Thread: Amaranth?

Default Amaranth?

Has anyone here tried amaranth? It's a tiny grain - interesting texture, ok flavor, although DH didn't like it. I assume it is a filling food, but can't find it listed anywhere. I ran out of ww couscous, so I used this instead, since I had it. Pretty sticky, though - glutinous!
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies

Default Re: Amaranth?

I would think it is a core food unless it has sugar in it. In Mexico it is very popular its mostly used as a candy. I love it!
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Replies

I'm double checking this over at the WW FF board. "Amaranth" IS NOT marked as a filling food in e tools, but Amaranth FLAKES are! ?? I THINK it is a filling food, as a whole/plain GRAIN...maybe that is a mistake in etools. The only other thing I could imagine is if it is a "seed"...but I believe other buddies have talked about this before, I just haven't ever seen it or eaten it to know for sure...

I'll get back to you when others answer my thread over there....of course you could also check the responses over there too! (But I WILL report back!)

Replies

Word has it over on the FF WW board that it should be a filling food. It seems it is not marked FF due to being a seed, technically, but I guess it is more like a grain. The same thing happened with millet. Wasn't core, then was....

Thank you Lynn and Lily! I'd read (I think on Wikipedia) that it was a major ingredient in a candy in Mexico (alegria?), but I was just using it in its boiled form (as a substitute for cous cous, which I ran out of). I could see eating it as a cereal (like oatmeal). It has an interesting texture that sort of reminds me of red quinoa.

Lily, do you have any recipes for fixing it that could be modified to make them Si-Fi?

Thanks again!
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06