Thread: Seitan vs. Wheat Gluten as a Power Food

Default Seitan vs. Wheat Gluten as a Power Food

Alright, here's a question.

Seitan is basically just Vital Wheat Gluten Flour - when I use Wheat Gluten Flour, I make 'seitan' but with beans instead of nutritional yeast.

If Seitan is a power food, couldn't I just say that Vital Wheat Gluten Flour is a power food as well? I create my protein sources with this stuff.

Also, what are your thoughts on VEGA? I use it in my smoothies to get my vitamins and minerals it's 100 calories for 2 scoops, but I just use one. Should I look into counting these if I go with Simply Filling or no?

sodacracker Guest

Default Re: Seitan vs. Wheat Gluten as a Power Food

Hi Michelle,
    I would count the vega, it used to be 1 pt per scoop but I have not calculated it with points plus yet. I used to use it a lot but they put too much stevia in it for my taste. I would rather have it unsweetened.

Can you give an example of of what you make using vital wheat gluten flour?

btw I think they took TVP off the Power foods list - I am not sure the reasoning for that as it was a low fat protein source for vegetarians.

Replies

Is seitan still a power food? I thought they removed that from the list with the new program. Or was that TVP?

I love the Vega stuff as well but agree with Soda that I'd like an unsweetened flavour as I don't like stevia.
    Kimberley

Soda - I don't use a sweetened version, from what I see it's just unflavored, protein powder from pea, flax and some greens. No stevia in this one, and no flavor at all! I might still count a pt either way.

As for the wheat gluten - this might sound gross but I mix lentils and beans into it with spices and green onions.
    I make them into little cutlets and bake them! So it makes a really meaty nugget.

I do put Nutritional Yeast as well - that's not a power food is it?

Kim - I saw Seitan as a power food, they took out TVP
    That stuff was amazing in soups.

sodacracker Guest

I may upset the die hard rule followers, but for a vegetarian, vital wheat gluten is a protein source and I would use it as a power food ( not count it).
    If that's a grey zone answer for some people just ignore this post

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/254814-vital-wheat-gluten-nutritional-information/#ixzz1A24e89lN

"When kneaded together with water, broth, and spices, vital wheat gluten forms the basis of seitan. A three-ounce serving of seitan contains 130 calories, 1.5 g of fat, 20 g of protein, and 6 g of carbohydrates. It is lower in fat, calories and saturated fat than meat products, and offers a tasty substitute with a similar texture, according to VegetarianOrganicLife.com.

Make sure you are purchasing wheat gluten, rather than high-gluten flour."

Soda - I'm so glad you thought so too!
    Vital Wheat Gluten is pretty much 90% of what makes seitan - the only thing is that there is so ready-made seitan where I live and you need to boil it for an hour...
    Yes, an hour, and then let it cool, drain it - and then cook it. Awful no?
    Why not just toss beans and spices and bake it into nuggets!

Replies

So where do I buy vital wheat gluten?
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I usually purchase it in bulk at a local whole foods type store.
    It can be sold under 'vital wheat gluten' 'wheat gluten flour' or 'gluten flour' it's REALLY high in protein - as what it is, it's basically whole wheat flour, but only the protein of the flour.

If you do a search on youtube, you can see someone making wheat gluten from flour! They just need to rinse, and rinse... for about a good hour - I tried this once, and told myself I'd never do it again ha ha. It's just much too time consuming and wastes a lot of water.