Thread: Eating The Same Things

Default Eating The Same Things

From Monday through Friday, 99% of the time, I eat the same things everyday for breakfast, lunch, and snacks.

It's oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. And, for lunch, it's turkey on a multi-grain half roll with one slice of swiss with baby spinach. Along with that sandwich I have some fruit - 99% of the time an apple - and a serving of veggies or another serving of fruit. I also snack on fruit and veggies during the day - usually around 3 PM and 5 PM.

I've heard that you should not eat the same things all the time - because you will get bored with them. But, that's not the case for me with this. In fact, I look forward to each of these things, everyday.

It's good fuel for me and it makes me feel good.

Someone at BCB once told me that it's actually a secret of those who keep the weight off to eat the same things often - because it keeps it simple for you and helps you from eating things that may not be the best things for you, because you need to eat something and may make the wrong choice.

Anyone else on lifetime have this same habit of eating the same things often?

For dinner, and on weekends, I mix it up a lot. And, that keeps it interesting. So, it's not like I totally eat the same things everyday.

Replies

Default Re: Eating The Same Things

Have you joined the National Weight loss Registry? Look for it online and ask to join. You qualify. I filled out all of their informational packets and they send me another yearly. They also send out statistics.

They say that people who successfully maintain any sort of weight loss.... do many things in common.
    I cannot cite them all but here are a few.

They consider their food sort of boring. Food has ceased to be entertainment. They eat basically the same meals all the time.

They do not consider weekends free time. They eat the same on weekends and special occasions. Surely they do enjoy once in a while going off plan but they get right back on.

They manage small gains quickly. Everyone gains now and then but the successful ones see that and get back OP and get it off.

So I also eat the same things day in and day out BUT I LOVE what I eat. I love my recipes and the consistency of my meals. It's no problem at all for me and I think I hear you saying the same thing. I look in the mirror and at my closet and figure OK this is what I have to do to keep this up and it's really a pleasure.

Yes once in a while I moan about WHY I cannot eat what everyone else seems to be eating but really my reward is pretty big and I love being thin.

Peg

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Peg - yes, I joined the NWLR last year. Just did the one year follow up survey with them.
    Maybe that's where I heard about it being OK to eat the same things?

I know what you mean...sure, at times, I would love to have a huge brownie sundae for dessert after a meal. Salt, sugar, fat...it's terrible for you, but, it does taste good.

But, I don't lament not eating it. Instead, I think about how many points that would be...and that's enough to turn me off.

When I look at a donut, I don't see donuts any more. I see the points and how long I would have to exercise to burn those points. And, when I do that, I would rather pass on the donut and not have to do all that exercise.

Replies

Even though I love to exercise. My inherent laziness keeps me honest. I like that. Donut = points = how many hours of sweat!

She was warned.

I've heard the same thing about people sticking to eating mainly the same things day in and day out and how that seems to bode well with weight loss success. I would tend to agree. My diet is rather routine. I love my soup and salad for lunch, pita/bread with peanut butter for breakfast and a bit more variety for dinners. I might switch up breakfasts for a week or so but usually go back to the routine. Then I might get a little bored with my salad and add some nuts or cranberries. Yep, I'm pretty wild! I was just joking with my co-workers that my regular, boring salad is going to be all glammed up next week. Thinking about pulling out the artichoke hearts again
    Monique

SW: 198
    CW: 145
    WW Goal: 148
    PG: 140

So glad it's not just me on this one! :-)

Replies

Honestly I think I'd rather stay at goal than vary my food choices. Tonight I planned a salmon burger and it's very exciting to me as I have ripe avocados and have the points. Small things. Food no longer the entertainment. This is all good.
    When you go to the food store don't you feel pride looking at your basket? I do for sure and people often comment.

She was warned.

That's funny Peg. One of the things that HAS happened to me, since being on WW, is that I am always looking at what other people eat and buy to eat. I do it at work. I do it when we go out to eat. I do it when we are food shopping.

And, know what? The people who eat like I used to eat are all overweight and the people who eat like I do now are generally in good shape.

For years, before WW, I thought that skinny people were just lucky. But, now, I see that you are what you eat.

Smile Re: Eating The Same Things

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy541 View Post

They say that people who successfully maintain any sort of weight loss.... do many things in common.
    I cannot cite them all but here are a few.

They consider their food sort of boring. Food has ceased to be entertainment. They eat basically the same meals all the time.

They do not consider weekends free time. They eat the same on weekends and special occasions. Surely they do enjoy once in a while going off plan but they get right back on.

They manage small gains quickly. Everyone gains now and then but the successful ones see that and get back OP and get it off.

So I also eat the same things day in and day out BUT I LOVE what I eat. I love my recipes and the consistency of my meals. It's no problem at all for me and I think I hear you saying the same thing. I look in the mirror and at my closet and figure OK this is what I have to do to keep this up and it's really a pleasure.
    This is most definitely ........ME !!!

Karen
    HERE WE GO AGAIN !!

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

Replies

Bob Greene's book was one of the first to tackle the food variety issue. He said that we, as a society, are fat because we have too many choices. The body is not historically or genetically geared for such variety. And, in the end, more choices just means more possibilities of making more bad choices. I don't need one ice cream flavour, let alone 39! That being said, I like to have a few standbys per meal. I can't eat the same thing for breakfast everyday, but I can have a few choices that have already been "tweaked" for safety. Plain yogurt with a variety of different fruit. Hot cereal-- oatmeal, cream of brown rice or millet, etc. Homemade crustless quiche. Bagel with light cream cheese, even sometimes toast (without butter!)

It's helpful for me to have a routine around a controlled variety so I know that there are a number of "safe" options that can be made at any given meal.
    Kimberley

Quote Originally Posted by KimberleyW View Post
    It's helpful for me to have a routine around a controlled variety so I know that there are a number of "safe" options that can be made at any given meal.
    Smart thinking!

I think after we have been at goal and maintaining it just becomes your lifestyle. It is just your normal now.
    Positive thinking gets positive results!!!!!!!

Dottie HW: 210.4 SW:203.6 WWG:
    141 CW: 108.5 (5-1-14)

Made lifetime in 2003 and have maintained.

Replies

I've learned that I have no normal. I've maintained for years at a time and thought that I'd never go back. I know all the right choices and can make all the right choices. But I can just as easily make bad choices and get stuck in that rut too. Too many times I've thought that I had this thing licked and that I'd created the "new normal", just to realize that my "old default" will always be lurking in the shadows trying to drag me back down. I don't have to let it drag me down. But I do have to be vigilant/aware of the fact that it *is* always there somewhere.
    Kimberley

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by KimberleyW View Post
    But I do have to be vigilant/aware of the fact that it *is* always there somewhere.
    Kimberley, I've heard another successful WWer maintainer refer to this as her "inner brat". You know, the one who says "I want that!".
    Last edited by Luanne; 04-26-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02