Thread: Walking - It does a body good

Default Walking - It does a body good

A year ago my main form of activity was the swimming pool; water aerobics, swimming laps. As fall came on & the weight was coming off I knew I didn't want to do what I did last year after we closed the pool: nothing!

So, I started walking.

I was really surprised at how difficult that was. I thought I was in pretty good shape from my pool workouts. Wrong! But I gradually built up the walking to the point where it could replace swimming for the winter.

I discovered that walking made me feel so much better than swimming, so this year when it started getting warm I vowed to stick with the walking.

It's such a simple thing. Almost all of us do it every day. Just do a little more of it each day, and you'll be amazed at how much better it will make you feel!

I only walk 30 min a day, but the payback is incredible. I've got joint issues, and sometimes those first few blocks hurt, but eventually I loosen up, maybe it's the endorphins kicking, & by the time I'm done I'm so glad I did it. It sure makes this ol' body feel good!

Just do it!
    Dandy
    SW:340/CW:183.2/GW:130
    It's not enough to want it, you have to want it enough.

Default Re: Walking - It does a body good

Dandy,

I agree with you on the walking. It is so simple and free! I have recently joined my community's "Y". Walking on a treadmill is what I have been doing for about a week. In fact this is my 2nd. week. I do the first lap at a slow rate of speed to warm up and then increase my speed and degree of incline. So far I do about 1 hr. of walking at least 4 times a day. I am hoping to be able to progress to using the weight machines, etc. The walking has helped me deal with some stress in my life. Now, if I could just get my eating under control. That will be next.

Keep up your good work. Your weight loss is an inspiration to me.

Susan
    Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

Reached Lifetime Oct. 2001
    Recommitted June 2010http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...cb/bcbkick.gif

Replies

Due to my work schedule and home chores I have very little time for walking in the neighborhood. Also adding in the high temps and humidity keeps me inside also. Fortunately I have a really good treadmill that I am starting to use again. Walking is such a powerful thing when you think about it. I once walked 450 miles in 31 days on a long backpacking trip when I was much much younger.
    Live simply, so that others may simply live.

april 2010 340
    cw 273
    gw 180

I love walking. It was the only thing I could do when I first started this journey. I used the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. I still use them sometimes.

I live in a rural area on a busy road with no sidewalks. I cannot just go out for a walk on that road because it is dangerous. If I ever move it will definitely be to a house with a great walking area close by.

I use a treadmill some also. My new favorite is to walk at a slow speed ( I use 2.6 miles per hour) for 2 minutes. Then every 30 seconds I increase the incline slightly until I just cannot do anymore. Then I bump the incline back down and start over. I hate walking fast so this gives me a great workout without having to walk fast. My heartrate is always close to the maximum it should me.
    Lisa
    SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

5. Default Re: Walking - It does a body good

I will type a small part of a text out of the book i'm currently reading - and this part caught my attention :

If you want to lose weight permanently , then the energy burned during your exercise should come from fats and not from carbohydrates. During the first 20-30 minutes of moderate exercise like walking- only 1/3 of the energy burned comes from carbohydrates, whereas 2/3 comes from body fats.
    During short bursts of exercise ( speed running etc ) 2/3 of the energy burned comes from carbs, and only 1/3 from body fat. It stands to reason, then, that a continuous exercise, like walking, which burns primarily body fat, is a lot better for permanent weight reduction than short spurts of strenuous exercise .
    Because strenuous exercise burns carbs it causes a drop in blood sugar, which actually increases your appetite. Walking, on the other hand , redirects blood away from the stomach to the exercising muscles and decreases appetite. Walking also increases the body's metabolic rate, which helps to burn calories at a faster rate.

typed from book " 100 weight loos tips that really workd- from Fred A. Stutman

Sw- 256.6 ( 7/12/10)
    249.6 (7/26/10)
    251.5 * 8/6/10/
    250.5 8/13/10

GW 190 ( for this year 2010 )
    Final GW- ( 160 )

WANNALOOZIT Guest

I'm also a walker, and I completely agree that it makes you feel SO much better when you maintain a religious walking routine. If I stop walking for a few days, I can really tell it, so I try to make sure I never skip more than 1 day.

Strong2theEnd - Thanks for the excerpt from the book, that is really informative. I always thought I would like to try and start running, but it sounds like walking would be better for me in the long run! Great!!!

Strong, thanks for those affirmations that it really DOES do a body good, even more than I realized!
    Dandy
    SW:340/CW:183.2/GW:130
    It's not enough to want it, you have to want it enough.

Try mixing up taking walks with a Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds routine; that way the weather isn't an issue and it's motivating to me
    SW: 240
    WWGW: 120
    PGW: 115

I'm 5'0 on a good day.
    1st goal: 5%, or 228 (12 pounds)

Replies

Post Re: Walking - It does a body good

I do run during the week (either on TM or outside), but on Saturday mornings (when it's not boiling hot out at 7:00 a.m.), I take my dog for an hour walk. We're both tired and have gotten our exercise for the day.
    Liz
    The Dressage Queen

Replies

I've got a new knee for 18 months now and walking is the most fun more now than ever before. I walk at least 5 days a week, 2 miles in my neighborhood. Our weather is incredible here in LA so I can almost always walk. I highly recommend it. I lost all of my weight on my stationary bicycle, then out walking. I walk alone, with my son or with friends. I like the company but need the exercise more than I need the company. My iPod is my constant companion.
    Peg

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.