Thread: Help with a recipe?

Default Help with a recipe?

I planned on making some lowfat cupcakes as a dessert one night this week. It's kind of an experiment, I have 2 kids having bdays next month and I normally make their cakes and I wanted to try to make them lower in pts working with SiFi but didn't want to mess their cakes up so this is the 'test cake' to see how they like it lol. Nothing worse than a gross cake on your bday right?

Anyway, here are the ingredients:

Betty Crocker SuperMoist Devil's Food dry mix
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (in place of oil)
    3 eggs
    1 1/3 cups water

Frosting:

1-8oz tub of FF Cool Whip
    1-1.4 oz pkg of SF/FF instant chocolate pudding mix, dry

The way I have it figured is that if I can get it to make 20 cupcakes, they will be 3 pts a piece; about 4 pts for 16. Just wanted to make sure I figured that right.
    ~*Blythe*~

7/31/09: 10% Reached!
    8/28/09: 20 lbs Lost
    12/17/09: 50% Goal Reached! (32 lbs lost)
    Next Goal: 125 lbs

Replies

Default Re: Help with a recipe?

That sounds good, but here's a thread that may help if it doesn't work out just right. Seems everyone really likes this recipe and there are so many variations you could make both kids different cakes!

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...ad.php?t=72996
    *Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

Thanks Linda. Originally I had planned for using Diet soda but since the applesauce and eggs are on the 'list' I decided to use those as I have been making cakes that way for as long as I can remember!

The real concern I have is the taste of the 'frosting' mainly how well the pudding mix mixes in with the cool whip. (And counting the Non-SiFi foods correctly )

I've done plain yogurt with pudding mix, which took a bit of mixing so it didn't clump up and I've done Jello/Pudding Fluff with the same technique.
    ~*Blythe*~

Replies

Blythe, Just FYI, I'm not sure how you were going to count this, but this would be a case where it would make sense to count points for the whole thing. It only really makes sense to count points for only the non filling foods when a recipe is MOSTLY filling foods. The fact that the cake mix is the predominant ingredient in the cake, would mean counting points for ALL of it...actually, it probably doesn't even decrease the points value (much, if at all) if you subtract out the applesauce and eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by wwlynn View Post
    Blythe, Just FYI, I'm not sure how you were going to count this, but this would be a case where it would make sense to count points for the whole thing. It only really makes sense to count points for only the non filling foods when a recipe is MOSTLY filling foods. The fact that the cake mix is the predominant ingredient in the cake, would mean counting points for ALL of it...actually, it probably doesn't even decrease the points value (much, if at all) if you subtract out the applesauce and eggs.

Yeah that was actually my thought as well, Lynn. Thanks!
    ~*Blythe*~

Ok I think the compromise I've come to (in my head lol) is that I am going to do the diet soda variation but do it like I did the WW Better Than Sex Cake and use the soda plus an egg white and just count the whole recipe.

Which turns out to be the same pt amounts as I posted in my original post.. so now all I have to do is make sure it makes 16-20 cupcakes
    ~*Blythe*~

Replies

Arrow Re: Help with a recipe?

I HATE it that the "search" function doesn't work on BCB... I couldn't get "google" to find it either.

'Cause I have a recipe for cupcakes that are delicious, but I'll have to type it out for you...

Years ago somebuddy called them "muffins"; then I called them "trigger muffins"...but really? They are cupcakes. Plain and simple. I also wrote, "ONLY FOR A BIRTHDAY!" because they are hard to resist.

(Trigger) Cupcakes:

1 package yellow cake mix
    1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
    1/2 C. water
    1/2-3/4 C. Nestle cinnamon chips

Mix it all together and spoon into sprayed muffin tins. Bakes at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

The kids absolutely love these!

Makes 24 cupcakes @ 2 points each.

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Whats the recipe to your better than sex cake?
    Fatima AKA Smylin_Atcha
    ya ya name: Queen Horny Toad Smurf name: Hootchie Smurfette
    sw:270 cw:190.6 79.4 lbs destroyed:bcbsalute
    Faith is the ability to know u will survive the panic. Rosie O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by smylin_atcha View Post
    Whats the recipe to your better than sex cake?
    Here you go: It's one of those recipes that gets passed around and around and around lol.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...ad.php?t=74492
    ~*Blythe*~

Quote Originally Posted by WWCarol View Post
    I HATE it that the "search" function doesn't work on BCB... I couldn't get "google" to find it either.

'Cause I have a recipe for cupcakes that are delicious, but I'll have to type it out for you...

Years ago somebuddy called them "muffins"; then I called them "trigger muffins"...but really? They are cupcakes. Plain and simple. I also wrote, "ONLY FOR A BIRTHDAY!" because they are hard to resist.

(Trigger) Cupcakes:

1 package yellow cake mix
    1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
    1/2 C. water
    1/2-3/4 C. Nestle cinnamon chips

Mix it all together and spoon into sprayed muffin tins. Bakes at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

The kids absolutely love these!

Makes 24 cupcakes @ 2 points each.

That sounds really yummy. I've done a variation of this using Spice cake mix.. it was SO good even the kids loved it. SF/FF Cheesecake pudding mix in a tub of cool whip would probably make a good 'frosting' for this too.
    ~*Blythe*~