Thread: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

Default Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

I haven't lost weight ever as well as I did on the original Core.

And I can't seem to even get back into that.

I didn't save any of my old food journals.

But I recall a lot of oatmeal, yogurt, popcorn, lean meat and fruit and veggies.

I never got into the whole ffsf pudding craze, but I sure did enjoy the Core brownies on occasion.

I NEED to make some lifetime changes, and I especially need to see results in the next two months....

Anyone still have the feeling like thy are doing good old Core but with the new guidelines?

CW 144 - Healthy weight 130...Holy cow, that is already 15 to lose,a nd I should really be closer to 120 since I am only 5'2".

Right now I just need to break 140 and stay there so I can get the 130's going down.
    Teg

2. Default Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

The new plan isn't THAT different than original Core. There are no more once a day rules. Foods are either power foods or not. There are the "three additional categories" for foods that aren't power foods but are no count on SFT. There are a number of foods that are no longer power foods that were core or filling foods in the past and there are some new power foods. Personally, I don't like these changes. I think they messed with the fundamental idea/philosophy of the original core/sft plans. You are always free to follow the old plan if you want. The addition of light breads, artificially sweetened flavored ff yogurts, and ff lunch meats aren't necessary good things for me...along with the deletion of things like pork loin and ground turkey....

Replies

Question Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

You put that very well, Liberal.

The confusing thing for me, too, is the points. It seems that (along with adding: light breads, artificially sweetened flavored ff yogurts, and ff lunch meats) there are more points available for the week.

Is that true, too?...
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

4. Default Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

Thanks Carol. Yes you get 49 weekly points now (point plus values that is). But of course points are figured differently, so you need to be using the new points plus values if you are doing the new plan with the new amount of points!

Default Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Teg

Replies

Question Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
    Thanks Carol. Yes you get 49 weekly points now (point plus values that is). But of course points are figured differently, so you need to be using the new points plus values if you are doing the new plan with the new amount of points!
    That's 49 points for the non-Power foods for the week? (Are they still called "weekly allowance points"?)

So that's like 7 points per day for non-Power foods?

What are you all using your points for? I remember it used to be: whole grain breads, wraps, tortillas, nut-butters or nuts, and some dark chocolate. Or whatever it was that helped you stay on-program for the day!

7. Default Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

Hm, I tried to reply to this but I think my post went "poof"!? YES that is 49 WPAs (still called the same thing though I think it is technically Weekly Points Plus Allowance now) to be used for NON power foods if doing SFT. That is 7 per day if you divide them evenly. And you still have APs (or I guess APPs) now too to use for non power foods. I use mine for things like good chocolate, nuts, regular bread, low fat cheese. You can use them however you want! AND APs are different than before too. You get more of them too, based on what you do, compared to before...So of course you need to be figuring the food points right (when eating non power foods) if you are using the new numbers for WPPAs and APPs.

Replies

Thanks, Liberal. I think I get it!

Have you tried both counting Power Points and the SF technique? Are you having better luck with one or the other?...

Are you eating all your WPPAs and you APPs on SFT?

Or did you say you're sticking with original Core?...

Are you happy with your rate of loss? (Is it comparable to Core?)

Questions, questions, questions.

9. Default Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

Quote Originally Posted by WWCarol View Post
    Thanks, Liberal. I think I get it!
    I have tried to reply to this about four times and keep messing up!!!!
    Have you tried both counting Power Points and the SF technique? Are you having better luck with one or the other?...
    I have done both and like them both, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I hated the old points plan. I am in maintaining mode.
    Are you eating all your WPPAs and you APPs on SFT?
    I eat lots of my WPPAs/APPs doing either one. It varies.
    Or did you say you're sticking with original Core?...
    I am doing the new SFT, but I don't like the changes. I am getting used to them. I think they messed with the fundamental idea of core/sft with these changes.
    Rate of loss...I think it's about the same as the old core. I struggle with eating just a bit too much and therefore tend to maintain on core/sft. I am doing the weight loss version of SFT but maintaining...but then I am at goal...

Questions, questions, questions.

Hope I manage to post this without losing it!

Replies

Lightbulb Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

Thank you, Liberal. Your answers were what I was expecting, based on the reading I've been doing.

I think Core did an amazing job of directing people to healthful food choices. I loved that everybuddy was trying: brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat couscous, polenta, BULGAR, etc. for the first time back then. Everybody fought against losing their daily sandwiches, but a whole new world opened in return.

Core food WERE filling-foods. High energy density filling sating foods.

I do not think light bread is a filling-food. Nor do I think PROCESSED ff lunch meats are a good choice for anyone... But that's just me.

I'm watching "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" and "Addicted To Food" on Oprah's OWN network. Both eye-openers.

All the foods I eat are inconvenient! LOL!

I appreciate your response. I've been waiting to hear somebuddy say, "Boy, I am losing weight like crazy!" on this. Even slow-and-steady would be great. Any buddy?...

11. Default Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

I think the new points plan is great for weight loss. If I really want to lose I should switch back to that.

They picked the new power foods based on looking at categories of foods and picking the ones that were "healthiest" within their GROUP, filling and points bargains, that's how light breads, ff lunch meat and artificially sweetened yogurts made the cut. They are the "best" of their group. They make SFT more convenient and make it appeal to the kind of people for whom it was unappealing before. But I'm afraid they made it unappealing to those who loved it before. Really I bend the rules in a few places...with things that are more like the old plan.

ANd I think you meant low energy density not high ;-)

12. Default Re: Refresh my memory - How is this new plan different from the original Core?

I would like to add that the other difference with SFT to the old Core is you can now switch within the week. For instance if you want you can count points during the week and do SFT on the weekend...Whichever you want. With the low cal breads now being Power Foods it does make the SFT more flexible than the old Core. Also ground chicken or turkey are not power foods now because in stores they grind whatever together ( light and Dark meat) but if you grind your own from chicken breast or turkey they would be a power food.