Thread: Raw Milk

Default Raw Milk

Does anyone use raw milk? I am going to begin using it, or trying it and wondered how that would figure in to SFT or points plus either???? Just curious.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

sodacracker Guest

Default Re: Raw Milk

I would think it is the same as whole milk. Do they do anything to it other than cooling it?

No nothing else and the cream does rise so they say so it can be skimmed off. If you purchase it on the farm it is raw, but they cannot sell raw milk off the farm. If it is off the farm it is low temp pasteurized but not homogenized. They do have whole or skim.

Mickee

sodacracker Guest

oh, then the skim would be a power food and no points.
    The raw from the farm though, if cream skimmed off, I would probably count as 1 or 2%. What do you think?

There was a raw milk battle going on in Ontario for the past year and I think it was resolved when the purchasers of the milk bought shares in the cost of the cows and therefore became owners of the cows versus being a customer paying for milk.

I just wasn't sure about with the cream skimmed off if that would make it 2% or not. I just don't know. I will get skim for me and whole for dd. She thinks 2% makes her stomach hurt. Kids??????

Mickee

Replies

Oh gosh, this brings back memories. I was raised on whole, raw milk (at least I think it was raw, maybe not). We had it delivered in glass bottles from the dairy. Back then my mom used to shake the bottle to mix the cream on the top into the milk. Maybe that's why I can't drink skim milk to this day.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

I am planning on skimming the cream off for butter, but we will see how it goes. Just think it might be a bit better for us. I buy organic already, but this might be a bit better.

Mickee

Replies

We did raw milk for years. But, like Soda said, there was such a legal battle here that we stopped for the safety of the farm (we didn't want to be involved if they got caught).

We used to skim the cream off to make butter as well. It didn't make a lot of butter though!! Jeff made cultured butter-- easiest way to do it.

I'd say that even skimming it could only bring it down to around 2% so it wouldn't be SF. It's so hard to get that top layer to skim out of the bottle!!

Funny-- I can't drink even 2% (not that I can drink milk). I was raised on homogenized. Each time I went down, it tasted like water but it tasted disgusting going back up. You can really taste the milk fat going from skim back to homogenized!!
    Kimberley