Thread: Travel experiences on SiFi

Replies

Default Travel experiences on SiFi

This is a place to share yours!

I am going to just get this started and promise I'll be back later. I've been doing so much traveling lately and take all the prep etc. for granted, but there are plenty of newbies here! SO, share how you make traveling/eating out work on SiFi!!!

Back later!

Replies

Default Re: Travel experiences on SiFi

Early on when I had lost 55 lbs we went on a 2 week vacation. One week touring one week cruising Alaska. First vacation in 20 years. So we ate out every meal for two weeks. It was tough because the food looked so good.
    BUT I decided to take pride in what I was NOT eating. Over the two weeks my son and I each lost 4 lbs. That was amazing considering the food we turned down.
    We did not starve but there were plenty of Si Fi choices all over the place.
    Peg

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

3. Default Re: Travel experiences on SiFi

The first thing I would say is that if you are going on vacation, don't deprive yourself!! BUT, DECIDE WHAT SPECIAL FOODS ARE MOST IMPORTANT, DECIDE HOW YOU CAN HAVE THEM IN SMALL AMOUNTS THAT WILL STILL SATISFY, AND PLAN AND COUNT THE POINTS (assuming they are not SiFi special foods!!)

I went to Switzerland two months after I started WW. I had cheese and chocolate, but not at every meal (not every day!!) and not all the time. I would plan a small amount every other day or so. Then I had a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit!! I had other special things I wouldn't ordinarily eat, but I had them in small quantities. Also, when I'm on vacation I tend to be very active ALL DAY LONG (more active than I am on normal work days when I sit in an office and only really exercise before or after work). So I build up AP points (although I have to say, I never really keep track of them). I continued to lose weight on the Switzerland trip.

When we take a road trip, I often resort to sandwiches w/ ww bread so we are not counting points for whatever filling I use, but we count points for the bread. Often we don't stop to eat, so it is easy to eat a sandwich with one hand on the wheel while driving. When we actually stop to eat foods I've brought, we have whole grain salads, tossed salads, soup out of the thermos, cold barbecued chicken, bean salad, much the same stuff we have at home. We always have fruit and water aboard.

The important thing is to enjoy your travel, and you can do that while sticking with the plan. You can have anything on this plan (technique) as long as you plan for it! Did I say the word "plan" enough??!! Be well.
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Replies

I find it much less challenging to eat out on Core than on Flex (or whatever it's called now.) I can find something eat almost anywhere (even ball parks have veggie burgers now).

I stick with grilled meat, baked potatoes, veggies without butter/oil, and skip the bread. Well ok, sometimes I have the bread, but it's easy to count points for since all that other good stuff is Core.

Breakfast is, hands down, my favorite meal to eat out. Poached eggs don't require oil to make. Add some canadian bacon or ham on the side. I usually count some points for an english muffin or toast. Or, almost every diner I've ever been to has oatmeal or hot cereal.

I'll be traveling next weekend so remind me to re-read this before I head out to Philly. Sometimes I struggle there. There is nothing Core about a cheesesteak, but blowing all 35 pts on 1/2 of one is way worth it.
    Original SW: 149
    New SW (11/8/10): 138
    CW: 132
    GW: 125

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

Replies

I have certain things I tend to make for trips: roasted chickpeas (I sometimes roast TWO POUNDS!), granola, and sometimes oat bars and/or baked oatmeal. I bring apples, sometimes pears and bananas. Sometimes I bring baby carrots. Depends on refrigeration/season, whether or not I have a cooler. Sometimes I bring entrees that are good hot or cold, like curried veggies/legumes and a grain. I LOVE to get a room with a fridge and microwave. I bring microwave popcorn.

I often food shop when traveling to stock my fridge (which I don't necessarily know if I'm going to have). I get milk, sometimes yogurt, carrots etc. (if I didn't already bring them).

I also bring tea bags and "to go" drink mixes, and mugs/water bottles.

At hotel breakfasts you can often get plain oatmeal (sometimes I have to ask), skim milk, hard boiled eggs, fruit.

Bringing all this food, I spend very little on food when traveling. I mean when in transit especially. I don't buy food at service plazas etc, just eat my own!

I don't find eating out in restaurants that challenging either. Just have some input into where you eat, ask questions and ask for what you want!

Oh, I also bring things along for exercising. I don't worry about whether or not I will use it ALL, I like having OPTIONS. I brought weights and resistance bands, among other things, on my last trip. I usually bring running clothes and a bathing suit too, and my HRM.

Replies

I'm bumping this up due to the question raised by Katlee on the newbies/lurkers thread!

Buddies, please feel free to add to this!

Bump. I'd like to see what some other people do for traveling on SiFi. Especially for trips (like business) where taking food is not an option, and eating out alot is.
    206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

Replies

Hmm, I'm curious about the idea that taking food isn't an option. I think you can almost always take SOME food. Like roasted edamame or roasted chickpeas or SiFi granola. Those things don't take up much space OR require refrigeration. Taking Crystal Lite to go packets is always a good option too.

What exactly do you see as the challenges of business travel? If you are just specifically asking about eating out, that is one specific aspect and it might be good to ask about it directly.

What I'm saying is that it might help us answer your specific question if you let us know what exactly you find to be challenging about the kind of travel you do. What are the specific obstacles you're having trouble with?

When I travel for work I bring food and do all the things I already said....

9. Default Re: Travel experiences on SiFi

I can't speak for goddessRu, but I know there are plenty of business lunches/dinners where taking your own food is simply not acceptable. When this happens, I find that GB is right and grilled meat of some sort (if steak, ask to hold the butter - often they "finish" a grilled steak with melted butter on top), veggies without butter and a baked potato. I have always been able to get some permutation of this. Even if no baked potato was available, I could get no potato (say, if it were mashed or fries) and get extra of whatever the other veggie was. Salads with oil & vinegar have saved me many times.
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Replies

I didn't mean taking food to a MEAL, I meant taking it on the TRIP. I certainly have the experience of not bringing my own food to a business lunch at which point you make the best choices you can, perhaps relying on portion control, and counting the points. You can always eat a tiny meal and supplement before or after with food you bring!

I had a business lunch last month that was pasta with cheese, lasagna, buttery zucchini and salad (with ceasar dressing) and then even WORSE choices. I just ate a lot of salad without dressing, zucchini and just a little pasta. And counting points for all the fat on the zucchini. But I had food back in my room too, so I was fine.

When attending conferences, I always check one of the "special dietary consideration" boxes when I submit the registration form (such as low-sodium or kosher). This gets me out of the institutional banquet meal that is being served that usually has tons of stuff ladled all over it. What often happens is that I end up getting LOTS of vegetables being served to me to make up for the extra expense that these special meals cost to make up.

Back in the days when they used to serve meals on planes, my assistant thought I ate kosher (not sure why...but that is a different story) and requested a kosher meal for me. My kosher meal was sooooo much better for me than the stuff the other passengers had to endure.

And that is when the light-bulb went off about ordering "special dietary consideration meals."
    Note: I follow the Winning Points program