Thread: Is anyone on Core a Celiac/Gluten Free?

Replies

Default Is anyone on Core a Celiac/Gluten Free?

I've recently discovered a gluten intolerance and it's revamped my desire to eat well. I've maintained my weight all of these years (I'm still about 5 lbs from my WW goal, but I was happy to maintain that for a while) by either doing Flex, Core, or some hybrid of the two. It wildly depends on my mood and what's going on in the week.

This gluten free thing has really started pushing me to think more globally about what I eat though. I can't have wheat (no more bulgar wheat ), spelt, rye, or barley, so I have to be slightly creative with my meals. I've been thinking about Core again, but I'm trying to figure out just how to make it work. Technically, I'd think quinoa or corn pasta isn't a core food, but I can't have the whole wheat. Similarly, I can have brown rice, but that's a limited grain and I don't have as many options like bulgar to sub in. There is quinoa, which I eat a lot of now, but sometimes that gets old.

So, I guess what I'm really asking and / or blogging about is are there other Celiacs /Gluten Free people here? If so, what do you do about those types of things listed above? Count WPAs? Create some rules that make sense given your restrictions? (I struggle with that as a tweak, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do given the situation).

Of course, I don't have to do Core, but I like the freedom of it and not having to count points all the time.

Thanks kindly for any thoughts or suggestions.
    Original SW: 149
    New SW (11/8/10): 138
    CW: 132
    GW: 125

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

Replies

Default Re: Is anyone on Core a Celiac/Gluten Free?

gb, I'm pretty sure that KimberleyW, now over at the vegan board, eats gluten free. You might want to go over to that board and post this!

Replies

gb, I am gluten free.
    Judy S.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009
    20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Replies

Lightbulb Re: Is anyone on Core a Celiac/Gluten Free?

Hey, GB! Good to see you!

KimberleyW has written huge missives on her food plans, along with her evolutions. Why not post-stalk her and look back to find those where she's written exclusively on her food allergy "restrictions" and how she's dealing...

(Today she's at Costco getting some newly released video games, and it's her first focus for the day.)

She'll be back, though, and I know she'll help you.

I have said that I do believe there should be "exclusions" for those with food allergies on the Core/SF food-limits. I can't imagine that a real life WW leader would not agree...But I think Kimberley has figured her way around them AND followed the program as written.

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Fantastic. I will post stalk her. You guys rock!

I don't really want to tweak anything, but I don't want to feel like core is this restrictive thing. It's not. And really eating gluten free isn't either. I can naturally find gluten free things, and I hate almost all gluten free breads so it's really not an issue to give that up. I think my problem is only when it comes down to grains and limits.

I'll definitely check her out. Thank you thank you thank you!

Replies

Judy, do you follow Core exclusively? How do you handle the limits? How do you handle pasta?

Replies

GB- I'm not doing Core because I find it to be too restrictive for how I work the program. I'm a gluten-free vegan (for the most part-- I do some of my baking with eggs and have cheese on occasion). If I were eating meat, dairy, eggs, it wouldn't be such a big deal. However, since I'm not, I find that it's really hard to stick to the potatoes/pasta/rice thing once a day. Whenever I wind up having two of those in one day, I have a major hissy fit breakdown having to deal with counting points for my potato or my rice that second meal. It's just harder for me to deal with accepting that than it is for me to accept counting points for everything. Like Carol said, I wish there was an exemption on that once a day rule for people with celiacs, but there's not.

That being said, it *is* possible to make this work. There are lots of other gluten-free grains that are covered with Core if you're willing to take the time to make a plan and stick with it. For example, millet is very similar to brown rice when you steam it. There's no reason why you can't use millet as a side with a curry, stew, meat/veg dish. Likewise, quinoa is Core so you can sub that out for rice one meal. Also, buckwheat groats/kasha are gluten-free so you can use them for a side dish (or in soups/casseroles)

Where breakfast is concerned, you can have cornmeal/polenta, amaranth, teff, etc. Many of the above mentioned grains work well as hot breakfast cereals as well. I routinely make millet as a hot cereal for breakfast. Now that we have a Vita-Mix, DH will grind up brown rice to make cream of brown rice cereal in the mornings. If you're looking for something crunchy, buckwheat groats make a good hot cereal.

Since I don't have meat, potatoes tend to be a main course in and of themselves quite often. I go through food jags where I'll do something like have steamed millet with soy milk & a piece of fruit for breakfast, some kind of potato with veggies for lunch and then a soup/stew/casserole/pasta for dinner. This is where Core didn't really work for me because I didn't want to have millet twice in one day (breakfast and dinner), didn't want to count points for my brown rice or pasta that second meal and sometimes I just *wanted* to have rice and not quinoa or another grain but didn't want to spend the points on it. It was all mind games for me and I found that there were less of them when I did Flex.

Oh yes, brown rice pasta is Core. But falls under the same potato/pasta/brown rice one a day rule. Judy can attest to the fact that it's not that hard to be gluten-free on Core when that's your only restriction (though she's allergic to dairy too). I figured that with all my food restrictions (gluten-free vegan with other allergies in there too!!), Core made me feel like I had to restrict even further by not "allowing" me to have those 3 things more than once a day without sacrificing my WPAs for them. I don't feel that pressure to change what I want to eat because of a rule when I'm on Flex and I function better with the quantity control of counting points. Too easy for me to binge on Core and convince myself that I was only eating to satisfaction. I actually did manage to handle gluten-free vegan Core for around 6 weeks in January and February until I got on the scale and saw that I was *up* 6lbs over those 6 weeks. Core's just not "it" for me but the people on this board can attest to the fact that it works for them!!
    Kimberley

Replies

Yes, I follow Core. The only thing I do not do is drink milk or soy milk as I am allergic to dairy and soy. I take a calcium supplement instead. I do eat brown rice pasta and prefer the Tinkyada brand of pasta. I was buying it on-line at http://tiny.cc/KDgdq until my local health food store started carrying it. I do not do gluten free bread as bread even gf is a trigger food for me and I have come to love grains better. I was doing an open face sandwich using Ener-G Tapioca bread as it was less crumbly than other gf bread but it is like white flour and I became aware that it was causing me to crave carbs. I will have a brown rice cake and count points once in awhile. I sometimes will have PB2 and a banana on a rice cake as a treat. I eat quinoa a lot especially for lunch as then I can have brown rice, potato or brown rice pasta for dinner. I dry roast the quinoa in a frying pan and then cook it in chicken or vegetable broth. I use the ratio of 1 cup quinoa to 1 1/2 cup liquid rather than the 1 to 2 that instructions say as it gives a more nutty taste. Quinoa can be used anyway that you would use rice. The only grain that I do not like is buckwheat although I do like Bob's Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat cereal http://alturl.com/nfoe but my local health food store carries it. It does not taste like the buckwheat grain. I am wondering if I am allergic to oats even the gluten free one so have eliminated it but plan to try it again sometime to see. My favorite thing for lunch is a salad using quinoa, some vegetables like tomatoes, avocado, bean sprouts, zucchini, leftover cooked vegetables, fruit like apples, banana, strawberries, blueberries, grapes etc. and then a balsamic/olive oil vinaigrette. I mix vegetables and fruit in the salad and change the vegetables/fruit for variety. Trader Joes has a frozen brown rice that comes in pouches that takes 3 min. in microwave and I will use that when I am caught without any grains all ready made. It is alright but the brown rice I like the best is Lundgren's Gourmet Brown Rice http://alturl.com/hy8p It is toward the bottom of this page. My local grocery store carries it. Sugar causes me to crave sweets so I use Splenda. I have a microwave fruit crisp recipe that I sometimes have for dessert. Since I have eliminated oats for the time being I use amaranth flakes in it. I also make a sorbet in my Cruisnart sorbet and ice cream maker. I have a lot of food allergies besides gluten but do not feel deprived. I try to try a new recipe once a week or at least a couple times of month. It keeps me motivated and not feeling deprived. It took a while to get in the groove and I sometimes did find myself feeling deprived but then I tried a new recipe or found a substitute for something I cannot have.
    Last edited by Judy43; 03-14-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: shorten links
    Judy S.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

20,000 pts.-100%

Replies

Wow, Judy and Kimberley certainly are experts in the WW/core/gluten free thing!!! I feel pretty embarassed for not knowing Judy was also gf!!!!

As for WW stand on all this. WW just sets up the program. No leader is going to tell you what you must or must not do. WW is way less bootcampy that BCB! (this is what I said last time we had this discussion)...BCB on the other hand, of course, has a philosophy of following the program exactly. People can tweak, but they should keep it to themselves so as to not cause other buddies to stumble.

I know GB isn't talking about tweaking, but I just wanted to explain that...WW leaders don't discuss changing the program due to medical conditions. Partly because of liability and partly because we aren't policing exactly what you are eating anyway. You're free to do as you wish!

Replies

Thumbs up Re: Is anyone on Core a Celiac/Gluten Free?

Also, GB, you can find some pretty amazing websites to help with recipes, etc. Fatfreevegan.com has some recipes that are categorized "Core" AND "gluten-free". And I know there are others. Maybe Kimberley or Judy (or somebuddy else) can share their faves ~

I think the WW's official website has those same categories.

Replies

This is awesome! Thank you so much. I really appreciate the expertise and additional links for me to look through. It's so helpful!

I'm picky besides gluten free, and I hate, with a serious passion, brown rice pasta. I've been eating a corn/quinoa pasta which, in reality, is probably core except that it's not. I'm assuming it's not listed someplace because it's not a "normal" thing to eat and not because it's not core. But, as we've stated, if WW doesn't say it is, it's not. I'm ok with that.

I forgot about millet, but I do eat quinoa and buckwheat pretty often. I'll check into that.

Thank you very much for all of your assistance! I really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Oh, and hiiiiiii Carol!

Replies

gb, I did not like brown rice pasta until I tried the Tinkyada pasta. I have heard others say it taste more like white flour pasta and I have to agree.
    Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Replies

Question Re: Is anyone on Core a Celiac/Gluten Free?

I love recently discovered 100% soba (buckwheat) noodles. Yum.

And what about polenta? Does that work for you all?...

Seems like the corn/quinoa pasta would be Core, too. Maybe somebuddy knows.

Replies

I'd guess it would be one of those dubious things where if the corn pasta is made from corn flour it's not Core but if it's made from cornmeal, it is. Same deal for quinoa. That's kind of like corn tortillas or my brown rice tortillas-- they're made from corn and brown rice flour so it doesn't count.

That being said, whole wheat pasta is made with whole wheat flour so if WW is making an exemption for ww flour in pasta once a day, I can't possibly see why someone with celiacs can't substitute the whole wheat pasta for corn/quinoa/brown rice pasta. It's just a matter of not being enough of a demographic to warrant changing all the materials. I'd be surprised if WW doesn't change over time though as the gluten free industry is on the rise big time so they'll want to have their literature address how to follow WW on a gluten free diet. Growing market out there for them-- good selling point.
    Kimberley

Replies

Someone just posted on the Filling Foods board tonight about gluten free....it wasn't YOU gb, I'm pretty sure ;^)...and there is a "dietary restrictions" board over there...not sure it would be helpful or not as it won't be SFT/core...

Other pastas are in e-tools (like quinoa etc.) and NOT marked filling foods. Make the choices that are best for you and let your results be your guide. Giving up wheat sure would be hard for me!!! But I guess the results of eating wheat are punishing enough to make you do it if you need to!

Replies

Cool, I'll check it out Lynn. It wasn't me on the filling food boards. I do post over there but I hang with the rowdy GDT group. We're a mean bunch of biddies, but it's fun anyway.

All of this stuff makes my head spin, but I'm going to work it out. I'm so sick of counting points.

Replies

Smile Re: Is anyone on Core a Celiac/Gluten Free?

It makes my head spin just READING it...!

But if you're not adding "vegan" into the mix, it seems much easier than if you did have that to deal with too ~

18. Default Re: Is anyone on Core a Celiac/Gluten Free?

Hi, I am definitely gluten intolerant. I really educated myself about gluten intolerance and don't find Simply filling Technique any harder to do. The way I look at it, I have to avoid gluten, period. I may as well eat healthy as I do it.

I have some wonderful reference books if anyone's interested in the titles.