Thread: New to Weight Watchers and Need Help!

Default New to Weight Watchers and Need Help!

Hello All,

I just joined the weight watchers program online back at the beginning of September. My first week I lost around 4 pounds and since then I really haven't lost anything! I have been sticking to the plan as well as doing some exercise. I am alotted 25 points daily, weight 182 pounds and varry my points between about 22-30 depending on the day, if its the weekend and such. I usually have around 20 left over bonus points at the end of the week and don't use activity points because I have been told by numerous people that it is more of a harm then good thing unless you do hardcore workout which I do not do. I tend to do around 10,000 steps a day on most days. I just do not see what the problem is and would love any pointers or ways to get a jump start to this weight loss. I am getting slightly discoraged but still remain faithful to the plan. Any tips and lots of them would be great!!! Thanks so much!

Replies

Default Re: New to Weight Watchers and Need Help!

If you're not eating your Activity Points, are you giving yourself the extra 2 points in your Target (from the section that asks about your activity level).

Have you tried doing the Simply Filling Technique to look at the "quality" of food you're eating if the "quantity" is there with following points?
    Kimberley

I tend to eat all of my veggies and fruits on most days. I eat only whole wheat. Do you know of a website or something I can see a weekly sketch of what I should be eating during the week?

I eat breakfast everyday as well as lunch and dinner. I don't know if maybe I am eating too many points or too little. I really have no idea what the problem could be. But it gets very frustrating when I seem to be doing everything I am supposed to be doing.

I can certainly understand getting frustrated when you seem to be doing everything correctly. There are a lot of WW-pros here on the board. Can you post for us a few days worth of your food and the points you've been counting as well as the specific exercises you are doing?

If you can share with us the specifics I'm sure someone can offer some suggestions.

Don't give up. This does work.

Replies
    Blog Entries

According to my meeting leader, if one is not eating the weekly points as well as the daily points, one isn't getting enough food and the metabolism will slow the weight loss to protect the body from starvation. She also recommends eating the activity points, or at least some of them, especially with vigorous exercise.

I haven't made up my mind yet how I feel about all that, but I've only been a member since July....
    Mini-Goal

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by miristar View Post
    According to my meeting leader, if one is not eating the weekly points as well as the daily points, one isn't getting enough food and the metabolism will slow the weight loss to protect the body from starvation. She also recommends eating the activity points, or at least some of them, especially with vigorous exercise.

I haven't made up my mind yet how I feel about all that, but I've only been a member since July....
    Your Leader is smart.

CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

7. Smile Re: New to Weight Watchers and Need Help!

I too am new to WW. I joined on Oct 3 and as of last Saturday had only lost 3lbs. I am tracking and sometimes I don't use all of my points and it is hard getting the milk and oil and whatever in. I am determined this time to lose this weight. My health depends on it. I am still researching the foods and their points. I figure eventually I will know what and how much I can eat without looking it up. I try to walk when I can for exercise.

Let me know if you come up with new ideas.
    Betty Ann

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by BettyAnn506 View Post
    I too am new to WW. I joined on Oct 3 and as of last Saturday had only lost 3lbs. I am tracking and sometimes I don't use all of my points and it is hard getting the milk and oil and whatever in. I am determined this time to lose this weight. My health depends on it. I am still researching the foods and their points. I figure eventually I will know what and how much I can eat without looking it up. I try to walk when I can for exercise.

Let me know if you come up with new ideas.
    Betty Ann
    Betty Ann, if you aren't using all of your daily points each day that could very well be what is causing your slow weight loss. We really need to use all of those points as a minimum in order to keep our metabolism fired up.

Some tips:
    1. Plan ahead
    2. Concentrate on the Good Health Guidelines and on getting in all of your requirements every day
    3. If you're using a lot of fat free foods, substitute fuller fat versions
    4. Include foods like avocados, nuts, and peanut butter to get in additional healthly fats
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingKaren View Post
    I can certainly understand getting frustrated when you seem to be doing everything correctly. There are a lot of WW-pros here on the board. Can you post for us a few days worth of your food and the points you've been counting as well as the specific exercises you are doing?

If you can share with us the specifics I'm sure someone can offer some suggestions.

Don't give up. This does work.
    Well here is a few days worth of food. I tend to varry my points as I was told is helps with your weightloss. For instance calorie shifting but maybe I am not doing that correctly because I know if I ate exactly 25points every day my body would get used to it and wouldn't lose the weight.

Friday:
    Breakfast: Sandwhich Thin 2 (2pts)
    Peanutbutter 15g which is 1tbsp (2pts)
    Honey 1tbsp (1pt)
    Bannana I weighted it and it was 67calories, 0.67fat, 1.32fiber (1pt)
    Total: 6pts

Lunch: Chex Mix 1cup (4pts)
    I had a very busy day at work and that is all I had time to eat.
    Total: 4pts

Dinner: Chicken Bowtie Pasta Alfedo with Pine Nuts Homemade
    Chicken 3oz. (3pts)
    Pasta Yellow Box Berilla Whole Wheat One Serving (4pts)
    Pine Nuts Total of 1/2cup in Dish and it made 7 servings so I gave it (1pt)
    Alfredo 2 Jars Classico Roasted Garlic which is 70 cal, 6 fat, 0 fib, (4pt)
    Total: 12pts

Snack: WW Fudge Bar (1pt)
    Total: 1pt

Total For Day: 23pts

Saturday:
    Breakfast: Fiber 1 Yogurt 50cal, 5fiber (0pts)
    South Beach Smores Bar (2pts)
    Total: 2pts

Lunch: Left Overs From Last Nights Dinner of Chicken Pasta Bowtie Alfredo
    (12pts)
    Total: 12pts

Dinner: Quaker Steak and Lube
    Whole Wheat Grilled Chicken wrap with carrots, celery, and ranch
    I gave it (8pts)
    5 Onion Rings (7pts)
    Total: 15pts

Total For Day: 29pts

Sunday:
    Breakfast: Fiber 1 Yogurt (0pts)
    Total: 0pts

Lunch: Chex Mix 1cup (4pts)
    Smart Ones Meal (5pts)

Dinner: Subway 12"
    New Buffalo Chicken Sandwhich no cheese, light ranch (14pts)

Snack: Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Grande Frap. Light Blended Coffee (2pts)

Total For Day: 25pts

So there is three days worth of things. That was over the weekend so that was definitely not my best days worth of eating but it is my most recent so I figured I would put it up there. If you could put an example of what I could eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack to use and varry my points that would be greatly appreciated. I don't tend to eat meat I only eat chicken and fish so I think that can benefit me. Any help at all would be great.

Thank you so much!
    Started WW 10/8/09
    SW: 186/CW: 181.5/GW: 135
    Taking it one day at a time!

10. Default Re: New to Weight Watchers and Need Help!

I think it's very important to use all of your points as a minimum. Never ever go below your daily points, and do your best to use all of the weeklys as well. You said it's hard to get in the milk & oils, yet you're not using all your points. That seems to be an obvious solution -- add your milk & oils and it will use more points. Kills two birds with one stone.

A lot of newcomers tend to think like dieters. We're not dieting - we're living. It's not about eating as little as possible. It's about eating the right things in the right amounts (and occasionally the wrong things in the right amounts).
    FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

Replies

You might want to keep and eye on salt intake, too.
    CW

12. Default Re: New to Weight Watchers and Need Help!

Hi Blonde,

I rarely post on the main board but not many people are jumping in and I'm kind of sad that the old BCB Spirit seems to have deserted us a little.

My first reaction to your food is that I don't know what some of it is because it's branded and we don't have those brands here. While it may be labelled healthy, it's probably got added stuff too which may be hanging up your weight loss.

Just for a week, try to eat Simply Filling foods but count points too. Go to the Simply Filling board for ideas. It does take more work - a real shift of routine - but it will be worth it for your overall health and probably your budget and weight loss too.

I don't mean for this to be permanent, but just for a week or two see what getting rid of all the additives does for your body.

Good luck!

Millie

Blog - Talking It Off - encouragement for battle weary weight watchers

-still keeping a promise to myself

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by millieagain View Post
    I rarely post on the main board but not many people are jumping in and I'm kind of sad that the old BCB Spirit seems to have deserted us a little.
    I got your spirit right here.....
    CW

Replies
    Blog Entries

Hi, I can understand yiour frustration too, when you are trying and not seeing results, but hang in there, it will work.

I am not seeing fruits and vegetables. You should be having at least 5 servings (combined) a day. So my first step would be to concentrate on that. Also where are the 2 tsp oil? I was stuck and a buddy noticed me lacking oils, my losses have stepped up since then. And then lastly, not seeing dairy. The requirement is 2 servings a day (3 if over 50) and those need to be worked in. And do a water check too. Water can help with the fullness feeling, flushes us out and just helps in a million ways.

So pick something, focus on it this week, but notice everything and then just making sure you aim for your 9 healthy guidelines. Threre is a learning curve so be kind to yourself and you will have great success. Good luck!
    Sandy
    Joined WW 02/02/02
    Lifetime 04/05/03
    sw 165.4 cw 165.4 gw ??

Little by little, one travels far.....J.R.R. Tolkien

15. Default Re: New to Weight Watchers and Need Help!

I wasn't including you in that CW! You've got shed-loads of BCB spirit.

I think I was just having a nostalgic moment for the days when these boards were buzzing.

Blond - How's it all going? Keep us posted.

Millie

Blog - Talking It Off - encouragement for battle weary weight watchers

-still keeping a promise to myself

Hi Everyone!

Well The other night I made sure to get all of my fruits and veggies for the day and I most definite did! I had 2 cups mushrooms and onions with 1 tsp olive oil sautated it was delish! I also had 1 cup of green beans with some sliced almonds and that was all included in my dinner. During lunch I had a whole wheat wrap with honey turkey and a whole gala apple sliced in it. Oh and for breakfast I had a sandwhich thin (which is like a whole wheat piece of super thin toast without all of the extra bread stuff its 100 cal and 5g for 2 thin pieces which is one sandwhich thin) with 1tbsp of peanutbutter, a banana, and 1tbsp drizzle of honey. I stayed within my points that day, had a few other things including a yogurt, and a yoplait smoothie (their new and delishious only 2 points and a full serving of fruit and dairy!!)

I think it was a good day we shall see how the week goes my week end next thursday the 5th. I keep you updated along the way!

Thanks for all the input!
    Started WW 10/8/09

Replies
    Blog Entries

Great job changing up that menu. It all sounded so good. Keep up the great work! I really like the sandwich thins too. I am having one right now w/ chopped spinach and hardboiled egg. Yumm. Let us know how your weigh in goes.
    Sandy
    Joined WW 02/02/02
    Lifetime 04/05/03
    sw 165.4 cw 165.4 gw ??

Little by little, one travels far.....J.R.R. Tolkien

Well I weighted on Thursday and lost 3.5 pounds which I am very happy with. I used almost all of my weekly points with maybe 3 or 4 left.

I started my week back up on thursday with the same rules in hopes of getting the same results. The only problem is that yesterday (friday) I had to use about 24 of my weekly points due to a birthday dinner and not much to choose from so I totaled about 50 points for the day yesterday and i've never done that. I read that if I stay within my weekly total of (25x7+35=210) then I will still lose weight but I feel like I wont. Will someone please explain this to me and is there any way I can go a few points under today (saturday) to off set my body the huge amount of points I ate yesterday?

Thanks for the help!
    Started WW 10/8/09

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by iMbLoNdWuTcNiSaY View Post
    Will someone please explain this to me and is there any way I can go a few points under today (saturday) to off set my body the huge amount of points I ate yesterday?

Thanks for the help!
    Going under can be a bad as going over. One day is not horrible but to get into the mindset that you can overeat then fast is not a lifestyle choice. That is a diet mindset.

If you under eat your body will tend to hold water and store the calories that you do eat and you may not see the drop at the scale anyway.

On the day after a high point day It may be better to eat at target and get extra water and exercise. That is a much more positive way of getting right again.
    CW