Thread: SFT Thursday Feb. 17

sodacracker Guest

Default SFT Thursday Feb. 17

Woohoo another night of not eating anything after dinner. Also a very successful day saying no to candy and ice cream at work yesterday

DS and DS now have colds, I can feel the back of the throat tickle myself so oil of oregano is my method to try and avert the virus from taking hold.

I will have to keep you all updated on the saga of DS and his push to be allowed to "date" this girl in his class. I still cannot get over this behaviour and last night when I said it was OK to be friends with lots of kids in school but he was too young to have girlfriends, he told me that she was more than a friend and that they had so much in common , "well except for sports".

I meet every other week for coffee with a group of parents of learning disabled kids. One of my friends is an Educational Assistant in public school with 10 - 12 years olds and she said they were recently told that about 30% of the kids they work with have played, or watched Grand Theft Auto. I am only familiar with this title in terms of hearing how violent it is and, of course, totally appropriate for kids. She said she hears them talk about the "death cam" in class and how riled up they get when describing the game. It sounds gruesome and horrible.

We have purposefully sheltered our kids from most TV , reality shows and other questionable content. I feel like the introduction to this school is like a crash course in everything I dislike about how children are treated like mini adults and pushed too early to behaviour that is developmentally wrong.

DS , on the other hand loves it!

And, it has not escaped me that in his desire to have this girl over to show her his house and hobbies, he is upstairs practicing his guitar and cleaning the living room!
    Last edited by sodacracker; 02-17-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Default Re: SFT Thursday Feb. 17

Alright, so yesterday I did a lot of WAPs, because I was out pretty much all night doing taxes, getting art supplies, getting prints done, packing and shipping parcels. So I ended up going out to eat, which I NEVER do and I remembered why. Every time I eat out, I feel sickly.
    I also packed an awesome lunch today (you have no idea how proud I am of myself!) I don't recall the last time I ate a salad - yeah, I know it sounds ridiculous coming from someone who eats a plant based diet. I just wanted to tell someone how proud I was of my lunch today ha ha, it looks so pretty!

Tonight, I will NOT go overboard on my WAPs. I've been planning my week so well and want a huge loss this week!

Soda - I'm so sorry your DS is giving you troubles/attitude. It seems a little young to start being interested in girls. It seems we had a similar upbringing. I wasn't allowed to see certain movies/content/non-violent video games (only Mario-based ones). Although, I will admit - when I turned 12-13 I had a boyfriend, and all these undiscovered things made me very curious and I wasn't the most pleasant teenager (although not terrible! I was very open with my parents).

With this day and age and how children are with cell phones, and just on the computer all the time looking up god-knows what - I couldn't imagine knowing what to do as a parent.
    I think it's to be expected for your son to be curious about these things and because he was never exposed to it, he will have interest in it, especially if other kids are into it.

I'm not sure how you could bring this up with him, it must be such a stressful situation!

Replies

On day 4 of my journal week. Going well. Have a good amount of WPAs left. Even got in a FIRM workout (cardio only) with Claire yesterday. Will make sure to get some exercise today as well. Oatmeal for breakfast. Tofu & quinoa for lunch. Dinner will likely be buckwheat pasta w/tomato sauce & veggies!

Soda- We had our kids in the Waldorf school for years. No TV, computers, video games. It was definitely a crash course when we moved them to the public system three years ago!!!
    I hear you on the evening snacking. I've been so hungry at night lately. I don't want to have fruit in the evening though because it will spike my blood sugar. And I'm too hungry to just have veggies. So, I've been having baby carrots with humus. It's a dinger in the points but that's what they're there for!!

Michelle- I rarely eat salads as well. They hit my "diet" button. Too many plain iceberg salads with a Kraft dressing. But, when I do get a restaurant salad or make something more "gourmet", I really do like them!!
    Kimberley

Replies

Ugh! I never eat plain iceburg salads with Kraft dressing! I never even see people buying iceburg lettuce.

All of my salads are more "gourmet". I use a large 5 cup container. The base is baby spinach and another green, like spring mix or baby romaine. Then I add onion or green onion and mix that together. I've been adding radishes, tomato and sliced mushrooms. Then I add either canned low sodium beans, or some leftover (or planned over!) cooked veg, like roasted beets or green beans.

I've not been using any commercial dressings. I have some "gourmet" balsamic vinegars that I really like. Dr F uses hummus mixed with the BV. I don't even go to that much work. I use 4 tbsp low fat hummus, then put the BV on top.

Lately I've been wanting to spread out and try a few more dressings. I found a Chef AJ house dressing recipe which I altered. It is good but not great. I have two new recipes for orange miso and another one for lemon miso with dill that I will try.

I also made the Yumm Sauce that WWCarol has on her website. It is really good to use in place of sour cream, or if I want some extra flavor on cooked veg. I was thinking I could experiment with it and make some kind of new salad dressing.

This is my last week on disability. It ends on 2/21, and my first day back to work is 2/23. Really, I am looking forward to getting back into the groove.

Heavy rain here today.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

sodacracker Guest

How is the pain level Donna?

Replies

Pain is manageable with regular Tylenol. My knee hurts worse now than my thigh. I think I'll be ok to return to work.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.

sodacracker Guest

did you hear anything about the bone scan yet?

Donna- I'm so glad to hear that you're doing ok.-hugs-

Replies

Yes, bone scan shows 2 nodules, one within the bone and one outside the bone. When my dr returns from vacation mid-March, he will speak to oncology.

Still, the pain is improved. Such a waiting game!
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.