Thread: Meeting Room Moments

Default Meeting Room Moments

I don't attend meetings any more. I still weigh in each week. But, my schedule does not allow me to attend meetings.

I miss them - even as a lifetime member. My leader would often ask me to speak to something - to help those who were not yet where they wanted to be, etc.

One time, before the meeting started, a woman came up to me. I didn't know her. But, I knew her face from seeing her in the meeting room.

She said to me "I just wanted to thank you. Every time I go into my kitchen, I see your face and hear your voice saying 'If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you're not hungry' and it really helps me a lot."

Evidently, I must have said that at a meeting and it stuck with her. And, it was awesome that she thanked me for it. It was one of my nicest meeting room moments.

What's yours?

Replies

Default Re: Meeting Room Moments

I'm a receptionist for WW. No desire to be a leader.

One week the topic was who encourages/inspires you? I work 12 meetings a week. In at least three meetings a member used my name.

One member said "When I come here I want to make Peggy smile. I think about that every time I am making a food choice." that was so nice.

The leader said "oh you're afraid of Peggy are you?" the member said "NO, I LOVE Peggy and she keeps me coming here and being successful." That was much too threatening for the leader who is all ego and she just ignored the member. It was hysterical.

Peg

Peg - that's awesome.

And, I can say that a receptionist can add or take away from your WW experience.

The worst thing, for me, is a receptionist says somethng that turns you off. It just starts the meeting off on the wrong foot, before it even starts. And, on the flip side, having a receptionist there who you have a good relationship with does make it a better experience.

Sounds like your members are lucky to have you.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post

And, I can say that a receptionist can add or take away from your WW experience.
    Yup, instead of congratulating a loss, I was chewed out for being way below my WWGW, which was the highest number in my range. It was a number I had picked when I first joined, I was told that I could change it as I got closer to it. It was a later meeting, she was the Leader at that meeting. She had never seen me before, did not know my weight loss history/struggles, and said that to me. I haven't been back to what used to be my regular meeting since.
    Also, it got old reminding my leader when I had hit a milestone in my weight losses. I had to even tell her when I hit goal. The receptionists missed giving most of my recognitions to my Leader. You know, first 5 pounds, 10%, 25 pounds, 50 pounds, and hitting goal. I had to ask for reach sticker, magnet, etc. I often thought it was because I was a old lifetimer, it was like I didn't count. It had been years since I hit lifetime. Poor experience. I went to a meeting just to get the new Points+ stuff in Dec, 2010 and January 2012.

BCB is my WW meeting/accountability.
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I hear you. I've lost 60 pounds through WW and have kept it off since January 2007.

And, I still weigh in each week via open hours at our meeting center. That said, week to week, my weight has some flux. I may be up .8 one week. Down 1.2 another week. Whatever. I've seen it swing as much as two pounds, one way or another, in a given week. But, on average, I always get down to that overall minus sixty.

You would think that the receptionist would recognize that I've been doing this since 2006, and have been a lifetime member for 5+ years, and that people at lifetime will have some gain or loss, week to week?

But, no. The same receptionist at my meeting center will have a tone and a look like I just committed a crime if I'm up 1.2 one week. And, on the flip side, she will act like I just cured cancer if I had a loss of 1.6 in another week. It's so over the top that it's obviously insincere.

How hard would it be to just day "Week to week, there's always going to be some play in the numbers. You've been doing this for so long. You know how it works. Just keep doing what you've been doing for the last five years."?

Replies

When I WI our long standing LT members I say "Hey Lifetimer. You'll be giving lessons soon" Or something like that. I always get a smile and a thank you. I want to recognize that achievement. Or I often say "Can I come home and eat with you for a week?" they love that too.

I was doing my third WI after getting lifetime and my (bad) leader saw I had gained .8. She said "oh Peggy what happened?" I have not been on a scale for her since then. 4 years now. She's frankly WAY below her goal and hiding it too.

It takes all kinds.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

I want to WI with you Peg!

But, no. The same receptionist at my meeting center will have a tone and a look like I just committed a crime if I'm up 1.2 one week. And, on the flip side, she will act like I just cured cancer if I had a loss of 1.6 in another week. It's so over the top that it's obviously insincere.
    umm... that's called maintenance. Maybe you should teach her that.

I want to WI with you Peg!
    Me too!!!
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I once had a receptionist make a face when I came back after a few month break and I had gained weight (maybe 10 lbs?). It was hard enough to go back in the first place but that made the whole experience awful. I stopped going to meetings and it took years to go to another meeting. I'm over it now, or just confident enough to say something if it were to happen again, but I would have thought that would be part of "WW Receptionist 101"- don't make the members quit.
    Monique

SW: 198
    CW: 145
    WW Goal: 148
    PG: 140