Thread: How often do you eat fruits and veggies that have PP points?

Default How often do you eat fruits and veggies that have PP points?

As the title of this thread asks -- How often do you eat fruits and veggies that have PointsPlus points ... things like dried fruits, fruit juices, starchy vegetables?

Are they now almost gone from your food choices ... or are they a once-or-twice a week treat ... or do you like them enough to incorporate-and-count on a regular basis?

If you do, which ones are still worth it for you? Just curious.

Kos
    Last edited by Kosciusko; 12-13-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Replies

Default Re: How often do you eat fruits and veggies that have PP points?

Of the foods you mentioned I eat more of the starchy vegetables. Things like potatoes, corn, beans. We probably have them between 3 to 5 times a week. I don't usually drink fruit juice, as it doesn't keep me satisfied the way a piece of whole fruit does. The times I will drink it is if I'm in a situation where fresh fruit isn't available, but fruit juice is. I'll put dried fruit in oatmeal, again when I don't have fresh fruit, and sometimes dh will add some dried cherries to a salad.

But none of this was a change made due to PointsPlus. We've been doing this for quite awhile.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Lima beans. I probably eat them 3 times a week. Why? I just like them.

Replies
    Blog Entries

No juices...I prefer the fruits...the fiber in a piece of fruit goes futher. I love beans and rice....so that is still on my list....and since most fruits and veggies are zero pts.....I can have the beans more than once a week.

No juice (except fermented grapes, but that doesn't count as a fruit!), I was never a juice person. I like dried fruits in pilafs, couscous or with a pork loin

I love squashes and potatoes, and peas! I eat at least one of those most days/week.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

I have a rule that I do not drink calories, because a beverage rarely satisfies like actual food would, so fruit juice has never been something I drink regularly. It is an occasional treat that I have whenever I am having the occasional big breakfast.

I still eat corn, potatoes and beans with about the same regularity as I did before.

I really like dried fruit strips, and the Archer Farms one are 1PP each. So while I don't eat them often they are a nice thing to have around to satisfy a sweet tooth.
    Shelly

SW: 199.0
    CW: 172.2
    GW: 150

I never have fruit juice because I don't like any of it.

I do eat probably 4 to 5 servings of something like peas or beans a weeks.

Lisa
    SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

Replies
    Blog Entries

I add dried fruit (usually cherries) to muffins. My muffin recipe is made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with honey. No sugar, no butter. They went up one point a muffin and it's worth it to me to still have them. Before I started WW, I almost never ate potatoes. I started eating baked potatoes again because WW helped me appreciate that eating a baked potato ones or twice a week isn't going to make me fat. I love them. I plan them into my day, count the points and enjoy.
    Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10)
    CW: 158.2
    GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Replies
    Blog Entries

I love fruit juice, but I almost never drink it, and it has been that way even before WW. There are just too many calories in it, and I can guzzle a whole lot of those calories in a very short time. I did have some cranberry juice the last time I was sick because a co-worker suggested I take Oil of Oregano to get better. The only way I could get that down was by mixing it in juice.

My fruit consumption is definitely going up with P+ as I am trying to replace my Fibre 1 bars (and other such things) with fruit for snacks. I can hardly wait for next summer when our local fruit is in season. I rarely eat dried fruit, and it has been that way since well before WW. I do throw dried cranberries into some of my baking (Amish Friendship Cake). I'm looking forward to a few more smoothies now that fruit is "free."

I do not think there will be many changes in the way I eat vegetables. I don't eat potatoes often, and when I do it's generally roasted potatoes (par-boil, cut up, put a little olive oil on them, sprinkle with seasoning salt and Mrs. Dash chipolte seasoning, then pop them into the oven). I do eat other starchy vegetables--mostly corn on the cob in season, and yams (I think they are called sweet potatoes in the States... the orange ones). I think potatoes, yams, corn are all worth the points.
    Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

Now that they are free, I am eating more fruits than other snacks that I used to eat. I'm also trying new veggies that I haven't tried before, like butternut squash, it is delicious!

I eat 2 or 3 fruits every day. I never drink fruit juice. I eat a can of kidney beans on probably half the days. I just add chipotle seasoning and vinegar. I love them that way. And it adds a big amount of fiber to my diet which is always a good thing. I often eat green peas as well.

Returned to WW on 12/2/10, starting the new Points Plus program at 151.5 lbs.

Replies

I eat a baked potato probably twice a week, & put beans, corn, carrots, in soup or chili. I don't drink the fruit juice either; l do enjoy eating more fruit

Replies

I have never been a juice person because I hate drinking my calories. I've never been big on dried fruits either, except to occasionally put them in a recipe.

As for the other starchy veggies, I eat them about the same amount as I did before.
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec 2010
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Replies

I also do not drink juice- but eat potatoes corn peas yams etc- you have to spend your points on something. Deprivation is not a good thing and on the increased points for everything from dp to ap to wp- there are lots of points to eat these clean foods all of the time. So I eat them in proportion- put peas and corn in curries and maybe potatoes. make potatoes with steak and roast chicken etc. If meals do not seem normal then at some pt a person might get discouraged. yam fries- no reason not to make them (baked or lightly fried in the 2 tsp of oil you need to have)

No reason we can't enjoy our meals and lose weight at the same time.

hmm yam fries- got me thinking for dinner......
    316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here
    currently- you don't want to know

Replies

I LOVE yam fries. I do them in the oven with a bit of Cajun seasoning. Delicious!!

As for the peas.....I haven't eaten a pea since I left home and my parents couldn't MAKE me eat them. LOL
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec 2010
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

I don't drink fruit juice or eat dried fruits. Well, very rarely I'll have dried cranberries or raisins in my salad from a salad bar but that's almost never. I could drink my weight in juice and that's a LOT of calories, so I avoid it altogether. As for starchy veggies, I have those quite a bit. I love potatoes!
    HW 251.8 SW 237.5 (03/18/13) CW 225.8 (4/15/13) GW 165 (tenative)

Replies

I am noticing that I'm eating more fruit daily and I always eat veggies so that has never been a problem. I have to admit, I do like to drink an occasional glass of apple juice or orange juice. I don't eat dried fruit ever.
    SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150
    Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far