Thread: Si Fi Thanksgiving ideas and recipes

Question Si Fi Thanksgiving ideas and recipes

I think we did this last year - and it's getting to be that time... Does anyone have a link to the thread from last year - or any new ideas?

189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies

Default Re: Si Fi Thanksgiving ideas and recipes

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=101377 That's a thread from the recipe board about stuffing.

I'm having trouble finding other threads. I can't find that big Tgiving thread!

Anyway, just thought I'd say that Tgiving is a really SiFi friendly holiday! Turkey, sweet potatoes, veggies, corn bread, mashed potatoes, cranberry salad/relish, pumpkin pie, ALL easily made with all or mostly all filling foods!!!

To me, stuffing/filling is the only food that isn't already almost SiFi,but there are recipes using barley or couscous. I have usually just gone with 100% whole wheat bread in my stuffing and counted the points.

Pumpkin pie is largely made with filling foods, you just need to use Splenda and ff milk and skip the crust. You can also put some cornmeal into the pumpkin mixture, it will more or less sink and make kind of a crust. It will bulk up the pie too. I found this in a non "diet" recipe by the way....OR you can sprinkle oats on the bottom of the pie plate for something like a crust.

I like to roast sweet and regular potatoes along with some other veggies.

Mashed potatoes are easily made SiFi with ff milk or evap ff milk, olive oil...

Make your own cranberry salad with fresh cranberries, Splenda and any other fruits you want to toss in (pineapple, apples, add some nuts if you want using points). You can also put in a red sf jello to thicken/sweeten it.

You could even make a jello salad SiFi with sf jello and using ff plain yogurt of ff sour cream instead of regular sour cream (if called for in your recipe).

Other ideas???

Replies

I have some but just haven't had time this weekend. I think you'll have more luck with this thread during the week.
    I have made this for company and they loved it!
    Candied Sweet Potatoes- Core or 2 pts

1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
    1 1/2 pound sweet potato(es), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
    8 oz canned crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
    3 tsp McNeil Specialty Products SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425F. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.

Place potatoes in prepared dish. Combine crushed pineapple, Splenda and cinnamon in a small bowl; add to potatoes and toss until well mixed. (Note: You can use canned sweet potatoes in water to save time, if you prefer.)

Bake, stirring after 30 minutes, until sweet potato mixture is bubbly, about 45 minutes. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving

6 servings
    Sue
    163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

4. Default Re: Si Fi Thanksgiving ideas and recipes

I found it (or at least one of them!) and bumped it up on the SiFi Recipe Board. (Here's a link: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=141959 )

Enjoy!!
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Replies

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...ad.php?t=90917
    Pumpkin pie thread from the recipe board.

Quote Originally Posted by wwlynn View Post
    Anyway, just thought I'd say that Tgiving is a really SiFi friendly holiday! Turkey, sweet potatoes, veggies, corn bread, mashed potatoes, cranberry salad/relish, pumpkin pie, ALL easily made with all or mostly all filling foods!!!
    I was thinking about this just yesterday. I think the main thing for me will be to eat to satisfaction. There will be plenty of SiFi foods.
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Replies

Thanks Sailor that's a BIG thread!!! Plenty of stuff in it!

Makes me wonder what happened to all those buddies?????

Thanks, Buddies!
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies

My family LOVES THIS:

Wild Mushroom-Barley Stuffing

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=121781

I make this year-round. Sometimes I do half-bulgur, half-barley since I usually have the bulgur on hand.

I don't see this in the SiFi Recipe forum, so I'm going to add it...
    Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot
    SW 196.2 - 7/3/6
    WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!
    CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!
    Lifetime - 2/12/7
    My Chart Before & After
    Simul justus et peccator

Veronica, do you always put the canadian bacon in the recipe? I'm not used to meat in my dressing. How much a difference would it make?

I love stuffing and I would like to find one that really hit the spot. I tried last year, but to no avail.

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by freetobethin View Post
    Veronica, do you always put the canadian bacon in the recipe? I'm not used to meat in my dressing. How much a difference would it make?

I love stuffing and I would like to find one that really hit the spot. I tried last year, but to no avail.
    Yes, I do add it...that and the chicken broth add flavor...cut the bacon into very tiny pieces.

That being said, I serve this in place of stuffing...but it's not exactly like stuffing because it's not "bread-y". (OK, that's not really a word.) But it's a nice side dish that complements typical Thanksgiving fare very well.
    Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot
    SW 196.2 - 7/3/6
    WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!
    CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!
    Lifetime - 2/12/7
    My Chart Before & After
    Simul justus et peccator

Here's my tenative menu

• Turkey (oven roasted - yum!)
    • Mashed potatoes (made with skim milk, no butter)
    • corn on the cob (I buy the frozen cobbettes)
    • core corn bread for me dinner rolls for everyone else (I will share mine if anyone wants some though )
    • stuffing (I don't like stuffing, so this will be easy for me to skip!)
    • green bean casserole (I don't like this either, so don't mind skipping it!)
    • core pumpkin pie for me - apple pie ala mode for everyone else as well as pumpkin pie
    Kelli from MN

"change happens one day at a time"