Thread: OT: My ongoing breadmachine saga

Replies

Red face OT: My ongoing breadmachine saga

Okay, so a few months ago my beloved 18 year old bread machine plunged "headfirst" onto the ceramic tile kitchen floor and "died"....so I quickly purchased a NEW one...but decided I prefered the OLD round ones...and then I found my parents' and took it home and have been using it but it doesn't have the fast/"turbo" setting that I like. SO I was looking at ones JUST LIKE MINE on ebay...AND I BOUGHT ONE! AND it came today but it is QUITE banged up...I just baked a FANTASTIC loaf of bread in it...YES, these old DAKs work GREAT! BUT I am bummed by how banged up it is. I think it happened in shipping. I'm not sure it will matter long term but it is discrouaging. I'm trying to reach the seller....

and....

here...

is

the....

worst

part....

.....I'm looking at other ones just like it on ebay!!!

Yes, I am outta control

2. Default Re: OT: My ongoing breadmachine saga

Do you have a Salvation Army Thrift Store or Goodwill Thrift Store near you? The ones out here always have bread machines and the stock is always changing and I bet if you are not in a hurry you'll find what you want.
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Replies

Default Re: OT: My ongoing breadmachine saga

Hmmm, I am looking for a very specific machine that hasn't been made in years...but I suppose it might be worth a look!

Replies

You must have willpower of STEEL...if I baked bread, I would re-gain every pound I lost! Baked goods are such a trigger for me...and it's sad because we have a very nice Williams-Sonoma bread machine that has not been used since 2006!
    Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot
    SW 196.2 - 7/3/6
    WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!
    CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!
    Lifetime - 2/12/7
    My Chart Before & After
    Simul justus et peccator

Replies

No willpower of steel here! More like I make a loaf of Cream of Wheat bread...and eat it in a short period of time...and don't eat much else at least...I made a small loaf last night and it turned out better than in my brand new machine or my mom's old one (similar to my old one but without the turbo setting)....The dog got a hold of it (but I got the rest)....

Makes my quest all the crazier doesn't it?????

Replies

So then you have a very pampered, well fed dog?

Yeah, I get like that about some things...like about these stupid Zhu Zhu Pets!
    Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot
    SW 196.2 - 7/3/6
    WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!
    CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!
    Lifetime - 2/12/7
    My Chart Before & After
    Simul justus et peccator

Replies

I should also mention that I don't bake bread often. I guess the whole bread machine is highly nostalgic for me too. We bought it right after my older son had his brain tumor when he was 5 and DS#2 was less than a year old....I know that might sound odd. Someone had given us bread from a bread machine around that time and I *had* to have one! I used it A LOT....it was kind of a special time....and that was 18 years ago of course...

Seriously, these DAK bread machines were FABULOUS and still are!!!!!

Replies

My son and I have too many food allergies to be able to eat store bought bread. We bake two loaves of whole wheat seed crunch bread a week. Or maybe one a week. In any case we use a zozhurishi bread maker and it's just a charm. It pre heats the ingredients for you so you just toss the stuff in and get bread. I read somewhere that of all the methods of making bread a bread machine does the best job of kneading.
    I'll be baking half white/wheat bread soon to get ready for Thanksgiving dressing.
    I slice a few slices thick for me to make toast, the only bread I eat all day and the rest thin for my DS sandwich and burger buns.
    I LOVE my bread machine.
    Peg

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Replies

I agree that it is ALL about the kneading. These DAK machines knead the heck out of the bread and therefore make a nice light loaf of even COW bread!!! The other thing it does exceptionally well is makes a very crispy crust!!!!

Replies

Lightbulb Re: OT: My ongoing breadmachine saga

I don't think you'd have the counter space for the Zojirushi Bakery Supreme that I just got (and love).

They (Zo) also have a little cutie-pie that makes a smaller loaf.

Check it out at King Arthur's website. Then you'd be buying something new and reliable AND cute AND small (and I think it's kinda' round--)...

The upfront cost is worth it. [Edit: Sorry! LOL. I thought it was going to be about $99. Hopefully you could find it for less someplace else...]

Here it is: Zojirushi Mini

Last edited by WWCarol; 11-13-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: add
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Thanks Carol, that's intriguing (the little one) but I'm sticking with what I know (and even already own, though I might just pick up a second DAK)