Thread: Bean Burgers

sodacracker Guest

Default Bean Burgers

I bought a new cookbook about vegetarian and vegan burgers - tried this one last night, the basic recipe.

1 can rinsed beans, any kind ( I used kidney), about 1 1/2 cups

2 eggs

1/4 cup parsley ( I used chopped spinach)

1 /4 cup parmesan (3 points)

3/4 cup bread crumbs ( 9 points)

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350

Mash beans by fork or hand, stir in eggs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper and bread crumbs. Let sit for 10 minutes then form into 4 patties and cook for a few minutes on each side until lightly browned in a lightly oiled pan. Finish cooking by baking in the oven for 10 minutes until firm.

This made 4 large burgers but I would make 6 the next time.

At 4 burgers the WPA's will be for the cheese and breadcrumbs and be 3 WPA each. At 6 burgers it will be 2.

My plan with these recieps is to find the ones I like and then make up a few batches to keep in the freezer for easy to go meals , with or without a hamburger bun.

sodacracker Guest

Default Re: Bean Burgers

There were some tips in the book about making the recipes vegan and or gluten free, so I will add those later for gb, Carol and Donna.

Replies

Thanks so much!! What was the book? I copied the veggie burger recipes out of the new Moosewood cookbook. I like that most of them are gluten-free as well!
    Kimberley

The next question is..Is there a grain we could use in place of the breadcrumbs??
    Teg

Replies

Remember this one, Soda? When I didn't use the cheese, it didn't hold together as wonderfully...the cheese is definitely a binder...but still a great veg pattie.

Cathy P. posted this on Lifetime, and I just had to pass it along! I made these this morning, and they are EXCELLENT and EASY!!

"Garden Burgers

1/2 large onion, finely diced
    1 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
    1 cup coarse bulgur
    1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    4 oz frozen peas or carrots, Optional
    pinch kosher salt
    1/4 cup grated mozzarella (optional)

Pour onions into a 3 quart sauce pot with the stock and bring to a boil. Add bulgur, chickpeas and veggies, stir until combined. Turn off heat, cover and let stand 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

Remove pot from heat. Using a potato masher or spoon back, mash ingredients together making sure all chickpeas get smashed. Add in cheese (if desired). Form into four burger patties. Lightly coat a non stick skillet with cooking spray and turn heat to medium. Place all burgers in pan when hot and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until heated through and golden. Can also add taco or other seasoning into burgers mixing them.

I made mine with: precooked bulgar (2 cups), onions, frozen garbanzo beans and frozen peas: mixed together and cooked in the microwave for about 3 minutes until beans/peas were warm and onion was cooked.

You can also follow the recipe by putting everything in an 8 C. Pyrex measuring cup and microwaving the mixture for 15-20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes.
    I did add in the grated mozarella when I "mashed" the mixture!

I formed them into "burgers" with my Tupperware patty-maker. They held their shape beautifully, and were very easy to work with! I got seven 4 ounce "Gardenburgers".

I toasted a whole wheat pita (count), and put it in with lettuce, tomatoes and hot sauce. Very filling and delicious. Reminiscent of a falafel!! Carol

Points by Joanne: "I ran it through the Nutritional Analysis Tool and came up with
    for the whole recipe (not capping fiber)
    Calories 1120
    Fat 12.5
    Fiber 47
    Points 14.04166667
    Round 14

Divided by 7 it came to 2 point per. If you capped the fiber at 4 for each one of the 7 it came to 2.54 which rounds to 3.

I did have to estimate on the onion. I put in 1/2 cup since I don't know how much 1/2 a large onion is. Also I didn't know how much drained chickpeas weighed so I estimated 12 oz. It may be too high an estimate as it says the chickpeas alone were 405 of the 1120 calories. If you have a can you might want to check what it says and adjust downward as needed. I think you'd be safe to count 2 points per."
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

sodacracker Guest

here is the auhor and book

Replies

Thanks! It looks great!! Going to see if our library has it.....
    Kimberley

sodacracker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tegteg View Post
    The next question is..Is there a grain we could use in place of the breadcrumbs??
    For breadcrumbs:
    he suggests grinding and toasting store bought gluten free bread, or

You can also use bean or gluten free flours as a binder and need much less than the breadcrumbs. You would add just enough to act as a binder.

For egg substitution:
    you can use 1/2 a small mashed potato with 1 tsp potato starch for one egg.

You can also a bit of vital wheat gluten sprinkled in as the last ingredient over the mixture and work in evenly with your hands.

or 2 1/2 tsps ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water and whisk together = 1 egg.