Thread: Picnic Help

Replies

Default Picnic Help

I know it is the middle of Novemeber (and cold here) but we are taking our dog to the beach on friday and i wanted to pack some SiFi friendly foods. Any suggestions? We won't have a way to heat them up and it is about an hour and a half away. I had a bad week last week (gained a bit) and want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make up for that

2. Default Re: Picnic Help

If it is going to be cold, I'd bring a thermos of chili and have cornbread on the side. If you don't have a thermos, think about getting one; I use mine a lot on outings like that.

Otherwise, I'd do something like the Wheatberry Salad with Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes. It travels well. I got it from this website, but now I can't find it (even searching with Google!!) so I'm pasting it here from my Word doc:

White Bean, Wheat Berry, Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Pesto Vinaigrette CORE

1 cup cooked small white beans, drained
    1 cup cooked wheat berries
    1 pound fresh asparagus, blanched, drained, and cut into 1 pieces
    1 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
    cup kalamata olives, quartered

Pesto Vinaigrette

1 cup fresh basil leaves, rinsed and drained
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 TBSP olive oil
    2 TBSP white wine vinegar
    2 TBSP water
    tsp. salt
    tsp. pepper

Protein of your choice to add on top (e.g., chicken breast, tuna, hard-boiled egg, salmon)

Prepare pesto vinaigrette in food processor or blender.

Combine all salad ingredients in large bowl and toss with vinaigrette. Top with protein of your choice.

Note: Dividing this into six servings is core and results in 2 tsp. healthy oil per serving.
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Default Re: Picnic Help

Love the idea of a Thermos with something hot - chilli, soup etc would be lovely on a cool day.

When we pack summer picnics I make my tuna & bean salad - one can tuna, one can beans (mixed, white, navy - whatever), drain both cans, make a simple dressing with balsamic vinegar or lemon juice or lime juice with a little olive oil, add bleack pepper. Mix together with tuna & beans. You can also add corn, chopped peppers etc if you want to. Travels well, and is filling with all that good for you protein!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePB7N9/]

Replies

Default Re: Picnic Help

thanks for the suggestions! we are running to BJ's tonight so maybe I will look for a thermos there!