Thread: Grab and go Breakfasts that are good

1. Default Grab and go Breakfasts that are good

Hi

On a normal weekday I have no time in the morning to sit and eat breakfast, I usually have to take something with me and eat at snack time (I teach first grade) or eat in the car.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for things to have for breakfast that I can just grab and go?
    By time,
    Indeed, mankind is in loss,
    Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience.
    103:1-3

Default Re: Grab and go Breakfasts that are good

I would try to eat a fruit with a little protein so...

a banana with a slice or two of lean turkey, ham, chicken

Laughing Cow cheese with an apple

You could boil an egg the night before and add a fruit

I like to section a grapefruit the night before so it is ready to go in the morning

It really helps to take the time at night to plan the next days menu. I start with the Good Health Guidelines, then add in additional foods to meet my points.
    Lisa
    SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

3. Default Re: Grab and go Breakfasts that are good

Thanks for the ideas. The bananas this week were all horrible, so I'll have to try to find another store! Cheese is also a good choice!
    By time,
    Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience.

I am laughing about the bananas because I can only eat a banana just before it rots. I only shop once per week. So I buy them in several stages so I can have them the whole week-a couple that are already brown (from the reduced section), a few that are perfectly yellow and then some that are perfectly green.

I forgot about yogurt. I like to freeze it about an hour because it gets the consistency of ice cream, sort of. I sometimes freeze it all night and set it out on the counter when I first get up in the morning. Then, by the time I get dressed and ready to go, it has thawed enough to eat.

Lisa
    SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

5. Default Re: Grab and go Breakfasts that are good

By horrible I meant green...I like them to be pretty ripe as well.. when they get too ripe I am temped to make banana bread which is not a good points choice!

I like the idea of freezing the yogurt....thanks
    By time,

Have you seen the recipe for Hungry Girl Banana Bread? It is quite tasty too. You could make muffins and eat that on the go. The recipe had points of 2 but I ran it through e-tools for points plus and it upped it to 4, but that is for 8 servings. If you cut thinner slices or make smaller muffins could get that down a bit.

I like Greek yogurt with a green banana, boiled egg. I just made a pot of cream of wheat that will be good for 2-3 meals this week, COW muffins, breakfast type sandwich (egg, LF cheese, on light english muffin).

Hungry Girl Banana Bread

Ingredients:
    1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
    1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
    1/2 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Optional Toppings: no-calorie spray butter, Cool Whip Free

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, Splenda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon (in other words, all dry ingredients). In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, egg substitute, applesauce, and vanilla extract (all the wet ingredients). Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until just blended. Spoon batter into a large loaf pan (about 9" X 5") sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly, and then cut into 8 slices. If you like, spritz with some spray butter or spread on some Cool Whip Free. MAKES 8 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 (thick!) slice
    Calories: 140
    Fat: 0.5g
    Sodium: 267mg
    Carbs: 31g
    Fiber: 3.75g
    Sugars: 7g
    Protein: 5g

POINTSŪ value 4
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

7. Default Re: Grab and go Breakfasts that are good

So when you say its 4 for eight servings is that 4 points for each serving or 4 points for all 8???
    By time,

4 per serving. But if you cut your servings smaller you could reduce that number too. But 4 is not too bad I wouldn't think.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

Replies

Lisa- I was reading your stats and man that's awesome! Congrats! I wanna hear your story!

Mickee- I love the idea of making muffins, I didn't even think of that. That recipe seems great!

I'm the same way with the weekdays. We have a kitchen at our office, so I usually stock up at the office with:
    Cereal and milk
    Raisin bread (or bagels) and cream cheese
    Yogurt

That way when I get to work I can have breakfast.
    SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150
    Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

The breakfast recipe board is chock full of great recipes!
    My favorites for BK:
    Baked oatmeal (between 3 and 4 PP - tastes like a thick dense muffin/coffee cake!). I'm not a regular oatmeal lover, but I LOVE this!
    Hard boiled eggs
    Cheese
    Yogurt
    Fruit
    Apples and PB
    There was a recipe about making "egg muffins" that you could bake then refrigerate and take 2 to work and nuke to warm - I think it was eggbeaters, ham, veggies - it was pretty good. I'll see if its still there and bump up today
    I found a raspberry scone recipe that looked awesome. Just didn't try it yet. I will add that to the recipe section.
    Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Barb A

Replies

I love baked oatmeal as well (you can find the recipe on the Heart Association website or here under breakfast foods or in the links for the Core/Simply Filling board under favourite recipes).

I make a batch of steamed millet (like rice or other grains) and make it like cereal w/soy milk & banana (or other fruit)

I have to be careful not to eat too much fruit or sweet/artificially sweet things in the morning as it can trigger me off for the rest of the day. I routinely would eat a more lunch/dinner type of meal (whatever's leftover) for breakfast and then have a more breakfast-type meal at lunch!
    Kimberley

Replies
    Blog Entries

I tried the baked oatmeal recipe found here somewhere, and it was very tasty.

I don't have many ideas for quick and easy-- I choose to get up earlier so that I can relax for half-an-hour before heading off to work. That is a routine that has really worked for me--after more than 30 years of running off, grabbing a muffin (usually high fat), or simply not eating breakfast and feeling like I was going to faint by the morning recess break.
    Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

12/15/18 (155)
    08/15/19 -- down 14 lbs.