Thread: Weight Watchers For A Child

1. Default Weight Watchers For A Child

Hi everyone. My name is Susie. I've been a WW member on and off for years. I am always sucessful on the plan when I follow it and am very comfortable with the points system. I am actually on the plan right now trying to lose 15 lbs that snuck up on me after I turned 40 My daughter is 6 years old and has Prader Willi Syndrome. It is a genetic disorder that has many unpleasant facets one of which is that children with the disorder do not metabolize food like normal children. They gain weight on fewer calories and almost always require a restricted diet to control their weight. My daughter currently weighs 70 pounds and is 3 ft 8 inches tall. Her doctors have suggested that I retrict her diet to 950 calories per day. I am not a good calorie counter. However, I am an excellent point counter. The problem is, I don't know how to figure out how many points would equal 950 calories. This is a battle my daughter and I will be fighting her entire life - if I could teach her the point system, it would be a whole lot easier. Thanks for your help. - Susie

Default Re: Weight Watchers For A Child

Hi Susie-

I'm familiar with Prader-Willi Syndrome so I can understand your desire to want to create a system that would work really well for both your daughter and yourself as food and weight will be lifetime challenges. I think it would be difficult to calculate an exact calorie count per point due to the fact that fat, fibre, etc are used to calculate the points. Sometimes I've heard it's about 50 calories per point but I also know that isn't 100% true. As much as counting calories suck, it may indeed be the best long-term solution for your daughter. Every new system takes a bit to get used to but once you've used it for awhile I bet it will become second nature.

Good luck with your daughter.
    Monique

SW: 198
    CW: 145
    WW Goal: 148
    PG: 140

Default Re: Weight Watchers For A Child

I don't know, but I would suggest you go to a meeting and discuss this with a good leader. Several years ago, there was a normal weight mom attending our local meetings with two overweight children, and she stated that she was there because of them (doctor's orders). I know our leader (a very good one) discussed this with them - and had a pretty good idea of what was what insofar as WW for children went.

How wonderful for your daughter that you have the tools of WW to help her successfully battle this from the get go!
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06