Thread: SFT Saturday - weekend plans?

sodacracker Guest

Default SFT Saturday - weekend plans?

Good Morning!

Funny story - DD and her friend went to a party last night. They do not drink, are underage and have never gone to this kind of party before where they knew other kids would be drinking. Both were worried about social pressure to drink and were worried about being seen just drinking pop. I bought them some "coolers" from the grocery store, juice in a cooler shaped bottle.

When I picked them up they were all giggly and exuberantly told me that their coolers had 5% alcohol and that they felt tipsy, dizzy and a little sick.

I was shocked! These were from the grocery store and you cannot buy alcohol in a grocery store in our province.

At home they showed me the bottle and we saw that it said .5 % alcohol

The girls had talked themselves into feeling drunk and were so relieved and also amazed that they had physically felt the symptoms of what they imagine being drunk feel like without any alcohol at all

On the flip side though I was appalled to hear that a mom bought two girls a 26 ounce bottle of vodka to share ( and that they had - about 3/4 of the bottle) and that some of them had been allowed to "pre" drink at home to save money??!!?

Anyhow, a nice lazy weekend which is good, as I have a cold, DS and DH are recovering from a cold. I might buy an e-book reader with a gift certificate I have.

Anyone use one of these? Mine will have to be from Chapters Indigo, although I hear the Sony e reader is the way to go as it can read anything including public library downloads.
    Last edited by sodacracker; 02-19-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Replies

Default Re: SFT Saturday - weekend plans?

I don't have an e-reader yet. My cousin uses the Sony and loves it. Our library does not have e-books yet, so my choice of e-reader will likely depend on what is compatible with their future e-books.

Helping some at Dad's house today. My younger brother, my DH, and my DF are all working to replace a door, build a cabinet, and repair some wood sub-flooring. I ran for lunch for them, and to the pharmacy for DF. They all wanted In and Out burgers (double cheese burgers, fries and soda) for lunch. I thought better of that for myself, and came home to make some salad and heat up some lentil soup. I'll head back again after I finish.

Soda, it sounds like your DD was at a dangerous party!
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Replies

Thumbs up Re: SFT Saturday - weekend plans?

I think it's proven you can get "contact highs" being around other people who are drinking, etc. What a great lesson to learn so early. You can get goofy and not drink!

I got the Kindle for my b'day. I had read, researched (did all the comparisons), and finally decided the best way to handle it was to just GET one!

I got the 3G that doesn't require going to a WiFi place like Starbucks to download books (but you sure see a lot of people doing that these days).

Anyway, someone had recommended a book while my mom was dying. I pressed "buy" and I had the book in my house in 1-second. And I was able to read it and use what I had read immediately.

I love it. I order lots of "free samples" to see if I want to buy a book for my library (in the clouds ). I don't see how you couldn't like it, Soda. I put a cover on it with a built-in retractable booklight. I read each night now, without disturbing DH in bed...

There are lots of built-in body memories that are funny...After I'd press to "turn the page" in my mind I could see (and feel) my finger flipping a real page over. Probably that will extinguish after time using the ebook reader.

The Nook is supposed to be great for kid's books with color and illustrations. Just make your best guess...and then GET one! LOL. (You can always pass it on if you upgrade.) And there are many issues that won't be resolved immediately (like sharing books), so that's why I recommend just-doing-it

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Hi Donna!

Your job sounds dangerous, too... Picking up take-out.

You can get tons of free books on the Kindle, too.

Both Barnes and Noble and Borders are struggling; Borders is going bankrupt. That makes you wonder, too. But they are reassuring their e-book readers that everything will be alright.

sodacracker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *WWDonna* View Post
    Soda, it sounds like your DD was at a dangerous party!
    I know! And this was the "good" kids, all on the student council and so on. DD did say that she enjoyed herself, and that most of the kids were just sipping beer and playing guitar, but there were a few that were focused on drinking as much as possible. Gross!

Carol I will get the kobo today. I so rarely read anymore ( and was a book a day reader for decades) and do not have time to go to the library, so am hoping the e-reader will increase my reading again, plus everyone can use it in the family. DS may be intrigued by its digital format.

Replies

I bought the first generation of ebook readers. I bought hundreds of books. And then they went under, regardless of promises to keep the content. I was able to get a flash card to load them but the reader doesn't really work any longer so the books are basically useless.

We've got an iPad. You can load the Kindle ereader on it, as well as books from the iTunes library. Soon, the iPad will have the functionality of a Kindle, being able to buy every single title. They're working that out right now. The quality difference between the iPad and the Kindle is great. Plus, the iPad is basically like a computer that does email, FB, and internet as well. We didn't get 3G on it as it would be an extra $40/mth to put that package on the iPad but we have wireless at home so we're fine!!

Soda- It boggles the mind. I don't get it. Our generation of parents raised our children in a bubble, petrified that someone would kidnap them or molest them. And here we are GIVING them alcohol, sending them to parties where they are likely going to pass out, get kidnapped to a room and more than molested. Give me a break. What disgusts me is that this is the norm. I've heard this same story from so many people. Alcohol poisoning is rampant around here too-- especially with boys putting roofies into girls' drinks. One of our neighbours' daughters was paralyzed for a day after taking a drink at a college dorm party. Never drink anything unless it comes in a bottle and the top was on when you got it!!!
    Kimberley

sodacracker Guest

I know, it is scary. I never worried about my drinks being spiked, or of people videotaping me drunk and posting it on line (although I was such a control freak I never allowed myself to get drunk at a party).

I talked to the girls this morning about alcohol poisoning, frosh week deaths that happen every year all due to alcohol, and impaired judgment about everything when you are drinking.

I bought the Kobo and do not see buying books that often, but downloading from the library. It came with 100 classic books so I think i will start with reading some of those to DS. that is the most reading I do these days. I just finished reading three Farley Mowat books to him.

Replies

Smile Re: SFT Saturday - weekend plans?

Someone showed me an iPad and a Kindle in real life before I decided, K.

I really wanted the smaller, hold in one hand, stick it in your purse, reader. (But I wouldn't mind having an iPad, too! DH could have it.) I hated a monthly fee, though!

My DD has the Kindle ap (free) on her iPhone. She loves to read that way.

See, Soda. So many things to consider...

Replies

Wow. You got one! I'm reading (free) Sherlock Holmes. You can download all of Jane Austen in a second. Nothing like having Mr. Darcy 24/7/365...

Replies

Love Farley Mowat! The reason why my mother hasn't bought an iPad yet is that you can't get ebooks from the library on it yet. Once they get that technology sorted out, we might have to buy a second one here. Jeff has countless computers but he bought the keyboard stand for the iPad and he uses that for *everything* now!!
    Kimberley

Replies

And will it read audio books aloud yet, K?...

DH drags an old laptop out when he gets obsessed about something (cars usually) and I know he'd love an iPad. It's interesting to watch everything getting "sorted out". It just doesn't seem right that you can't "share" books since you can share real books! It took awhile for the whole music business to get sorted out (with iTunes and free sharing, etc.) but it eventually did.

Last night I bought Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel in the darkness of my bedroom...and started reading.

On the bright side, I got a new neti pot and used it carefully last night. This morning my vertigo is much better. Good news before going to the oral surgeon tomorrow morning! And the sun is shining! That really brightens my mood ~

My challenges are: exercising while it's cold, and staying on program during the evening. I've got mornings and afternoons down pat!

MAKE IT GREAT, Buddies!

sodacracker Guest

volunteering today for 4 hours so just about to get ready to head out.

The Kobo reader is very nice but I am having trouble figuring out how to download library books into it. i amusing a software called caliber that was recommended but just need to spend some time sorting through the technology.

I know an experimental musician who has an ipad and he said it replaced a lot of his electronic controllers that he had been using.

The screen is shiny though, right? I do not like glare so the e- reader, so far, is ok for my eyes.

Soda - That does sound like a scary party to me. My DD is 18 now and has never and I expect never will go to a party where alcohol is even an option. I never went to one. If there is alcohol it is place neither of us belong. Just personal opinion of course. Glad it all turned out o.k. for your DD and her friend. Wise woman to give them a talk about the effects of alcohol too.

The e-reader is something I have been wanting as well. Not for me, but for my DD she is a reader that won't stop. But, she does not want one. She likes the feel of books, flipping the pages of books and she just can't bear the thought of them being condensed electronically. Now, isn't that a hoot!!!! I just look at her and laugh. So until she gives in to letting me get one for her I will just continue to read reviews. I would like the get the most functional one, but don't know what that is. Borders' Book Store is her favorite right now, sad to hear they are in financial trouble but do understand why that is coming about too.

My weekend has been work and off to see Prince Caspian on stage and now back to work. I peeked at the scale and to date it appears I have gained nearly 5 pounds now. I have stayed withing points but continue gaining instead of losing. UGH!!! This is really not working for me. I want to exercise but so many joints in my body are hurting that I can barely drag to the computer at a slow pace. So thinking of seeking out the help of a physician next week, the question is what kind and who. Decisions, decisions.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

Replies

The iPad's screen is shiny. Some think it shouldn't even be in the e-reader category because it does sooooooooo much more than that.

I had considered the bigger Kindle (thinking of older eyes) but in reality I didn't like holding it. It's fun to have a smaller one in one hand, pressing a bar on either side to flip pages forwards or backwards. There is a learning curve. It was fun. Last night I wondered about a certain word...just clicked on it and BAM...there was the definition.

I have a lot to learn, still.

Replies

This morning I was putting away the laundry. I was out of room even in the overflow closets. I have clothes from size 6 all the way up to the size 14-16 that I currently wear. I'm always thinking that I'm getting back down into those 6s and it won't be long, so I'm keeping them.

This morning one of the overflow racks broke so I am forced into action. I'm folding up the size 6 and 8s to make room in the closet for the clothes that fit currently. Not what I intended to do today!

Started my day off with red river hot cereal, cherries, banana and almond milk. Breakfast of champions!
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.

So sorry you have to do that job today. About a year ago I went through my closet and got rid of everything that was size small and medium. I decided it was silly for me to hold on to them all these years. Obviously I was not getting back down to that size. I am a size 18/20 basically and no sense in thinking I will ever be small again. If I am, I will splurge and buy new things. It is hard to part with some and some I did keep if for no other reason sentimentality. But trying to be rational and reasonable with my very, very limited space for storage. Good luck with getting that straightened up.

Mickee

Replies

I took a break and went over to Dad's house where the remodeling is ongoing today. Dad had just left to get lunch for the guys. Double cheeseburgers, fries and cokes again. Weird for me that it is easier for me to resist that food than it is for me to resist stopping at the market for some other off-program/"not in my plan today"food.

I did manage to make it home without stopping anywhere. Made a lovely lunch of stir fry mushrooms/onions/red pepper/garlic/kale, with 4 baked falafel balls, and 2 small oranges.

Now, back to work on that closet mess!
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.

Donna that lunch sounds wonderful!!!! Don't overdo it too much. Take that closet project a little at a time and you will get it done. I think I might try the meal you described tomorrow. I bought some kale and had no idea what to do with it and you gave me an idea. I think I will have mine with a side of brisket though, that is cooking in the oven now.

Mickee

Replies

I'm sick. AGAIN. It must be some kind of repeat Saturday evening to Monday morning kind of thing. I got the boys off to their curling bonspiel (pix on my FB account), stayed for a bit and then came home. My parents drove Jeff & the boys back. I had one slice of whole wheat bread w/a touch of PB&J this morning, then some carrots with hummus at lunch. Dinner was a little bit of chicken breast w/baked potato&touch of margarine and some heavenly hash ice cream. I'm still under my Target but I won't be eating anything else this evening, unless it's some fruit.

I'm a bit perturbed as the scale will be up tomorrow. Perhaps I'll just skip the WI so I won't get discouraged. It's also my sister's family birthday party and we've got a movie (w/popcorn) as well as pizza & ice cream cake scheduled for tomorrow. I'll either have to be very careful with my choices or else resign myself to not having any WPAs for the rest of the week. It will be my hungry PMS week so I think that I might try to avoid the pizza and opt for movie popcorn and some ice cream cake.

Carol- Not sure if the iPad reads the books out loud. It's got a speaker. Jeff watches things on it-- mostly graduate university lectures on quantum mechanics and the like....

Mickee- I'm with your daughter. I love to read actual books. But, I also love ereaders at night because it's so much easier!! Sorry about the continued weight gain. Perhaps it is time to try another WOE and see if your body reacts differently. BTW, I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to get the WW books off to the next person. I kept forgetting to take it to my parents' but I've got a regular sized CD burned and the mini is off in the mail!!

Donna- I gave away EVERYTHING when I lost the weight. I told myself that if I didn't have the bigger clothes, I would never regain the weight. And then I spent the better part of a year watching my spandex get tighter and tighter. I need to make a rule that I can't let my jeans get too tight because spandex can hold 50 extra pounds (and perhaps even more-- didn't want to test that! LOL)
    Kimberley

Kimberley - Sorry you are sick, hope you feel better soon. That is o.k. about the CD. I kept meaning to ask you about it but then would forget once I got here. I am really, really thinking of going to a new doc, nutritionist, about this issue. I am sick of feeling sick and trying to eat correctly and the scale going up instead of down. When I go I may be in for some test as I am having terrible issues with GERD right now even if I just drink water. With no insurance that is not going to be fun.

Donna - I do keep clothes just above and below my weight but not any farther than that because it is too easy to fill them up. I am in sweats now as the elastic makes it wonderful to go either way. Not good, I know.

Mickee

sodacracker Guest

Caught a cold from DH, via DS, via his friend that slept over last weekend, sniff.

Today I counted points instead of SFT for my last day of the week. I ran out of WPA's, did not have access to many Power food and decided the best course of action was to eat 29 points versus just going off program. Salty foods though, and with WI tomorrow I am chugging water to flush everything out.

Family monopoly game scheduled for tomorrow and breakfast out as it is a holiday here called... Family Day!

Books! I was a book a day reader for decades but the advent of digital media means I am a compute reader most of the time now. I did like being able to read in the car while waiting to pick up D today from work.

If I had more money I would have got the Sony e reader as it can read all sorts of documents. The Kobo interface is frustrating me a bit, but it is still new.

Replies

Once I started cleaning the closet, I was amused when I realized I had considered stopping for "not in my plan today" food on the way home.

I really want to wear some of those cute clothes! Truthfully, I think I have enough clothes for 20 women.

I've packed away the size 6-12s. Hanging in the closet are size 14 and 16 bottoms, and size L tops. I am grateful there are no XL that fit. (Also, there are no XL in the house.) When these are too big, I'll pack them away and move to the size 12 box. It will be just like Christmas!

I'm sorry to hear most of you have colds.

Dinner tonight was baked butternut squash, baked green pepper, steamed broccolini, small amt of triple rice medley (brown rice, black barley and radish seeds from Trader Joe), 1 serving tempeh, and a baked apple. I had some turnips that had been around a long time so I baked them while the oven was on. Then I tossed them out! Don't know if roasted turnips are supposed to be good, but mine weren't.

DH turned his nose up at the dinner I had prepared. Instead he choose a dinner of an entire box of Girl Scout Cookies and a large glass of skim milk.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.