Thread: Liftetime Member New To This Forum

Cool Liftetime Member New To This Forum

Hi. I've been on WW since Father's Day of 2006. I hit lifetime 7 months later - at the end of January, just beforre the big football game. (Hence, the handle here.) I lost 65 pounds and have maintained lifetime status all this time. Still track everyday and still go to weigh in every week. And, I try to attend at least two meetings each month. (I would stay every week, but, work and home often don't allow that.)

I've recently gained back 5 of the 65. I think it's a combo of the BLTs and the fact that I just started weight training at the same time. But, not sure. Figured I would check out this forum to see if anyone else hit a patch, after many years, where the weight started coming back.

Any and all that can be shared would be appreciated.
    If it helps, I'm 48 and a guy.

Replies

Default Re: Liftetime Member New To This Forum

Welcome
    I'm 58 and guy

I was a Leader for WW about 7 years ago and I did see many people gain after increasing or changing their exercise programs. Eating your activity points will help as does getting all the waters....

Check out the mem's forum I'm sure you would be welcome there

Congrats and welcome.
    CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

CW - thanks for the welcome and the advice. It must have been interesting being a male leader. It's something that I always had an interest in doing and I applied once. But, I didn't get the call. In any event, to this day, I wonder if it would have worked since so many of the meeting members, at the least at my meetings, were women - and many older than me. I'm not sure they would have the same connection with me as they do some of my leaders who are women and older.

My leader is an older man even though the meeting that I attend is the Mom & Me meeting. His meetings are always packed because he is so well liked! I will admit that I thought that a man was an odd choice to lead the Mom & Me meeting, but I am so glad that he does. I have been through three leaders now and he my favorite. (His wife is actually a close second for my favorite leader. )

That third leader that I had? She was a young woman. I am a 20-something so in theory I would have had the best connection to her, right? Her meetings were AWFUL and since her meeting time was the only time I could make it at that point, I quit attending. I say apply again if you are still interested and still lifetime! I think a great leader has to have great energy, and has to take a genuine interest in improving the WW experience for every member. I do NOT think that a great leader has to be a certian gender or age.
    Shelly

SW: 199.0
    CW: 172.2
    GW: 150

Replies

!! I think that if you have a passion/interest in being a leader, you should apply again. Send a letter with it! They need people like you who really want to be there and have life experience to add. I agree that it doesn't matter what you are but who you are!!
    Kimberley

Quote Originally Posted by MissShellica View Post
    My leader is an older man even though the meeting that I attend is the Mom & Me meeting. His meetings are always packed because he is so well liked! I will admit that I thought that a man was an odd choice to lead the Mom & Me meeting, but I am so glad that he does. I have been through three leaders now and he my favorite. (His wife is actually a close second for my favorite leader. )
    That third leader that I had? She was a young woman. I am a 20-something so in theory I would have had the best connection to her, right? Her meetings were AWFUL and since her meeting time was the only time I could make it at that point, I quit attending. I say apply again if you are still interested and still lifetime! I think a great leader has to have great energy, and has to take a genuine interest in improving the WW experience for every member. I do NOT think that a great leader has to be a certian gender or age.
    MissShellica - I agree that the right leader makes or breaks it. I was very lucky. My leader, while a tad older than me and a woman, really got through to me and connected. And, I truly feel that this would have not worked for me, if not for her. And, actually, about two months ago, I got some bad news. The WW center that I attend dropped the 7 pm meeting that I went to each week (with her). Part of the economic downturn we were told. And, I can only at 7 pm because of work. So, I had to switch nights to attend the only other 7 pm meeting they have during the week. And, with that, I lost my leader. The leader for the new night was so-so. (I say was because she's now decided to not do that session and we're waiting for a new one, starting next week.) It was during this whole thing where I really realized that the WW program is great. But, as great as it is, it's the leaders who have that engery that you talk about, that passion and empathy, are the ones who make it work.

Kimberley - thanks for the welcome! I probably will try again next time they have the recruitment open house. I think they liked me when I went (back in 2008). But, they really stressed that you have to start as a greeter before you can be a leader. And, at first, there were no promises of an opportunity on a regular basis. They said I would have to do greeting on a fill-in/back-up basis and it might only be one meeting a month - with no promises on location. It could have been 10 minutes from my house or an hour from my house. I told them that I would be willing to do that, to get my foot in the door, because I'm a raving fan of WW and I wanted to help others who were where I was when I started. At that time, I was only lifetime for about 18 months. Maybe they wanted someone with more time? I can understand that. Maybe next time, since I'm now at 45 months of lifetime, it will work out?

Replies
    Blog Entries

Mr. Super Bowl--I agree with the others, if you want to be a leader, do keep trying. My meeting also was changed--merged with another one that didn't have enough people going to make it viable. The new time didn't fit my schedule at all. Meanwhile, while you are waiting to be a leader, your insight, wisdom, and experience will certainly be a welcome addition to the BCB boards. This has been my lifeline since I quit going to meetings (because of the change in time), and the advice and encouragement I have picked up from here has been invaluable.
    Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

12/15/18 (155)
    07/15/19 -- down 13 lbs.

Thanks crescentbeachzoo - I don't know about wisdom or insight, but, for sure, I have some experience to share and am more than willing to share it. It's been a great WW journey. And, as I have shared with others in meetings, I'm just one day away - tomorrow - from being a fat guy again. And, because of that, this ("WW") never stops. Reaching goal should never be viewed as reaching a finish line.

I've been doing WW since June 2006 and, like clockwork, I hear the same thing at meetings all the time "I was lifetime. But, I got cocky, stopped tracking, and stopped going to meetings, and the weight came back on." If I've heard that once I've heard in 100 times. And, I've sworn to myself that I would never stop weighing in or tracking once I made lifetime. And, I've been doing that since. I'd rather take the small amount of time required to get in for a weigh-in and to track than have to go back to the trauma of being 65 pounds overweight again.

I've been fit/average weight, I've been overweight - and I guess, obese, and I've been thin/fit, all in my lifetime. And, it's true: Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

sodacracker Guest

I lost my original 50 pounds in 2005 with a wonderful leader that truly inspired me. I have tried several meetings since then and not clicked. She left to go to university ( a great story as once she lost 100 pounds she was motivated to do so many things). Iknow it is really me that makes the effort and I cannot blame the leaders for any lack of success I have, but it does make the trip easier if there is a good leader.

Sodacracker - have you tried to keep in touch with your former leader at all? Luckily, I was able to friend mine on Facebook. After 4 years together, we are friends. And, while it doesn't make up for not having her at my meetings, it's nice to know that we can touch base if needed.

Replies
    Blog Entries

We lost a great leader this year, and the one we got was so-so, but I'll admit she's getting better. If I had one word of advice to leaders it would be DO NOT READ FROM NOTES!!! I would rather hear you hem and haw than read. Also, meetings are not just about leaders. Members can contribute, and the more we do the better the meetings are. I hope you get the call Superbowl - personally I would love to hear the male perspective!!!

We got our new leader last night. Her style may take some time to get used to, but, she really knew her stuff. I was very impressed and look forward to the next meeting now.

Not sure where to post this, so, I'll post it here.
    Any thought to having a sub forum/group, for lifetime members - like the ones now for age, core, etc.?

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    Not sure where to post this, so, I'll post it here.
    Any thought to having a sub forum/group, for lifetime members - like the ones now for age, core, etc.?
    There used to be a group for Lifetime. I wonder if it got "trimmed" when some board changes were made awhile ago. Some of the less active boards were eliminated. CW might know for sure.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Thanks Luanne.

Not sure where to post this - so, I'm going to do it here.

It's been two months since I joined BCB, and, at this point, I don't think I'll be visiting as much as I have in the past. I'm just not getting as much out of the forum as I expected. Please don't take this as a slap at the forum - because it's not. It's a great place and I wish you all nothing but the best. It's just that, over the last few weeks, I'm not seeing many threads that fit into what I was looking for here. I know it's cliche, but, this time it's true: It's not you, it's me. ;-)

And, at the least, I hope this explains that I didn't just drop off the face of the earth.
    Keep up the great work on your WW journey - everyone.

Super Bowl I am sorry to hear this.I know that you have inspired folks in your short time here with us.

I hope you continue your journey and do well. I appreciate you letting us know you are leaving. I don't like it when Buddies just disappear.

Good bye Super Bowl, take care of yourself!
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 137.5 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Replies

Superbowl, I'm sorry to hear you're leaving. But I understand how things change, people change, and move on. Please come back any time and I wish you all the best.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Thanks Luanne & Trudie! Best of luck to you too, as well.
    If you, or anyone, ever needs to contact me, send me a Private Message. I get an email notification when sent a PM and then I'll come back and get your message.

Question - I started my pwn blog today, outside of BCB's blog.
    Is it acceptable to include a link to the blog in my signature here? I notice some do. But, I wanted to check first.

Is it acceptable to include a link to the blog in my signature here?

I don't see why not! Go for it and if it's not ok, then change it.
    Ya Ya Name: Empress Weeping River

Rachel, at this point, that's a good idea. Thanks.