Thread: New food find !

Replies

Default New food find !

Gotta quickly rave about a new food find... Not for everyday fare (especially if you're a vegan or vegetarian - unless you want something quick for company) because it IS high in sodium.

"Creamy Dijon Mustard Turkey Breast Tenderloins"
    2 tenderloins packaged together - in seasoned turkey broth and canola oil
    Total package 30 oz or 1.875 pounds (~7 servings per pkg at 4oz/svg).

Per pkg: One serving (4 oz/pkg) - Protein 21g Carb 4g Fat 4 Fibre 0

Plugged into calculator - 3 points for 4 oz (pkg doesn't state if weighed cooked or raw, so to be conservative I'll figure 1 point per ounce).

The good, the bad, and the ugly (my personal impressions)

~First Impression - exceptionally moist with nice flavor (definitely would NEVER have said it tasted mustard-y. A bit on the peppery side but not hot - I liked it!
    ~Taste - seemed salty to me (I don't salt anything) so just had a bit of non-salty accompanyment with it. (Thought to myself that leftovers would be good addition to bland soup).

The GOOD:
    The package it comes sealed in has a date 2-3 months out - so you can keep it in your refrigerator or freezer for one of those easy peasy "emergency" meals!

The tenderloins are long (about 6-7" each) and small - diameter 1-1/2" (make a circle with your thumb and forefinger) so it's very easy to slice off 1/4" rounds and easily guestimate the total serving weight.

THE BAD:
    Salty - 500 mg sodium per serving (would normally eliminate it for me, but not bad for emergencies given all the plus factors)
    A tad on the pricy side (more than I would normally pay), but everything these days seems to cost > $2.99/lb (I paid $6 for the almost 2 pound pkg).

THE UGLY (potential availability?)
    Distributed in NE Ohio by ALDI's (see Aldi's.com?) - not sure where else
    but my MIL served it to us last weekend (and she NEVER buys her food at Aldi's so I have to believe this is also available at Trader Joe's and elsewhere).
    Susan

�The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.� -Teddy Roosevelt

Replies

Default Re: New food find !

I cooked the package I got from Aldi's Friday night (planning for deliberate leftovers). A couple of quick comments:

~ DH didn't care for the texture (which was one of the things I liked about the one my MIL served). I like moist, soft, meat - he likes his hard & chewy. Said it was "obviously processed" - so I guess it probably wouldn't "impress company" - but it was fast and easy!!

~ The tenderloin my MIL served was long and narrow. When I opened my package there were two large slabs of turkey - roughly the size and shape (and perhaps a bit thicker) than my hand. One served both DH & me with a bit of that one left over PLUS the other one. So I'd say it would comfortably serve 4-6 (my hubby is a tall fellow with an APPETITE - and generally eats more than the average male IMHO).
    Susan

�The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.� -Teddy Roosevelt