Thread: Larabars

Default Larabars

Anyone eat these? I've never tried one. Is it worth the P+ value? Are they really that filling - more so, than, say, a Quaker Low-Sugar Instant Oatmeal combined with an apple and 12 almonds?

Or, are they just good in case you're on the run and really can't sit there and eat the oatmeal, apple and almonds?

Replies

Default Re: Larabars

I used to make my own LaraBars because they're so flipping expensive. Bought some dates (sometimes splurged on medjool dates) and cashews (like those better than almonds) and would grind them up. I'd even put some cocoa in there to make it chocolate. MUCH better!!

Yes, they are high in points because of the nuts and concentrated sugar in the dates. With the P+ program having fresh fruit for free, I haven't had any dried fruit in months. Compared to other options, you can make your points go further. However, if you're wanting to have something sweet and with nuts, you can't go wrong!!
    Kimberley

Thanks Kimberley. Agreed, it doesn seem like you can get more bang for your points with other options. Again, I've never tried them. I suppose they could be a good post-workout snack if you're on the run and don't have time to do something else.

Replies

I would agree, except the "science" seems to point to aiming for complex carbs (low fat) post-workouts as the body will look to burn the carbs whereas something like Larabars are very high in fat. From what I've read, the Larabar would be good for an on the go portable breakfast. I can't quite remember why having the healthy oils in the morning was better, I just remember reading that. Most experts point to having a carb-based snack post workout and then a protein rich meal a few hours later.

Of course, all of this is for peak performance, not necessarily for health reasons. I'm not training for the Olympics so I don't follow it all to a "T"! LOL
    Kimberley

Kimberley - regarding what to eat before and after, you may find this interesting. Related, the Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar does have 7 grams of protein. But, there are also many Larabars with less protein than that.

Replies

Interesting read SB! I used to have everything all plotted out. I'd read The Hormone Diet which really made me think about how I structured my day, how and when I ate my food, the importance of rest and making sure to not blow out my adrenal glands (hard not to do when training for a marathon). I was vegan and also followed the "Thrive" program for food&fitness. But sometimes it all got to be a bit too regimented so I try to do what I feel like doing in the moment while also keeping some of these suggestions in mind. But I'm not in training right now so I don't live by it like I used to. I think that even when I do get back into training mode, I won't be so regimented this time. Life's too short!! LOL
    Kimberley