Thread: Organic grass feed beef - Question

Default Organic grass feed beef - Question

O.K. Here is my question of the day. HELP!

I have switched from store bought to farm bought products, one of them being Chisholm Trail ground beef. I have talked to the farmer about the content of fat vs lean as it is not labeled on the package. He said they do not know the % of fat vs lean. So I am cooking meatloaf tonight. I look and it appears nothing is cooking out of it. So how do I count it???? Do I consider it a Power Food? Or does it need counting? I am told that grass fed cattle are just naturally leaner than grain fed. I am in a quandary as to what to do.

I purchased organic Greek yogurt from him as well, no sugar added. But they do make it with full fat milk. The only ingredients are organic milk, cultures and fruit. I know I need to count that and not consider it a power food as it does have fat in it. It is not plain and fat free.

I did manage to get skim milk as well. So over all I am so far happy with the purchases and will probably make this a regular delivery. But I just need to know what to do about the ground beef mainly.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

Replies

Default Re: Organic grass feed beef - Question

We used to buy directly from the biodynamic organic farm. They said that there's often a lot of fillers/chemicals/dyes put into meat and the mass produced meat might say it's 95% FF but it all depends on the butcher. He said that a lean cut of his meat was the same as the extra-lean you'd get from the store. For what it's worth, I'd count it as a power food but that's JMO.
    Kimberley

Thank you Kimberley! That is the answer I wanted but wasn't sure I would get. It seemed much leaner and I did like it better than what I had gotten in the past. I believe I will continue with this supplier.

Mickee

4. Default Re: Organic grass feed beef - Question

Hey just going to put my 2 cents in...... my husband and i raise our own beef and we only grass/hay feed them. i never could find a point value for it but everything i read on the internet said that grass feed beef was the same as deer and chicken...so on the old program i always counted my ground beef at 1 point per oz and i always lost weight. we eat beef several times a week too. i am still learning the new pp program so i havent decided yet to go with 1 point or 2 as i am losing very slowly on this new program. I have been getting in all my healthy guidlelines and have not been abusing the "free fruit" yet i have been losing around a .4 a week. So i guess over all i say count it as one point per oz but no more than 2.
    Hollie
    New Start weight 162.4
    Goal Weight 130

Hollie:
    Thank you for your input. I don't think I will count it at all if it is supposed to be same as deer and chicken. As I do SFT (simply filling Technique) and do not count points for any power foods. It sounds as if you probably count points and are not doing SFT, so I do understand you counting a point or two for it. I am a slow loser too, but so far have not been doing too bad. I don't think ground beef 2-3 times a month will harm me either way, but will consider it a power food and not count any points for it.

Mickee

sodacracker Guest

grass fed beef is a power food imho

WOOO HOOOO!!!! Thanks Soda. I will adopt your opinion in this matter.

Mickee