Thread: Can somebody explain Set Points for me?

Default Can somebody explain Set Points for me?

My leader tried to explain set points today to me and another girl. I really REALLY don't get it. I'm on week 5, have the book and everything.

She gave the example of corn on the cob. You get it in a buffett and you don't know if there's added butter in it. You use the set point of 5 instead of the 2 that it normally is.

READING the book- i kinda get that it's for situations where if are out to dinner and don't know the exact portion size you use the set points and eat it until you are satisfied? But then, wouldn't you be eating OVER your set points if you aren't satisfied by just 5 points worth? I really just don't get it.

When do you use them? Out at resturants/functions, At home? I'm not grasping.....

Replies

Default Re: Can somebody explain Set Points for me?

First of all I really dislike your leader's example. If there is butter on the corn, you'd need to add the points for it, not use SetPOINTS because you're "not sure".

The way I've heard it explained is that it's a way to count points when you are in a situation and don't know the portion size. You eat to satisfaction, not stuffed, and use the SetPOINTS value.

I'm going to post some of what WWers says in the staff materials to see if that helps.
    ---
    SetPOINTS:

Eat Out
    Why can I eat SetPOINTS value foods until I am satisfied and still lose weight?
    The SetPOINTS value concept has been successfully used for years in Europe. In addition, a series of recent tests in the US showed that members successfully lost weight while using this feature. We believe that weight losses are unaffected because those working to lose weight do not abuse the “eat until satisfied” component. In addition, we believe that the flexibility that the feature provides helps members stay on the plan.

How were the foods chosen for this feature?
    The SetPOINTS value foods are wholesome and satisfying foods. The foods were chosen based on a combination of factors, which included choosing foods that have a low energy density along with an evaluation of the SetPOINTS value foods that are used in the current European test market, and foods that are commonly consumed in North America. Once the SetPOINTS value foods were initially selected, there were two rounds of testing where the food selections were further assessed and revised.

How were the POINTS® values for the 3 food categories determined for the SetPOINTS value feature?
    The POINTS values were determined by analyzing the foods and the amount typically consumed. The final POINTS values provided the most acceptance among test participants and produced the greatest weight loss.

What if I want a food on the SetPOINTS value food list but don’t want to use the SetPOINTS value feature?
    That is completely fine! You always have the option to count the regular POINTS value for any food on the SetPOINTS value food list and can use the SetPOINTS value feature as much or as little as you want. For example, if you know you are having 1 cup of pasta at dinner, then feel free to count 4 POINTS values, not 6.

Why does the SetPOINTS value only apply to a single food within a SetPOINTS value category (e.g., why if I had sirloin steak and steamed shrimp at my meal would I have to count 10 POINTS values instead of 5?)
    Research into eating behaviors has shown that when offered a wide variety of different foods, people tend to eat more than when offered less variety. To help prevent overeating, the SetPOINTS value only applies to a single food within the category. In situations where you have two types of lean proteins or grains and starchy vegetables it can be advantageous to count the exact portions and assign them the designated POINTS values.

Can I eat for example, 4 chicken breasts and only count a POINTS value of 5 or eat 3 plates of pasta and only count a POINTS value of 6 when using the SetPOINTS value Feature?
    One of the key components to using the SetPOINTS value feature correctly and successful weight loss is getting in touch with your hunger cues and learning the ability to eat until you are satisfied. That does not mean eating as much as you want or eating as much as you possibly can! If you had eaten 4 chicken breasts or 3 plates of pasta would you be eating until you are satisfied? Refer to Book 3 Stay Ahead of Hunger for more help with this.

What defines an eating occasion… if I snack on grapes all afternoon, can I use the SetPOINTS value feature?
    An eating occasion occurs within a discrete amount of time, not over hours at a time. Therefore, you could not use the SetPOINTS value feature if you snacked on grapes all afternoon. If for example, you had grapes until you were satisfied at 2 pm and then stopped eating until 4 pm and then had grapes again until you were satisfied, you would need to count a fixed POINTS value of 4, not 2.

What is the reason that popcorn and oats are not part of the grains and starchy vegetables category, however, corn and peas are?
    The SetPOINTS value foods are a subset of the Filling Foods. They were chosen based on a combination of factors, which included choosing foods that have a low energy density along with an evaluation of the SetPOINTS value foods that have been tested in the current European market, and in North America. Once the SetPOINTS value foods were initially selected, there were two rounds of testing where the food selections were further assessed and revised.

If you use the SetPOINTS values feature for fruit at lunch and don't finish it, can you eat it later and still count it as 2 POINTS value?
    No. The feature is to be used only at a single eating occasion.

Can I combine fruits to make a Fruit Salad and use the SetPOINTS value feature?
    Research into eating behaviors has shown that when offered a wide variety of different foods, people tend to eat more than when offered less variety. To help prevent overeating, the SetPOINTS value only applies to a single food within the category.

Is turkey sausage a SetPOINTS value food?
    No.

Why does this feature work so well in Europe?
    Members in Europe reported they felt:
    • increased enjoyment when eating out or eating with family so that they don’t feel like they’re on a diet
    • more satisfied and less hungry
    • less stress when it’s difficult to determine portion size
    • a sense of empowerment with being able to monitor portions internally (through learning to listen to their body signals) versus externally
    • a better fit between the food plan and their lifestyle
    • it became easier to track POINTS values

Are the SetPOINTS values additional POINTS values for the day?
    No. If you use the SetPOINTS value feature, you must deduct it from your daily POINTS Target or your weekly POINTS Allowance.

If I use the SetPOINTS value feature for fruit, is it counted as 2 fruit servings?
    While the feature is focused on eating a food until satisfied and learning to monitor hunger cues, you would need to make an estimate of how much fruit you had eaten to be able to determine the number of fruit servings. A serving of fruit is ½ cup. If a you ate 1cup of fruit, that would be 2 servings; 1½ cups would be 3 servings.

Are you able to use the SetPOINTS value feature for grains, starchy vegetables, protein and fruit in one day?
    You can use the feature as much or as little as you want to as long as you stick to your daily POINTS Target (including your weekly POINTS Allowance if you desire to use it) for the day. For example, you could use the feature for fruit at breakfast, some pasta for lunch, and some grilled chicken for dinner. Keep in mind however, that you always have the choice to count the regular POINTS values for a food instead of counting the SetPOINTS value.

In some cases the regular POINTS value of a food, such as salmon, is bigger than the SetPOINTS value, why is that?
    For a few items the SetPOINTS value is actually lower than the regular POINTS value. To make the concept easier to learn we assigned SetPOINTS values to broad categories of food - lean meats and proteins, fruits, and grains/starchy vegetables - rather than assigning a SetPOINTS value to individual foods. There are also some foods in each category that are especially low in POINTS values which help balance out those that are higher. Our research has shown that over the course of normal usage, these slight discrepancies did not have an impact on weight loss, especially if the member is focusing on his/her satisfaction signals.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02