Thread: SFT - Thursday - Feb 10 - One bite at a time...

Default SFT - Thursday - Feb 10 - One bite at a time...

Starting the thread today so I can go tackle laundry...

First, I need a food plan for the day. Haven't eaten yet, soo here is a PLAN
    Also need to make a grain for the fridge. WIll do that while start the soup cooking and make my eggs.

O, I can do this.

eggs and 1/2 mini bagel
    applesauce and seeds
    veggie burger on flat bread
    snack? smoothie?
    mixed bean soup with added green beans

My day needs to be spent managing the mountain of laundry. We all have 10x more clothes than we need, so laundry is a ridiculous chore - too much to wash, too much to fit in dressers and closets, too many choices. The solution would be to pare it down, but that would require making decisions - which I am LAME at. (This all looks so silly in writing. I dererve to look silly for this.)

Haven't been to Jazzercise this week. First, dd5 really doesn't like the playroom, and she is so good and so easy that taking her somewhere like this makes me feel so bad. I will have her bring her own bag of stuff tomorrow. Second, I don't have workout clothes organized - back to the laundry issue. Shoudl remedy this today. Plan to go tomorrow.

Party on Sunday for dd's bday. Must make house presentable.

Have a great day...it's the only one we have.
    Teg

Replies

Default Re: SFT - Thursday - Feb 10 - One bite at a time...

Good Morning!

My ankle is still not doing well. I didn't think I twisted it that badly on Monday night. It wasn't too painful on Tuesday. But yesterday was really bad. I hope Claire doesn't have the same experience or else she'll be in a lot of pain today. I honestly can't see how she's going to go to the tournament this weekend when she's limping and hopping up the stairs.

In OP news, yesterday I found myself at my Target after lunch. I was 3 days into my week and had only touched a few WPAs but I still am trying to adjust to how I'm going to use them. I wasn't ready for dinner so just had some fruit and veggies, but got hungry in the evening and wound up having some hummus with baby carrots (3 points). I don't want to get in the habit of having fruit in the evening if I'm hungry and trying to avoid using WPAs. My blood sugar levels can't handle fruit at night so I'm going to have to either keep things on a better even keel all day long (no big lunch/afternoon splurges) or else spend the points in the evening for something low on the glycemic index if I need a snack before bed. Progress over time.....

Today, my plan is oatmeal for breakfast, *finally* getting to the red lentil pasta w/cauliflower and tomato sauce for lunch (had leftover homemade pizza for lunch yesterday) and I've got some veggie chile defrosted in the fridge for dinner. I'll plan to do one of the yoga DVDs that has us lying on the mat instead of doing standing power poses!

Bridget- The easiest solution is to stop buying clothes for a while. Eventually they'll outgrow everything and then you can buy only on an "as needed" basis. My boys have a ridiculous amount of tshirts. They get them from family members who go on trips as well as every sport team or school event that has tshirts. I had to buy them new dressers to hold it all but now they're low on pants!! LOL

Soda- Hang in there with the evening snacking. I know that's one of the first things I have to tackle when I get back OP. Our bodies don't need it and it's really hard to lose any weight at all when we eat too late at night. I try to cut myself off completely by 6pm because otherwise my resolve is too low at night and I start to make bad choices!!

Michelle- I seem to be doing fine with the new program. I usually have 3-4 servings of fruit per day. I'm weighing/measuring/journaling things so I'm pretty confident I'm counting the right amount of points. The scale is going down. I like the new program!
    Kimberley

Kimberley - Will you share what works for you with managing your blood sugar, please. I think I have a very small window of eating just right for how it makes me feel. Meaning - sometimes I get a headache right after I eat - I am trying to figure out why. Sometimes I get so tired - I know that would be from eating too too much, but last week I got that feeling and it was from maybe just a bit too much. And that was a healthy and I thought balanced meal. I do have blood glucose monitor, but really just play around with it, not sure how to be scientific about that just yet.

Hope your ankle improves. Good idea with the yoga.
    Teg

Getting in here late, but better late than never.

Kimberley - I was hoping your ankle was doing better. I have never injured my ankle but have my knee and know what it can be like. Do you check your blood sugar to see what works and what doesn't? Mine has been going down since I have been eating All bran and milk at bedtime. Keep in mind my bedtime is somewhere in the neighborhood of midnight to 1 a.m. I am a night owl. We eat dinner sometimes at 10 p.m. I am going to try to make it a bit earlier as I am starting to take collagen and it is best taken on an empty stomach. Cabbage at night helps my blood sugar too. Grapes are horrid on it.

Teg - Do you have diabetes? I see you have a glucose monitor. I am told to check mine first thing in the morning. That is a fasting blood sugar. Usually that is the only time I test unless I really feel yuck or want to see how a certain food affected my blood sugar. In that case, wait 2 hours after you eat and test then. That will give you an idea of how you are doing. My goal for morning blood sugar is 100 or less, after eating up to about 140 is o.k. for me. Also, I see you do Jazzercise. There is a groupon for Jazzercise today and wondered how you like it. I need to lose 80 pounds so obviously not in the greatest shape. Is is doable for someone my size??? Have to make a decision today to take advantage of the groupon.

I am still having issues keeping points down. Will have gone over 10 points today, by the time I get dinner and bedtime snack in. I want the dairy from the farm but the points are eating me up. I NEED the All Bran and milk at night so that can't be cut out. I guess need to get creative and do a bit better planning. Maybe one day I can go back to SFT.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

sodacracker Guest

super late, will be back late,r just off to a meeting : )
    Still OP though!

Replies

I don't check my blood sugar. I'm prediabetic, especially when I'm not OP and have gained weight. I always have to be careful when I eat sweets. If I even have fruit right before bed, I wake up the next morning feeling hungover. If I have something "major" like ice cream before bed, I will get the sweats, overheat, go to the bathroom multiple times and then wake up hungover the next day!!

I try to balance my meals and always combine my sweets in meal-- have some maple syrup with oatmeal in the morning, any dessert I have after a meal is eaten immediately afterwards. I don't tolerate sweets on their own well at all.

Bridget- I have to monitor what I eat for headaches as well. Anything processed, with chemicals, preservatives or additives will trigger a headache. I get bad headaches if I wait too long in between meals to eat as well. It might help to mark down on your journal when you get headaches and see if there's a common trigger. I have to take it easy with grapefruit as it can give me headaches. Other citrus fruit is okay though!
    Kimberley

That is where I was too. Prediabetic. But my numbers kept going up as did my weight. So now I am on medication and still monitor my numbers. I was told if I could lose 20 pounds it would go away. I usually only test in the morning and if I have had a big meal or a sweet snack. The headaches are issues for me right now, dizziness too. If I could get my weight under control then I think I would be o.k. but have not managed to do that yet. I can't eat citrus as it causes reflux, so that is not an issue. I stick to banana's and grapes, blueberries and strawberries as staples and am trying to force myself to eat apples now.

Mickee

Replies

Fortunately, diabetes is the one train ride I have not had to take.

I am feeling good today!

What are you all eating for salad dressings? I am bored to death with the hummus/balsamic vinegar combo I have been using for eons.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Donna - I am glad you are feeling good today. I would like to experiment making some dressings but so far haven't. I just stick to my Hidden Valley Ranch. It is what I like and don't mind spending a few points for it. In fact am going to make a salad in just a few minutes.

Mickee

Replies

I struggle most with dressings and sauces. I can't buy any bottled/package stuff and I'm often way too lazy to make anything with too many ingredients or if it takes too long to make. And then I get bored with the same old limited number of things left!! It's really the biggest hurdle for me because it's so hard to get those tastes just as you want them!
    Kimberley

Mickee - I wrote a response about the Jazzercise, and now it is not here....I wonder if you can still get the coupon? I had one to use online and I got a discount.
    jazzercise is fun - it is a dancing and marching and kicking. It is lovely - but there are alternate moves that they teach you for when you have to be more low key. I hope if you try it that you will like it. There are all ages and sizes of women in the classes.

I have to get motivated to go tomorrow since I have so much to do here that I don't really feel like going out for that.

I am not diabetic, but UI definately have "something" with my blood sugar. What you said about testing helps, thanks.
    Teg

sodacracker Guest

Hi everyone, Finally made it here to post just as I am about to go to bed!

Stayed on track today, even took my dinner pasta in a thermos to tonight's meeting to eat and avoid the potato chips, wine and other foods put out.

Interesting reading about the blood sugar and diabetic issues some of you have.

Did you know WW Carol's husband, who was diabetic, eliminated his need for his medications by following a vegan diet? Follow the link to their story.

Kimberly, I was doing great on no night time eating until the Dr told me it was ok to eat an hour after my thyroid pill that I take at 10 p.m.

It probably is if you do not have to lose weight, so I am back to no food after 7 p.m.

off to sleep, best way to avoid night time snacking.

Donna stay in touch with us about what is going on - I worry

Soda - I know this is an odd question, but......You take your thyroid at night???? Is your doctor o.k. with that? I did that for years and years and was hospitalized last year and really got reamed out about it. They said you are supposed to take it in the morning. Don't you know this ups your metabolism for you while you are awake. Most people can't take it at night as it gets their blood pumping and adrenalin going and keeps them awake. Plus a few more things I can't remember. The jest of it, was I stopped doing it. I get up and take it first thing in the a.m. wait 1 hour and then eat. Just curious about you taking it at night, as I did that too for a long, long time.

Mickee

sodacracker Guest

Apparently it is the fasting part that seems to make the difference.

I did not have any symptom,s other than a low thyroid reading, and have not noticed any changes since taking it about 3 months now. It does not affect my sleep.

To be honest I received no instructions on how to take it, the pharmacy provided one vial that said do not take with dairy and the second vial said take on an empty stomach. I learned from my research that you also have to avoid flax, soy, greens like kale and spinach, high fiber, calcium and multi vitamins in meals close to the dose.

I mentioned what I was doing at my last DR visit and got no response other than to say that I only needed to wait 2 hours to be considered having an empty stomach and one hour after eating, to start eating again. He said it did not matter when I took it as long as it was at the same time every day.

So, as it is easier to take at night, I do.

One person I know went the naturopathic route and I am curious to see what she takes and how her test results change.

That is about how my doctor is. He only tests my thryoid when I ask him too. I have had this condition since I was 15 and that is about 30 years. I took armour for a while but it was not doing the trick for me. Some people like it better, but I am just on the synthetic thyroid replacement.

Mickee

sodacracker Guest

I have a standing order for a thyroid test every 6 weeks as he said the only thing he was worried about was it going too high. I am on a very low dose.

That is great! I know other people that have to have a test every 6 months or no refill of meds. But not me. He will let me go, literally years and years without testing unless I ask about it. When I was first diagnosed they had my does way too high and I lost weight easily and a lot of it. But once they got the dosage right I stopped losing and as is my pattern, gained back what I did lose. I was down to 116 and a perfect size, but alas now at 215. It is dangerous to have too high a dose. I am on a very low dosage as well, but don't dare get off of it either. I did that once and paid the price, confusion, strange thoughts, hair loss.

Mickee

Replies

I have suspected thyroid issues for years. All the females in my extended family take thyroid meds.

Dr says he will not treat me as the risk of a-fib is greater. If the dose is even a little too high, I can get another episode. So weight loss for me is interminably slow.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman