Thread: SFT 17/365 Monday is Vegetable Day!

sodacracker Guest

Default SFT 17/365 Monday is Vegetable Day!

Hi everyone -

Man, it's cold here today -20C ( -F) and DS is sick so I have to take the day off. I will take advantage and make a lot of casseroles and stews that we can freeze for future eating.

I decided to make today a vegetable day for all of us!

Hope you don't mind? Winter months can mean less fresh vegetable eating, especially in colder climates, so my goal today is to have vegetables at every meal.

If you normally do not get in all your fruit and vegetable servings why not aim for that today?
    Will be checking in more often today, because I can!

Default Re: SFT 17/365 Monday is Vegetable Day!

That's an awesome goal Soda! I def need more veggies.

I also think I've determined that SiFi isn't for me at the moment. I just cannot control my carbs yet.
    So I'm switching back to Points+
    I'll just reset my week to today.

TARGET 29
    0 WAPs used - 0 APs earned

Breakfast: 1 cup Shredded Wheat (4), 1/2 cup light soy milk (2) and blueberries 6/29
    Snack: Green Tea and Banana
    Lunch: 1.5c rice (7) with veggies and tofu(4) chili sauce (1) oil (3) 21/29
    Snack: Banana and soy milk (1) 22/29
    Dinner: Mexican 2 Soft Shell tacos (5) with tofu/beans (3) and veggies and lettuce/salsa 30/29
    Snack: Soy Milk and Fruit - kinda like a smoothie?(3) and an apple 31/29 - 4 WAPs used.
    Was still starving - had carrots/brocolli and peas with vinegrette (3 pts) ...forgot peas aren't 0 pt foods. urgh!
    Last edited by chellybats; 01-17-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Replies

I haven't even checked the temperature yet. It was -18 yesterday so likely more of the same here. I noticed you said you also live in a university city. If you don't want to post online which one, would you email it to me?

I don't think that I'll be able to get any veggies in for breakfast but I'm with you for lunch & dinner!! I tend to get in a decent amount of veggies but I've been slacking on fruit lately-- if only because I've been having problems with my molars and my teeth are too sensitive for hard, raw fruits & veggies!
    Kimberley

sodacracker Guest

keep posting with us Michelle

I had vegetables at breakfast was because I ate carrot while packing DS's lunch before finding out he was sick.

soda - I wouldn't want to post anywhere else

Yeah I'm with you Kim, it's not often I enjoy veggies over breakfast

Replies

I surprised myself for breakfast!! DH had made spelt crepes with a broccoli/potato puree. I grabbed the last one and had it for breakfast!!
    And, I'm still trying to figure out if it's Core. If I can make an oat pancake by grinding the oats and combining with egg and soy milk, can't I do the same by grinding spelt berries, adding egg and soy milk? To top it off, the spelt crepe is thinner (thus less calories) than my oat pancake so I vote that it's all good!!
    Kimberley

Kimberley - Just asking, but I though when grinding oats, we had to count them, and it was not considered Core any longer. I thought Core was only when using them in the oat form. I could be wrong, but thought that is how it was. Unless it has changed with the new program.

Michelle - So sorry SFT was not for you. It is not for everyone and that is the nice thing about e-tools and WW in general, you can switch back and forth between the 2 plans and never stick with one indefinitely. I almost tried counting points in the beginning as I thought I cannot do this, but have been patient and gotten myself back to where I am almost happy with SFT again. It is a gradual process for me. Maybe at another time, when you have less stress in your life SFT will be for you.

Soda - I could use more veggies in my diet for sure. I get plenty of fruit as I like it better, but not near enough veggies. So will work on this for today.

Almost forgot something important to post. Today was w/i day.

Weight loss for the week **** 3.4 pounds.

B-Poached egg with sauteed mushrooms in EVOO.

L-Salad with fiesta chicken

D-TBD
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

sodacracker Guest

so far so good in the kitchen - and almost finished with cooking - 2 hours work and this is what I did

pressure cooked about 3 cups dried lentils and used those in:

curried dal
    orange spinach lentil ragout
    lentil burgers

also made;
    quinoa spinach burgers
    lentil burgers
    chickpea spinach burgers

a huge pot of brown rice for use all week
    harvest minestrone soup

and with the gazillion cups of cooked mixed grain cereal I made yesterday, breakfast and supper for the week is all ready

sodacracker Guest

mickee - yahoo! great loss for you

Replies

Mickee- When I make the pancake, I take oats, soy milk and eggs and just use the handheld immersion blender. I don't grind the oats before. It's the exact same ingredients as making oatmeal (minus the egg). I can see the difference when you grind it to make bread. I'm thinking I might have to side with Michelle and skip even trying to do Core right now because I always wind up getting upset/frustrated when grinding the oats dry or pureeing them wet makes the difference between Core or not!!!
    Kimberley

I just wondered. You have been at this much longer than I and more in depth. I have never been to a meeting and only glean what I can from here and the WW site. So really was just asking the question. It has taken me a month to get where I am and it has not been easy. I didn't want to count points but really thought about doing it as I didn't think I could do this SFT, but was happy at the end of the week to end up with 15 points left over that I did not think I would have.

You just have to do what works for you Kimberley and only you know what that is.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

WTG Mickee!!!

Haven't been around over the weekend, DH & I were busy getting the house sorted for selling. Still plenty more to do, but we tackled the worst area - the 'office'. It was still decorated as a nursery. Not anymore!!

I lost 3.8lbs this week, first week back. Very happy!

Have a fab day buddies!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePB7N9/]

A quick hello, ladies. Kids are home today for the holiday, and I have been trying to declutter. Actually still need to make lunch!

I am down my weekly pound, so I feel encouraged to do another week.

Love the veggie idea. I had been having a green smoothie for bfast, but was rushed this AM, so since reading this thread, idecided to make it for lunch.

I made millet last night. Anyone make this? It came out like sticky couscous...is that right? What do you do with it?

Also wondering if I can cook tofu frozen or semi frozen ir should I wait until it thaws?

I need a plan for the rest of the day.

b - protein powder, splash of oj, water; coffee and coconut milk
    s-just had a lovely pear
    l-green smoothie to last the rest of the day, probably eggs and millet
    s-probably not since eating lunch so late
    d-chicken? some veggies? Hmmmm.

I am trying to be meat-free, so maybe I will tackle the tofu for my dinner. Or maybe I will just eat the chicken.

SW 144 - CW 142 - GW 123 by June. ONE. POUND. AT. A. TIME.
    Teg

Soda - I like the idea that some days you make a day to ___. Like today is veggie day. This keeps the thread varied, but consistent.
    Teg

sodacracker Guest

Spinach is my vegtable of the day so far - had it in a lentil dish for late lunch .

Replies

Mickee- I'm not really sure. The rules tend to change. There are always things you can do to "cheat" the system-- like the rule is no bread but it's okay to have wheat berries so people would grind them into flour to make bread. It gets a bit confusing with baked goods (oatmeal muffins, etc) and breakfast food. I don't like the core oatmeal pancake recipe as it stands but if I puree it all together (or grind the oats), I do like it. I don't like feeling like I'm not following the rules though so I wind up getting frustrated because it seems like such a technicality but still one that can prevent me from feeling like I'm truly OP. So, I either wind up eating something with the same ingredients that I don't want and feel resentful or else I do something like puree the mixture and then wind up feeling guilty or like I've cheated the system!!!

Becky- Congrats on the loss!!

Bridget- Millet is like couscous or rice. If you toast the millet first (cook it dry for a few minutes before adding water) and use slightly less than a 1:2 ratio (millet:water), it will separate more. You can also cook it with some healthy oil and the oil will make it naturally separate out. I don't like it to be too mushy or sticky so I use less water!
    Kimberley

Thanks, Kimberley. I will try that with the rest of the bag. I have a feeling this will be a no-go food for me since I associate pasta type grain with butter. Maybe it will be different if I taost and don't make it so mushy. Thanks.
    Teg

Making more millet to try to master this. Do you always rinse yours? Why does it say to rinse unless toasting first?

Also, just tossed an entire bag of chopped spinach in the blender to make a green smoothie cover my vege req of the day. Thinking of adding a grapefruit. Could be good, right? Oh, and some avacado.
    Teg

Replies

I don't tend to rinse the millet, or rice for that matter. I think they recommend rinsing to get rid of any residual dirt, etc. I'm fine to eat the dirt after it's been boiled off! LOL I think that the toasting would still work though-- rinse, then toast it until the water has evaporated off and the millet grains start to "pop" a bit, then I usually boil water in the kettle and add slightly less than 2c of boiling water into the pan, cover and steam for 15 minutes.

Grapefruit would be very good-- they always say to combine citrus with dark leafy greens in order for your body to absorb the iron!!
    Kimberley

sodacracker Guest

just had vegetable minestrone soup - yum!

plus a berry spinach smoothie so lots of veg. today.

I don't like grapefruit in smoothies - makes them bitter for my taste, but kudos on a whole lot of spinach

K I'm back to report that I only used 4 WAPs today, which is REALLY good.
    I'm really hungry tonight, but I'll live. I just thought I'd admit I'm having some cravings - but I'll fight through them.

sodacracker Guest

me too michelle - let's practice our resistance muscles

teg, what was in your smoothie?
    becky when do you have to be ready to move?

Today's green smoothie was frozen chopped spinach (a big bag with 6 servings), 1 small avacado, and as much water as I could get in the blender.

It was foolish to try to use all of this in one blender. It was so thick, and there was no room to thin it out. Wound up removing half to a container, filling blender with water, and blending that, then repeating with the rest.

Later I took about 2 cups of that, watered it down, and added a whole grapefruit to the blender for mine.

It was very tasty. I am a grapefruit fan, but the kids were not loving it.

I have plenty more for tomorrow and for dh's shake in the morning.

Did not get in the 6 servings of spinach as I had planned.
    Teg

sodacracker Guest

i make mine with about 4 cups loose spinach, not packed, 2 cups frozen berries, a banana and enough water to make the blender work, maybe 1 - 1.5 cups. This makes 2 large servings for me and DD, about 2 cups each, and about 1 cup for DS.

I have not tried an all greens one yet. : )

Quote Originally Posted by sodacracker View Post
    becky when do you have to be ready to move?
    The plan is move in June, at the end of the school year here. 5 months!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePB7N9/]