Thread: Crazy Question: Flex Point Splurge Related

Default Crazy Question: Flex Point Splurge Related

Hey everyone,

I've been on WW for about three weeks now (yay!) and so far I've been ending the week without using my 35 flex points. I know this is the ideal way to do it. But there's a problem. I am psychologically addicted to wings. It's a sickness, really haha. Why do I tell you this? Well, because its relative to the topic of course ;p

So, I had a pack of white meat chicken breast, 3.27lbs worth. Now, I did some calculations and I'm curious to see how my math holds up WW wise.

3.27lbs is somewhere around 52.32 oz's. The chicken breast is 110 cals and 1 gram of fat per 4 oz's, according to the package. Now, if you were to add that all up, it comes out to around 29 points worth of food, somewhere like 1438 calories.

Now, let's say I also decided to eat lightly throughout the day, snacking on veggies and whatnot, I could theoretically have at least 25 points + the 35 flex points for a single nights worth of binge eating, IF I so desired, without any repercussions, correct? FYI, I didn't do this. Ultimately I decided to split up the flex points into three days, over the weekend.

The reason I'm asking is because I've honestly really enjoyed being on Weight Watches for the past few weeks. By being able to replace my wing addiction with chicken breast and hot sauce, I feel as though I'm going to be able to really last on this diet. I don't really MISS any other food. So, I want to make sure that I'm not ultimately destroying myself in some way I'm not quite seeing. I do fully understand that it is ideal to not "save" points so that I keep my metabolism running full steam ahead during the day.

Anyway, I really appreciate you checking out this post. Flex points just FEEL like cheating for some reason and I guess I need some Bootcamp Buddy Validation ;p

Replies

Default Re: Crazy Question: Flex Point Splurge Related

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    I've been on WW for about three weeks now (yay!) and so far I've been ending the week without using my 35 flex points. I know this is the ideal way to do it.
    Actually, many many buddies on here find that not using the 35 WPA is NOT the ideal way to lose weight on WW. The plan builds in those 35 points so you can enjoy snacks in moderation, get in all your healthy 8s, and navigate tough situations. I've been able to stay on WW for a long time because I use those 35 points to avoid feeling deprived.

I think using a replacement for wings is a great trick - but do you need to eat 29 points worth of chicken breast to feel full? That seems a bit extreme to me. What you ended up doing sounds great!

There have been times I've used all or most of my WPAs in one night (birthday dinner, holidays) but I would say that you shouldn't make a habit of it.
    Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185
    GW - 145
    CW - 158

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    I've been on WW for about three weeks now (yay!) and so far I've been ending the week without using my 35 flex points. I know this is the ideal way to do it.
    Who told you this? When I joined WWers I never got the impression that all those points out there weren't to be used. They were mine and I could use them however I liked. So I did.

Flex points just FEEL like cheating for some reason and I guess I need some Bootcamp Buddy Validation ;p
    It is not cheating. If the points weren't to be used, they wouldn't be there.

You want to eat while losing the way you want to eat to maintain. I don't think that means depriving yourself. If you do that you're only setting yourself for a splurge (or worse) later on. If you attend meetings take a look at your Pocket Guide. In there are the Seven Steps for Success. Number 4 says:

Use your Weekly Points Allowance without guile. Those extra POINTS values are built into the plan on purpose because it's important that you make the plan liveable for you.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies

They are there for you to use, BUT I think you really need to use them sensibly. I've used them and gained. I try not to use many. Spread them out over the week, but I think if you "save" them for the weekend let's say, well you might gain. Why don't you experiment and see how and what works best for your body?

I always remember our leader telling us, almost weekly,one chicken wing with sauce on is 12 points.

Watch the sauce - isn't it full of sugar?

Experiment and see what works.

Ashlee

P.S.: WW. can't be a DIET. It's a lifestyle change. A diet you go on and then go off, not supposed to do that with WW. .
    Be the change that you want to be.

Oh wow.

Yeah I always just assumed that using the Flex Points slowed down weight loss and that you should go ahead and use them sparingly, kinda as a cushion.

I'm actually used to sitting down and eating a crud-load at night. I mean...a lot. It's basically my vice. I used to like to eat lightly throughout the day and then eat a lot at night while watching a movie or something like that. Not the best, but it's just something I've always enjoyed and I used to use it to soothe bad moods and things like that. So, eating a decent amount once in a while at night helps me stay on the plan. It's kind of like quitting a habit cold turkey...very tough!

The last post is what I was kind of afraid of. I get kind of conflicting messages. Like, if you said you've used them and gained, I'm confused....because the other posts say use them without guilt. Does it really matter how or when I use them? Not trying to be picky, but I'm trying to set some hardcore rules for myself so I'm not messing up anyway.

Thanks for all of your responses, I greatly appreciate them!

Replies

Definitely use them, or not, as you wish. That's what they're there for. As for gaining...well, that's part of the weight-loss journey. I don't think there are too many of us here who have lost weight EVERY week - especially women with our monthly hormone cycles. So when someone tells you they gained during a week when they ate all their flex points, well, maybe they gained for other reasons. (In my case, because I've become complacent and lazy about tracking EVERY bite, so it doesn't LOOK like I overate when I probably DID...)

My husband loves wings, too. Our solution is to put some boneless chicken breasts in a ziploc baggy, then toss with Frank's Wings Sauce, let marinade for a half hour or so, and then grill them (about 4-5 minutes per side). Although Frank's Wings Sauce does contain canola oil, you need that to help coat your chicken breasts, and if you use it as a marinade, it's 0 Points. You get all the FLAVOR of wings, without the FAT. (And no, there's no sugar in Frank's Hot Sauce).

I have to agree that 29 Points sounds like a LOT of chicken breasts, though....but if that's what you enjoy, and what will keep you on track, then it's OK!

- Jen
    ACE-certified Personal Trainer
    & WW Lifetime Member