Thread: What's wrong with me?

1. Default What's wrong with me?

I desperately want to lose weight. My newly-diagnosed hip arthritis adds another compelling reason to take off the pounds. So why do I keep eating? How do you overcome self-defeating behaviors?
    PJ -- frantic in Wisconsin!

SW: 195 (3/23/08)
    CW: 180 (11/14/09)
    Goal: 150 (although I would be content if I could wear a size 10!! )

Replies

Default Re: What's wrong with me?

Quote Originally Posted by PJWisconsin View Post
    I desperately want to lose weight. My newly-diagnosed hip arthritis adds another compelling reason to take off the pounds. So why do I keep eating? How do you overcome self-defeating behaviors?
    PJ, coming here is a great step! You sound very frustrated and I'm not sure how to respond. Partly because I have no idea what exactly you are experiencing.

But I guess the bottom line is that you need to become aware of, challenge and replace self defeating behaviors. (By becoming aware of and challenging the THINKING behind them). Sounds like "managing your thoughts" might be something to read about in your book 4. The Healthy Habits in general, including the quiz, might help (book 4).

Also, your very question seems kind of like negative self talk to me. The same thing is wrong with you that is wrong with all of us, you are human. We all make mistakes. We all tend to engage in self defeating behaviors. Stop beating yourself up or imagining that you are somehow less able than others. You CAN do this, because you are just like those of us who ARE doing it.

Another good resource, in terms of looking at your behavior and the thinking behind it, is the Beck Diet Solution. Judith Beck uses cognitive therapy techniques to get at the thinking behind your behavior. It fits nicely with WW.

Feel free to join in the conversation here, or at least to read, read read! We are here to help! There are many strategies we have learned to make it easier to make good choices!

Of course YOU get to do the hard work!

There is nothing wrong with you! Losing weight is hard, but being overweight or obese is harder! I started and stopped so many diets in my lifetime that at one point I thought I would NEVER lose weight, but I never stopped trying! Finally one day, it just stuck, once I found a program I could live with for life (WW Core plan!), now here I am 92 lbs lighter and SO much happier and healthier. You can do it too! Just don't quit trying, eventually all the little healthier things you do will become a way of life and it all adds up! But, you do truly have to want to change.

Keep coming here for support and motivation, this is a great group with lots of very knowledgeable and helpful, friendly people that have and are going through the very same thing as you!

You can do it!!!
    Kelli from MN

"change happens one day at a time"

4. Default Re: What's wrong with me?

Everybody has self-defeating behaviors, some people's relate to food, some to work, some to illegal things, we all have some!! And, just for balance, I'd like to add that we all have great behaviors and characteristics, too!! (I'm big on balance - not that I always have it!! LOL)

Anyway, you have come to the right place. The fact that you see you are eating in a way that is self-defeating is a great start! Now, what you have to figure out is how to continue to eat (we have to do that to live, after all!!) but not in a destructive or self-defeating way. So, take a look at this SiFi technique and see if it will help you to make choices that will make your eating healthful and positive so that at the end of the day you won't feel defeated, but instead you will feel stronger and affirmed, knowing that you made choices to benefit your life!! Sorry that was a long sentence, but I don't have time to edit.

Get rid of the non SiFi food in your house. Go out and get SiFi foods, particularly ones you can snack on (ff yogurt, core granola, fruit, carrot sticks, guacamole (yes, you can make guacamole SiFi!! - just don't have it on corn chips, try it on carrot sticks)

Browse the recipes. Try some new things! Make you you are NEVER HUNGRY. When we are hungry it is easy to slip into bad choices (which is why keeping the poor choices out of the house is the way to go if you can do that (some people have others in the house who need their stuff, though!!))

Give this a try. Stop beating up on yourself. Try to think positively. You can't change your feelings, but feelings can change. When you start to make some actual changes in what/how you're eating, I'll bet the feelings may start to change.

Hope this helps and keep posting and let us know how you're doing and what you're trying!!

Also, as a quote says all over the internet but without any attribution so I don't know who first said it, "Being overweight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining is hard. Choose your hard." And if you've got arthritis, the harder hard will be living with the overweight, IMHO. We're here to help!!

Be well.
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Replies

Lightbulb Re: What's wrong with me?

Quote Originally Posted by PJWisconsin View Post
    You GET to eat!

You GET to eat lots of healthy filling foods! And you won't be hungry.

You DON'T get to OVEREAT.

That shouldn't be too hard, once you make up your mind.

"Strength is a matter of a made up mind." -John Beecher

And,

"It is truly said: It does not take much strength to do things, but it requires great strength to decide what to do. -Chow Ching

So git to decidin'!

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

PJ are you here????

Replies

Wink Re: What's wrong with me?

Lynn: Here's something funny. I had to look up the WW's quote about "strength" that they credited to Edmund J. Burke. Well, I found out it's John Beecher's quote.

Edmund J. Burke did make some great "strength" quotes, though. Just not "a made up mind"...

I was so surprised.

I've been using that one I got off the WW website for YEARS now!... It's what got-me-going in 2001.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by WWCarol View Post
    It's what got-me-going in 2001.

Well that's all that matters though isn't it??? It IS a great quote!!

Replies

Smile Re: What's wrong with me?

Yep. That's all that matters...