me, and carrying a lot of fat, who can lift weights much heavier than I can do.

Smile Re: How Important Is Exercise To Your Maintaining Your Weight Loss?

Great Question.........

Is exercise important to maintaining your weight loss ??? Absolutely !!!!!

I would say the single most important factor is controlling the quality and quantity of the food you fuel your body with. JMHO

Karen

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    I do exercise - five days a week. But, I do that to stay fit and to allow myself some treats - exchanging AP for the points on the treats.
    When I hit the meeting where they first explained about activity points, I thought about having a T-shirt made that said "Will Work (out) for Food"

Exercising is as important for maintaining as it is while in losing mode.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Quote Originally Posted by DES2 View Post
    I thought about having a T-shirt made that said "Will Work (out) for Food"
    Nice one! Very cool.

Replies

I've never deliberately eaten my EP's. That gets me into trouble. That's the way my body works. I have a very prescribed (by me) amount of food and that keeps me at goal. A bit above now and I am working on that, just a few to go and then trying to get below, unexplored territory.

She was warned.

I think exercise is important for good health and does aide us in weight loss and in maintenance. But if we don't have the eating figured out, exercise will not take the weight off.

For me, exercise and good eating go hand in hand. When I exercise, I want to eat better. When I am eating better, it's easier to exercise.

I found it interesting that as I have been erratic with my running these past few months, I have only gained 2 pounds. I feared that my lack of running/exercise would cause a bit of an increase in my weight. Not so, really, I am 2 pounds heavier because I eat more. Running keeps me more tone, in better over all health, and it's also good for my mental health...love the feeling of accomplishment when I am done running.

I don't know if I really answered your question Peg, but that's my 2 cents worth on exercise.
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 137.5 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I agree that exercising regularly does make you want to eat better. I know that I want to eat good things to use as fuel when I am working out.

Replies

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a slug. I absolutely hate to exercise. About the only thing I manage to do, and even then not on a regular basis, is walk. I love to walk if I have a purpose, but just to walk for walking sake, no. So, I maintain by watching what I eat. If I was an avid exerciser most likely I could eat more, and I might weigh less. But I'm happy/comfortable with where I am.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies

Been on maintenance for a little over five years - exercise is my new compulsion - that helps me maintain the weight loss, keeps me fit, the yearly doctor physicals in good stead, etc., etc. If I don't exercise I feel the slide and can actually see the wt creep back up. And my exercise these days includes lots of things. Main exercise routines are walking/jogging and yoga (hot and otherwise); but I am also doing ballroom dancing, downhill skiing, swimming, and some basketball.
    MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life....

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)

A good fitness program requires a healthy lifestyle, focus, and a good plan. No doubt exercise is key of fitness, it has plenty of benefits for human. Always remember that it is more important to have a quality workout than to have a long one. Make sure that your fitness workout covers all muscle groups. It is important whether you want to loss weight or just enhance your fitness.

I think sort term goals help too. More so than long term ones that seem like a hugh mountain to climb or a million miles to travel. Even if it's as simple as, "I want to work out five times every week."

Not only am I a lifetime Ww but I'm a lifetime diabetic, who has managed to be a non-insulin dependent diabetic thru diet and exercise. I always enroll in some type of cardio/weight resistance training class for exercise a couple times a week. I love to walk too and do a mile or 2 regularly plus fundraiser 5Ks, 4 or 5 times a year. I feel so much better and healthier when exercise is a regular part of my life. I am so glad Ww includes exercise as an intergal part of their weight loss plan.

Judy
    SW187.5 CW136 GW 128
    LT circa 1970 Rejoined MAY 2000 1st 10% Nov 2000
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step. Confucius

Replies

Exercise makes me feel good and fights off depression. I agree with those who have said basically, "It's all about the food and changing our behavior." Exercise compliments the transition.
    FREEDOM'S just another word for NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE.

OH SO True.... Read in an above post that you 'lose weight in the kitchen and gain health by exercising" Hope I'm close on the quote, can't see it, and I'm a newbie.

I never had a weight problem until I quit smoking (after 50 years), and had no idea how to lose it.
    I love the fact that many people love to exercise and that it makes them feel better. Or that it helps them lose or keep the weight off.
    When I was still working, I had a very strenuous job that consisted of staying in a sweat for 6 hours a night.
    I'm sure that helped me lose. But before that I tried walking, lifting weights, etc. Did not help me lose at all.
    So.... for me, I walk to keep my heart healthy and to earn points for wine.
    I follow the rules of core without cheating to lose weight, and as long as I am sure to get enough protein it works.
    I got lazy and started making little tweaks and gained a few pounds.
    Back on the straight and narrow again. Luckily, I have no health problems except the normal aches and pains that come from aging, and I can no longer walk up steep hills without huffing and puffing.
    My Dr. says that all my tests are perfect and that I am the healthiest Medicare patient she has.

24. Default Re: How Important Is Exercise To Your Maintaining Your Weight Loss?

Exercise and healthy eating must go hand in hand. Also you need to be always motivated; not only to just do it as a routine but to make it as a habit and as part of your daily life.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a slug. I absolutely hate to exercise. About the only thing I manage to do, and even then not on a regular basis, is walk. I love to walk if I have a purpose, but just to walk for walking sake, no. So, I maintain by watching what I eat. If I was an avid exerciser most likely I could eat more, and I might weigh less. But I'm happy/comfortable with where I am.
    I need to update this statement. Since I posted this we moved, I've joined a gym and I've become more addicted to exercise than I ever thought I'd be. I joined because we moved to a climate where I couldn't walk during the winter and was getting NO exercise. I knew I couldn't continue to eat the way I was, and I also wanted to maintain my health and flexibility.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02