Thread: Do you ever feel CRAVINGS?

Replies

Default Do you ever feel CRAVINGS?

Good morning SiFi'ers:

This is the third time I start SiFi. I do well the first 4 or 5 days and then I'm so axious! Yesterday was day#5 it was great until I came back from soccer class, I had nothing Core to eat, my WAPs were all gone, I was sooooo hungry so I gave in. I feel terrible now specially bc this is the third time trying SiFi.

Do you EVER feel these carvings for sweets and bread too?

Sorry guys but I just think it's sooo hard for me. I'm so dessapointed on myself!
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Replies

Default Re: Do you ever feel CARVINGS?

Lily, a lot of people feel cravings, especially when they first start. I HIGHLY recommend posting some of your menus. What you are eating helps a LOT in terms of being satisfied. You need to be sure you are eating enough and eating foods that TASTE GOOD and are physically satisfying. SO please post some typical menus. I bet that will help!

Also, some of us used things like sf/ff puddings and other sweet things MORE at first as we got into the groove. Make sure you are having "treats" but I'd try to eat filling food treats rather than sugar treats as the SUGAR and other SIMPLE CARBS (refined carbs like flour etc.) are what TRIGGER the cravings. So having some or even a little of those things can really trigger cravings!

Don't beat yourself up. Try to LEARN from the mistakes and then make a plan so they won't happen again..

PLEASE post typical menus!

3. Default Re: Do you ever feel CARVINGS?

I don't know if I'd call them cravings, but from time to time I WANT some particular food. For me, there are a couple of tricks that work. First, I do NOT have the food right away. I try to work it into a meal, either as the meal or as a dessert, depending on the food I am wanting to have. Second, I figure out how to make that food as SiFi as possible. For example, a so-called-forbidden food I sometimes want is fried fish with tartar sauce. I acknowledge that that is what I want, and I figure out how to have that and still stay on plan. My regular solution to this food that I often like is to make SiFi tartar sauce and to have it on grilled fish at home. Totally SiFi. Say I feel like eating a bunch of cookies, whatever kind. I acknowledge that's what I want. I WAIT and see if I still want it after I have a meal. Then, I may take ONE cookie, figure the points, and crumble it over some FF plain yogurt. Are you getting the idea?

If I try to tell myself, "Oh, you don't really want a cookie," I am doomed, because I know I really do want about 5 cookies. So, by saying, "Okay, I want cookies, how can I get a taste of cookies while staying on plan," I don't feel deprived and I stay on plan.

Hope this helps!!
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Replies

Default Re: Do you ever feel CARVINGS?

I don't know why not many people answer ME. Well, I don't want to take it personnal.

Anyways! Thanks Lynn I will post later one of my menus. I'm pretty busy right now.

Sailorwoman -- I loved the tip you gave me!! Thanks!! It sounds reasonable. I'll do that next time I carve for something.

I went to the park today for my 45 min walk. I didn't want to, but I did it even though I didn't feel like it. Yay! Good for me.

Back on track!
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Replies

Default Re: Do you ever feel CRAVINGS?

I look at cravings as a message from my body.
    First I want to be sure that its not thirst so I get some water. If they persist I feed them with a measured amount of that food. That will usually do the trick. If the craving continues I know then that something is eatin' me instead of me needing to eat something. If that happens exercise or some distracting activity will help.

Keep safe food or zero point foods handy, they can save you.
    CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

It sounds to me like the big problem yesterday for you was that you didn't have anything Core ready to satisfy your hunger after soccer. That has probably happened to all of us at one time or another, and we learn from it to always have a core food ready. I like to make cocoa flavored oat muffins and keep them in my freezer for those sorts of occasions. If you have one with skim milk, it will be fairly filling, and also gives you both the feeling of having eaten bread and a little sweetness. Core Banana muffins are also good for this. Here is the recipe (it's on this board, but I never can find things here):

Oat Bread with Cocoa Powder- ottermum variation

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cordy's Core Oat Bread with Cocoa Powder

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Lowfat/ Low Calorie Oatmeal
    Posted Yogurt

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    PHASE 1: MIX TOGETHER
    1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats -- 4 1/4 oz
    1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt -- PLUS
    1 cup nonfat milk
    1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Dutch Process Cocoa - the dark kind)
    SOAK WHILE YOU ARE MIXING UP THE INGREDIENTS BELOW (ABOUT 10 MINUTES)
    PHASE 2:
    PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES.
    SPRAY COOKIE SHEET OR PIE PLATE WITH
    COOKING SPRAY.
    To bowl of rehydrated oatmeal -- add:
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup Splenda -- 3/8 oz (or you can use powdered fructose I use 4-5 Tablespoons)
    1 cup oat bran -- 94 grams

Mix to form a dough, then turn out onto baking sheet or pie plate (if
    making scones, you should cut the dough into 8ths.) Bake for approx. 40 minutes, or until browned. (I make it in muffin paper cups - it makes about 12, and they bake for ~20 minutes).

Ratings : 1.5- 2 0 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 118 Calories; 2g Fat (14.1%
    calories from fat); 7g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 1mg
    Cholesterol; 537mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
    Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 1.7 points

Good luck!
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies

Lily, since I know you're having trouble finding ff plain yogurt, feel free to replace the yogurt with more milk.

Also, the reason you got few replies is that the board was pretty slow today--not a lot of action here today!

Replies

Do you eat many grains? I found that while in losing mode it was helpful to make sure that I ate plenty of bulgur, barley, oats, etc...which really helped me with the bread cravings. I always keep a stash of cooked bulgur in the refrigerator...

Stick with it - it's a lifestyle, not a diet...and it takes a long time to change old habits...
    Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot
    SW 196.2 - 7/3/6
    WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!
    CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!
    Lifetime - 2/12/7
    My Chart Before & After
    Simul justus et peccator

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by verngator1 View Post
    Do you eat many grains? I found that while in losing mode it was helpful to make sure that I ate plenty of bulgur, barley, oats, etc...which really helped me with the bread cravings. I always keep a stash of cooked bulgur in the refrigerator...

Stick with it - it's a lifestyle, not a diet...and it takes a long time to change old habits...
    I have been at this for 6 years and I am still learning. As Veronica says it takes time to change old habits. I find grains help alot only with me it is quinoa as I am allergic to wheat.
    Judy S.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009
    20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

I was craving sweets yesterday.

Normally, I don't even keep it in the house because it is way too much of a temptation but I had stuff in the house left from Halloween. I had hidden it so the kids didn't get into it and ended up forgetting it was there til yesterday! But because today was weigh in, I didn't give in.

Out of sight, out of mind
    ~*Blythe*~

7/31/09: 10% Reached!
    8/28/09: 20 lbs Lost
    12/17/09: 50% Goal Reached! (32 lbs lost)
    Next Goal: 125 lbs

Replies

Blythe, great example of *MANAGING YOUR ENVIRONMENT*

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by MommaChocoLatte View Post
    I didn't give in.

Your strength is showing
    Well done.
    CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

Lynn & CW- Thank you.

Lily- you can do it honey, hang tough
    ~*Blythe*~

7/31/09: 10% Reached!
    8/28/09: 20 lbs Lost
    12/17/09: 50% Goal Reached! (32 lbs lost)
    Next Goal: 125 lbs

Replies

MommaChocolatte -- Thanks for your cheers!
    Today I had a VERY busy day. I took Gilberto to his Soccer class, then took the kids to the dentist and Sara (my 17 month old DD) got a flu! I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow morning!!! I'm soooo tired.

Just wanted to say that even though I loved eating to satisfaction, I see that Sifi requires more planning. I also could tell (while doing Sifi) that a LOT of sweets and bread are NOT allowed.

I think willl end up my week on Flex. I just don't feel that strong for Core yet. I mean, I know it works, I know you guys higly recommend it and I'm sure it's a woderful plan. But for some reason I don't think it is the right time for me to do it. In the long term (as for maintainence), I'll try it again.

So, I'm switching back to flex. BUT, I will be back! I swear.. :-)

I'll be around here ok? I'm not leaving this forum ok?
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua-lily View Post
    Just wanted to say that even though I loved eating to satisfaction, I see that Sifi requires more planning. I also could tell (while doing Sifi) that a LOT of sweets and bread are NOT allowed.
    Sweets and breads ARE allowed while doing Sifi, but you have to plan for them, just as you do with Flex. If I'm getting in my activity points daily, I can usually have regular bread, daily if I need to, but just not in the quantity that I used to before doing WW. It's hard, too because my husband bakes his own bread about every three days, and that wonderful smell is so tempting! I miss eating lots of bread, too, but when I look at where I was and where I am, weightwise, it is worth it to have it in moderation.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Hi Folks,

Lily, I feel your pain! Sweets are the major thorn in my side regarding weight loss. I love healthy foods, love to do exercise, but my love of sweets is what keeps me heavier than I want to be. I really work at controlling it: at times I have sworn off sugar for years in a row, but after my divorce, I started to eat it again (since I wasn't eating anything else!).

Since doing WW, and now Core, I have modulated my sweets intake quite a bit, but it is a daily struggle. I find that the Cognitive Therapy strategies that Beck suggests really help. Also, like everyone says, you can have your sweets or whatever you crave with some discipline. For example, I had a small Dove bar (dark) yesterday, by using my WPA. It was great and although I knew I could have made a healthier choice, it takes away some of the "will-power" struggle with myself.

Also, when I crave certain foods, I often make them. I craved enchiladas a last week, so I made homemade sauce (ff), and homemade tortillas. I didn't even use any cheese, just my 1 pt of oil to cook the tortilla strips in, with sauce poured over: all I used were a few APs for the tortillas, and my craving was satisfied.

Some Beck advice:
    Practice resisting. You will gain strength and the knowledge that you CAN resist stuff.
    Distract yourself when you want junk. Go get stuff done, or make a list of things you can do to distract yourself.
    Tell yourself that if you want to keep the weight off forever, you don't have a choice!

Hope this long post helps!

Cheers!

Replies

Thanks for your cheers Soya. And I'm sorry to hear about your diviorce.

And well, my problem is bread and tortillas more than sweets. I can't have lunch or dinner without them! Besides, even though I know there are other options like polenta, bulgur, barley and couscous, in Mexico they don't sell them!!! They don't sell a lot of ff products either!! So it's pretty discouraging!! Some recipies you post I don't even know what the terms mean. Most foods are different (bc of our culture). I mean, I will do this but since I'm from Mexico it's been a little complicated for me.

I will not quit though. Just giving myself a break. (back to the old flex WW).
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127