Thread: Thanksgiving in review

Replies

Default Thanksgiving in review

SO, what went well and what didn't??? This is my FIFTH Thanksgiving doing core/SiFi and I think it was the BEST in terms of the foods I prepared. I went TOTALLY SiFi!!!! This helps ME...you need to do what's right for YOU...One great thing about this is that ALL my leftovers are SiFi and delectable!

Here's how it went:

The night before I made:
    I made COW bread with rosemary in it (using my French bread recipe) the night before to dry it out for making stuffing. SiFi stuffing is good for me as stuffing can be a problem. NEXT YEAR I should make the bread SOONER so I don't have to "work" to make it stale!

I made ALL my own cranberry sauces from fresh cranberries. Including the cranberry sauce for my jello salad. THAT came out YUMMY and I LOVE that it's totally SiFi (vs. using canned)...okay there's 4 points of raw almonds in it but still. The other cranberry sauce was just cranberries, Splenda and strawberry jello (the jello isn't really needed).

Hot cheddar dip (just 8oz ff cheddar, 1 pint ff sour cream and hot sauce). This stuff is SiFi and good but was totally unnecessary. We didn't eat it! I'll enjoy it this week...

Two pumpkin pies, one without crust (but with a layer of oatmeal on the bottom) the other with crust. Same SiFi filling just subbing FF using the recipe on the can.

Apple, pear, cranberry oat pudding.

I chopped up onion and celery to be ready for the morning.

THIS MORNING:
    I finished up the stuffing, including toasting the still soft bread . Stuffed the bird and used a cooking bag. Even though the 18 lb turkey was probably overcooked I think it stayed moist because of the bag. Next year I might try it UPSIDE DOWN, like I do chickens.

I made pumpkin baked oatmeal muffins. Not necessary but good!

I put some COW "french" bread in the bread machine, using some leftover pumpkin for part of the water. This was tasty and pretty. Some rosemary would be nice in it!

After taking out the bird (which can sit in its bag for a while), I roasted sweet and white potatoes and baby carrots (two pans). LOTS of leftovers and YUMMY!ALSO roasted brussel sprouts. Microwaved them and cut off the ends first. ALSO yummy.

(Frozen) Corn with a little olive oil.

Desserts:
    Pumpkin pies, one with crust the other with OATMEAL on the bottom as a crust. Apple, pear, cranberry oat pudding (All made the night before.)

(cool whip)

I think that's it!

I should keep this for NEXT YEAR!!

Share what worked and didn't for YOU!
    Or whatever else you want to share about how the day went, in review!
    Last edited by wwlynn; 11-27-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Default Re: Thanksgiving in review

What worked for me was to really be cognizant of my portion sizes and to stop eating when I was satisfied. No stretchy pants for me, yesterday! Except for the fruit, I basically only took 2-4 bite portions. My plate looked full but was not overflowing and I didn't feel like I needed to take a nap after we ate.

We went to my sister's and I simply left the food I had made* and only brought home a slice of store-bought apple pie for My Honey (no temptation...I HATE store-bought desserts).

*I'm a really good cook and my mother and sister hate cooking so a care package was made for my mother and my sister--with two teenage boys--kept the rest. I know I can have good cooking whenever I want, so there really wasn't a need for me to "hoard" any Thanksgiving food.
    Note: I follow the Winning Points program

Replies

It was just DH and I for Thanksgiving. My portions were good and I did not make dressing at all. We had turkey, mashed potatoes/gravy, brussel sprouts, store bought pumpkin pie for DH and I made an egg free pumpkin pie for me. I had bought a small bag of potatoes with the idea that I would make a small amount of mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving and use the rest of the potatoes for soup, stew and baked. DH said I was not making enough mashed potatoes. I tried to explain to him what a portion was and what we would have if we had baked potatoes. He insisted that we needed more potatoes to make mashed potatoes. I do not mind having a little bit of gravy and counting points for it. I did not get my homemade chicken broth made so made it with store bought chicken broth and it was not very good and not worth having. My homemade chicken broth makes good gravy. Now I have all this mashed potatoes and do not want to use gravy or margarine so do not know what I am going to do with all of it. Next year I want DH to stay out of the kitchen and I want to do like we have done since I have been on WW and that is to make roasted garlic mashed potatoes which is good without gravy or margarine. I also converted (I can not have COW) the core pie crust that has been previously posted on BCB. It is not very good so I would have preferred to just put my egg free pumpkin pie filling without any crust.
    Judy S.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009
    20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

This year's Thanksgiving was a little different than normal. I wasn't really planning on doing anything but our plans changed a little when my SIL invited us over for brunch on Thurs. I was planning on just cooking the free turkey I got from the store and a few sides for my kids and husband. But because we got invited over for brunch, that kind of flew out the window lol.

My mom suggested we do brunch over there and then we (her & my family) could do turkey dinner today (Friday) because she felt that 2 big meals was just way too much. She's on SiFi too. And she was so right.

Brunch was good. My brother is in training for body building o he is very aware of what he eats, which works out well for us. He made scrambled eggs and a ham. Also some blueberry pancakes. The eggs were prepared without added fats so they ended up being OP. I had the eggs, some of the ham-fats cut off & 1 pancake with SF syrup. I think I did pretty well yesterday.

Right now I am over at my mom's preparing dinner. We are making the SiFi cornbread stuffing (thank you for posting that recipe, it smells AMAZING!), the SiFi cranberry sauce, SiFi mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, and of course the turkey.

I can't wait to see what my family thinks of what I've made. I really think the stuffing will go over well, they loved the cornbread when I made it before. I am very excited and the house smells SO good right now lol.
    ~*Blythe*~

7/31/09: 10% Reached!
    8/28/09: 20 lbs Lost
    12/17/09: 50% Goal Reached! (32 lbs lost)
    Next Goal: 125 lbs

5. Default Re: Thanksgiving in review

Quote Originally Posted by Judy43 View Post
    Now I have all this mashed potatoes and do not want to use gravy or margarine so do not know what I am going to do with all of it.
    You could make a Shepherd's Pie or else a turkey pot pie and instead of crust put mashed potatoes on top. I also use extra mashed potatoes to make SiFi fishcakes, but I don't know if that is something that you would like. I usually make them with white fish like cod or haddock when it is on sale as "chowder fish" (basically just end pieces), but I suppose you could use any fish you like.
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
    You could make a Shepherd's Pie or else a turkey pot pie and instead of crust put mashed potatoes on top. I also use extra mashed potatoes to make SiFi fishcakes, but I don't know if that is something that you would like. I usually make them with white fish like cod or haddock when it is on sale as "chowder fish" (basically just end pieces), but I suppose you could use any fish you like.
    Sailor, thank you! The shepherd's pie sounds like a possiblity.
    Judy S.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009
    20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

You can make good SiFi mash using chicken stock & a hand mixer.

I second the shepherds pie idea!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePB7N9/]

I third the shepherd's pie.
    Note: I follow the Winning Points program

Replies

I made all the food myself. I first made the salad and had cut up too much cucumber so I put it in a bowl on the counter. During all the cooking I snacked on that cucumber and it worked like a dream.
    Kept my portion sizes decent and left room for wine. Worked like a charm.
    Peg

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.