Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Turbo-core": Reigning it in!

Replies

Default "Turbo-core": Reigning it in!

Okay, so Linda used the term "turbo-core" today...and I am not going to pretend to know EXACTLY what she means, BUT I assume this has to do with REIGNING THINGS IN, after you maybe got a LITTLE out of control!

AND, let's face it, that is the BEST time to reign it in....when you got just a LITTLE out of control...but regardless, we all have times when we feel a need to get back on track or just reign things in a bit, when the wheels are just beginning to come off the wagon.

**(Just to clarify, as a good BCB, I FIRMLY believe we are ALWAYS ultimately in control of the status of the "wheels on our wagon")**

SO, HOW DO YOU REIGN IT IN?...How do you go "TURBO CORE"....What are the hints/signals that you need to do this....what makes you reign it in?

After a spring and summer of insane amounts of cycling (like my peak of over 1000 miles in five weeks), I moved into fall, and really, just RECENTLY stopped biking so darned much. There is no way I am going to exercise for several HOURS per day at a high intensity level year round....But I was still pretty much EATING like I was (all within the boundaries of SiFi of course...just TOO MUCH food)...

Last week I was noticing how few VEGETABLES I was eating...a HINT! And then I hopped on the scale one day and was 1 lb over goal. Not a huge problem but TIME TO REIGN IT IN!!!!

Now buddies, how one buddy reigns it in is different than how another buddy reigns it in...

• Something I paid attention to last week was STOPPING EATING in the early evening. Not because there is something magical about that time, but because it is almost never NECESSARY to eat at that time...not really hungry!
    • I also started to put more LOW ENERGY DENSE veggies back in my menu....like my beloved baby carrots.
    • Another thing I did last week, and really, I did not PLAN this and don't necessarily recommend it, is that I ate nothing but filling foods. It just kind of worked out that way and just kind of works for ME. Partly this came about because I earned relatively few APs last week and I tend to use them first AND I am an overly cautious person who likes to have "a lot of money in the bank"...hence I just ended up NOT eating non filling foods. Late in the week it just kind of became a GAME with me....
    Just thought I'd share and see what others do to get back on track, whether you were off a little or a lot...and of course remembering that here at BCB we believe we CAN be OP every day....BUT that if we slip up, we get RIGHT back on track, learning from experience and making a plan so that we don't make that mistake again!
    Last edited by wwlynn; 11-03-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Replies

Default Re: "Turbo-core": Reigning it in!

Quote Originally Posted by wwlynn View Post
    Okay, so Linda used the term "turbo-core" today...and I am not going to pretend to know EXACTLY what she means, BUT I assume this has to do with REIGNING THINGS IN, after you maybe got a LITTLE out of control!
    That's exactly what I mean! Kind of like when I was on flex and would eat "lightly" after a higher point day. I add TONS of veggies (zero points) , drink more plain water than usual, and do just a bit more exercise. I clear my body and mind, it's not a "fast" but a purposely lower fat and calorie couple of days. No WAPs, or "unfriendly" foods, it's not like I don't have a million choices on SF! Doing this for life, there will be times that I go "overboard", that's not an excuse to keep swimming! I grab the life-line and pull myself up!
    *Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

Replies

Thanks Linda! I hope you don't mind me starting this thread!!!

• What do others do to REIN IT IN????

• What makes you realize it is TIME to rein it in????

• Reining it in EARLY (when needed) is key to long term success I think!!!!
    Last edited by wwlynn; 11-05-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Replies

Great thread, Lynn!

+1 what Linda says...and this is what I do:

-Double-check my portion sizes, making sure I don't have "plate creep" (i.e. non-veggie items should fit on the small center part of my plate and should not FILL the PLATE...especially ww pasta dishes!).

-Double-check my satisfaction level and am more careful while eating.

-Ask myself whether or not I am really hungry or just in the mood to nosh.

-Ask myself whether I am really hungry enough for another bite or another serving.

-Stick to Core/Filling Foods and avoid using WPA's...with the exception of the half & half in my morning coffee...

When do I do it?

-I usally FEEL a weight gain before I see it on the scale...so it's about how I FEEL.

...and big YES to reigning it in QUICKLY.
    Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot
    SW 196.2 - 7/3/6
    WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!
    CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!
    Lifetime - 2/12/7
    My Chart Before & After
    Simul justus et peccator

A very smart and timely post. I wish I could think of something more to add, maybe after I ponder a bit
    lose 7.6 by Oct 2019

Replies

WOW!! Did I ever need this thread tonight! My Mom's house had a huge water leak and I had to move her here 10 days ago tomorrow. She is 85, has a lot of problems and we had to take over the insurance claim and contractor details for the repair of the house. She talks incessently, repeating herself a million times a day AND I was keeping 2yo DGS this week. I did NOT do well on my eating so I really need to "reign it in" this week. Great ideas which I will put into practice in the morning. Thanks to all!!!!
    Cherry

Remember: The only Jesus some people may see is the Jesus in you and the Jesus in me!

SW 198
    CW 142

GW 150

Sort of like what others have said. When I need to rein it in, #1 on my list is head for more of the filling foods and less or none of the ones I have to count. #2 is to be sure I'm getting in some activity. This is probably my biggest problem these days - the arguments are "I'm too tired" and "I'm too busy" - neither of which really are valid. #3 is to drink more plain water, and less flavored water (tea, coffee, etc.). I can't help but remember last winter when I saw the leader I'd lost my weight with, and she was introducing the new plan - we talked and she said that she thought that the switch in the plan to allowing caffeinated and ANY noncaloric liquid to count toward your six cups per day would be something that WW would reconsider. I think she may have been onto something.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies

Is it:

REIGN it in OR REIN it in.

Sorry guys I'm still learning some English and I think Lynn just spelled it wrong?
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

REIN is the correct word.

rein  /reɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [reyn] Show IPA

–noun 1.Often, reins. a leather strap, fastened to each end of the bit of a bridle, by which the rider or driver controls a horse or other animal by pulling so as to exert pressure on the bit. 2.any of certain other straps or thongs forming part of a harness, as a checkrein.3.any means of curbing, controlling, or directing; check; restraint.4.reins, the controlling or directing power: the reins of government.
    –verb (used with object) 5.to check or guide (a horse or other animal) by exerting pressure on a bridle bit by means of the reins.6.to curb; restrain; control.
    –verb (used without object) 7.to obey the reins: a horse that reins well. 8.to rein a horse or other animal.
    —Idioms 9.draw rein, to curtail one's speed or progress; halt: The rider saw the snake and drew rein sharply. 10.give rein to, to give complete freedom to; indulge freely: to give rein to one's imagination. Also, give free rein to, give full rein to..

reign  /reɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [reyn] Show IPA

–noun 1.the period during which a sovereign occupies the throne.2.royal rule or authority; sovereignty.3.dominating power or influence: the reign of law.
    –verb (used without object) 4.to possess or exercise sovereign power or authority.5.to hold the position and name of sovereign without exercising the ruling power.6.to have control, rule, or influence of any kind.7.to predominate; be prevalent.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePB7N9/]

Replies

OOPS!!!! I thought I might be wrong (before I posted it), but didn't check!!!! I'm very embarassed!! I think I'll correct all the ones except the title, which only a moderator can change!

Replies

Hmm, somehow I am not getting the option of editing my original post...oh well...

MEANWHILE, other things I do to REIN it in are:
    • BUMP UP MY ACTIVITY
    • Make sure I am DRINKING (not alcohol of course), water, herbal tea
    • Focus on the 9GHGs

Lynn, something's been going on with the edit button last couple of weeks so.........
    lose 7.6 by Oct 2019

Replies

Lynn,
    It's ok. Last night I was doing some spanish spelling homework with Ana Luisa (DD), and I was also emabarassed that I had to look to the dictionary bc I wasn't sure of how to spell some words!!
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Replies

Wink Re: "Turbo-core": Reigning it in!

Awesome posting!!Thank you!
    Wendy ~ Mommy to 4 GREAT Boys~ 19, 11, 7, & 4
    LT~ 6/1992
    HPregW 228 May 24 06

Replies

I certainly need to rein it in!!!! I have slowy gone off the core bandwagon and need to get back on! I grocery shopped today and plan to do some great core cooking tomorrow. I am thinking oatmeal creme brulee - boy do I miss that! Also, a big batch of soup or two, thinking mushroom barley and maybe some pasta fagiole.

Thanks for the post - I really need it!

Karen
    I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.

Replies

I am ALSO still "reining it in"....I have been "on program" but probably eating TOO MUCH...which is possible! With my dramatic decrease in activity (brining it more into the normal range) I really need to cut back on my eating AND make sure I'm not eating too many of the more energy dense filling foods! I had to do that while I was biking a ton (focus on more energy dense foods) but I'm NOT biking a ton any more!!

This pretty much happens for me every fall. I want to have a nice "cushion" in terms of my goal weight, not be teetering right at it or slightly above!

Glad this thread has resonated with so many!!!

I'm trying to bump my activity back up - I'd gotten busy and neglected it - and the net result is that I need to either exercise more or eat LESS (quantitywise). I haven't done it yet, but another thing to do to rein it in is to count points, while eating Si Fi - just to remind ourselves about portion sizes. I know I've pushed the envelope there - getting further away from what I learned while losing the weight on Flex (counting points). Also insisting on listening for that sigh of being "satisfied", and doing a better job of eating to satisfaction, but not beyond.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Trying to find things to do now that its dark before 6:00. Its so easy to sit back and "veg" . Sometimes I get to a library just to get out of the house.
    lose 7.6 by Oct 2019

Replies

There are LOTS of great DVDs for exercising indoors at home! The 30 Day Shred and the Biggest Loser DVDs are great! I also got into "step" DVDs last year (and bought a step). SO many options!

Replies

Lynn -- I might need to buy one of those DVDs. I don't have time to go for a walk (since I have to take care of my 1yo), but workout videos sound like a smart option.
    Do you know where can I find them?
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua-lily View Post
    Lynn -- I might need to buy one of those DVDs. I don't have time to go for a walk (since I have to take care of my 1yo), but workout videos sound like a smart option.
    Do you know where can I find them?
    Just google (yes it is my answer to nearly everything). They definitely have them at Amazon!

I've been trying to rein it in all year.
    It's been hard for me. All the success I had last year on CORE-It seemed so easy. Not sure why I've had such a hard time staying in the groove. I've gained some weight-not a lot-not even enough to push me into a bigger size clothing -but mentally I've gained a lot of weight back.
    I keep waiting for the "aha"- it seems to come every once in a while, then fade away.
    I think in trying to grasp this as a way of life and not just a "diet", I have made more allowances for myself than I should.
    I'll just keep at it...
    Bridget
    SW 230
    CW 151.8
    GW 130

Replies

My weight is up a bit right now too. Like I've been saying, I think it's a matter of reduced exercise while still eating the same amount of food. Still within the confines of the plan, but apparently too much food! Or it's just a seasonal thing????

Anyway, a funny thing is that TWO people that I haven't seen for a while have seen me and commented about how THIN I am! One said "you've lost a LOT of weight" and the other just said something about how thin I look...I was thinking about when I last saw these people and I bet I am no thinner or just a little thinner than I was last time I saw them...AND I feel kind of "fat" right now!!! It's really funny!!!

Anyway, I definitely need to rein it in a bit OR start biking like a fiend again!

You're right, Lynn. It IS weird. I was at a dinner w/ DH on Saturday, and a guy I've never met asked if I was a swimmer. I told him that I was, but I have not been swimming in quite a while. Hoping that conversation was over, I walked back toward DH. The guy came up to me again and said I had the physique of a swimmer. A compliment, I know, but I was a bit creeped out, I must say. His wife was standing right next to him. I think I'd have a few choice words with my DH if he was foolish enough to ever comment on another woman's physique-especially right to her face !
    DH has been very complimentary to me this whole year, but I am not so happy with where I am.
    Time to REALLY CONSIDER what it takes to Rein it in !!!!
    Last edited by Bridgethemom; 11-11-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Bridget
    SW 230
    CW 151.8
    GW 130

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgethemom View Post
    The guy came up to me again and said I had the physique of a swimmer. A compliment, I know, but I was a bit creeped out, I must say.
    Wow Bridget, that is rather bold! But you really should feel good!!! Apparently he was just SO amazed by your physique that he had to say something!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast