Thread: breakfast for a king, lunch for a prince, dinner for a peasant

starbrite Guest

Default breakfast for a king, lunch for a prince, dinner for a peasant

I heard this saying recently,
    "breakfast is for a king" "lunch is for a prince" "dinner is for a peasant"

I thought this was very neat. usually i eat a big dinner, and a very small breakfast and lunch. i think this explains why i am always snacking all day and hungry. i thought htis kept my metabolism up but really i probably eat more than i need to.

It makes sense also bc when i eat a big dinner , I go to sleep a few hours later, and i am so stuffed.

I think i will start incorporating this theory. my daily points value is 24. I think I will start making breakfast ~10 points. maybe put what i plan on eating for dinner at lunch time, and make dinner a small soup/salad.

I would love to hear how you all portion your meals. Which one is the biggest? are they all small and you eat 5-6 meals?

One thing that makes me wonder though is, when I read "celebrity diets" and all that rag, it says that they have a salad for lunch usually. isn't that not filling enough? doesn't it throw my new found theory off?

Also, i am going to be sitting from 8am-10 pm studying. I will break in the middle for an hour of walking my dog, and half an hour of working out. I am wondering if having a big breakfast might make me sleepy?

mom2twingems Guest

Default Re: breakfast for a king, lunch for a prince, dinner for a peasant

I have heard this also, I eat on my way to work so I usually have a 3-5 point breakfast. I get 33 points a day. I am a teacher so I dont have to worry about the office temptation. I do eat a fruit at recess, I have only 40 min for lunch usually with so much work to do my lunch is usually 7-9 points. It I eat to much I am too tired for the after noon. then I usually have another fruit right after school. When I get home I have something small like a 3 point sandwich or a 2 points soup. Then dinner is usually after 630ish depending on the day and I usually have 10-15 points left. I eat a good dinner and maybe a dessert. dinner is my hardest time becasue I am so hungry but now that I break it up I dont overdo dinner. If I go to the gym I eat a bigger snack when I get home and head to the gym between 6 and 7pm.

I couldnt eat a big breakfast, I tend to save my points becasue I dont know what it will be like when I get home. When I eat too much at work I get tired in the afternoon. Maybe during spring break Ill try something else.

Replies

I am definitely a big breakfast person. I am ravenous in the morning, and I find that if I eat a nutritious, filling breakfast, I rarely get hungry until going on 2:00 in the afternoon (no kidding).

I eat nearly the same breakfast every morning (the only thing that really changes is the fruit I use):

* 1 cup Cooked oats (old-fashioned Quaker Oats - cook 5 minutes in the microwave - I mix 1/2 cup dry oats with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup skim milk) - 3 pts
    * Stir in 2 tsp Flaxseed oil (2 pts)
    * 1/2 to 1cup of fresh fruit, a sliced banana, or 1/4 cup raisins (1-2 pts)
    * Top with LOTS of Splenda (I have a wicked sweet tooth) and
    * 1 Tbsp REAL maple syrup (1 Pt)

This is either 8 or 9 pts, depending on how much fruit I add, or if I make it will a whole cup of milk. It's VERY filling.

- Jennifer

PS I'm a teacher, too, but it really doesn't take much time in the morning to do....
    ACE-certified Personal Trainer
    & WW Lifetime Member

starbrite Guest

mom2twingems-cute name! i have the same mentality as you lol. i try to have a small breakfast, bc i know i will be starving the rest of the day. i feel so mad at myself when I have a big point breakfast, when I could have saved those points and had a yummier dinner lol. thanks so much for breaking down your days in points for me.
    one thing i tried is... break a snack in half. half before the workout, half right after. this way i don't run to the fridge after my workout, and eat the first thing i see. (omg i used to do this back in the day-i would waste my calories burnt by having something super unhealthy). the drives after work are the worst, i started stocking 100 calorie products, so i can have my junk food and be on points too.

Jennifer M-thanks for your post. You are def on the right path, but i remember you saying you are a personal trainer-so ofcourse you are! lol. i am going to start trying to have a big breakfast. I remember breakfast commercials back in the day having a child eating cereal,toast,orange juice and maybe a muffin. I was at how they could eat so much.
    I grew up eating a tiny slice of toast and running out the door. So I am going to start trying this out.

Replies

While I like a big breakfast, I'm sure it's not for everyone. Still, I think it's important that we do EAT breakfast. THe main thing is to find out when your "hungry" times of the day are and build your plan around that.

My brother-in-law NEVER eats breakfast. He says eating in the morning makes him nauseous, and he literally "can't stomach" anything until around 11am. This boggles my mind. But I guess it works for him.

Apart from "hungry times," the best way to eat is really to have a minimeal every 3 hours or so - basically to keep your metabolism fired up throughout the day. It's even better if you can incorporate some protein into each of those meals, though I confess it can be difficult to do so.

So, all this is to say that, while my big breakfast CAN keep me going until 1:30pm before I get hungry, I try not to wait that long - it's not really good for me to go that long without food. But my lunches are fairly minimal (Garden Veggie Soup with some Triscuits or some such). Then I'll have a snack at my "hungry time" around 3pm - some light popcorn, or a low-fat yogurt with fruit (this often coincides with when I get home from school)

Eggs are perfect breakfast food. They're loaded with protein, quick (even quicker than my oats), and if you add some fruit or mix in some frozen chopped veggies, you can incorporate those "filling foods" to get that full feeling.

- J
    ACE-certified Personal Trainer
    & WW Lifetime Member

I have a POINTS budget of 31 per day. On a typical day, I eat 5 to 8 times. Typically breakfast is 4-6 points, lunch 5-8, early dinner 5-8 and late dinner 4-6. The rest is filled with 1-3 point snacks. I'm single and live alone so I don't have to plan meals around other people's schedules.
    FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

starbrite Guest

thanks for posting. this is making me feel very relieved that there is no rules about this. this is what i LOVE about weight watchers. there are no rules about carbs, fat, sugar, no eating after 7 pm, etc.
    I love that it has reasonable guidelines.

JenniferM-I used to have that issue growing up. Up until a year ago I tried to avoid breakfast with all my might. I would have a few bites of toast, and have a stomachache all day . Even at lunchtime at school I ate a bite or two of a sandwich. My family always thought I was making it up.
    But I have a weird system, sort of like ibs-maybe your brother in law should check that out. *god forbid*

8. Default Re: breakfast for a king, lunch for a prince, dinner for a peasant

Its interesting reading what works for other people.. I have always been a believer in 5 mini-meals a day and try very hard to keep that going. I have 27 points a day so my Breakfasts is typically 3-4 points as I like to alternate between an english muffin with some peanut butter, oatmeal or eggs always with some fruit addition, a 2pt mid morning snack - usually fruit again and lunches is where I have to start my control. I usually eat a 4-5 pt lunch because I am a mid afternoon snacker even with my 2-3pm snack..
    I prefer small dinners since I work out around 8pm every night after the kids crash.
    212/182/155/161/
    HW/SW/Goal/CW/
    Lifetime Reached 4/24/07

Been up and down since 2007- focusing back on the DOWN as my new personal goal is 155.... Rejoined Dec 6, 2010

starbrite Guest

JoanneNC- that is a smart plan. Do you eat 5 meals as part of your routine, regardless if you are hungry or not? I am trying to do this, but if the meal is too big for me (ie a bagel), i eat half first, then an hour later eat the other half. I think this will spike my metabolism

10. Default Re: breakfast for a king, lunch for a prince, dinner for a peasant

Quote Originally Posted by starbrite View Post
    JoanneNC- that is a smart plan. Do you eat 5 meals as part of your routine, regardless if you are hungry or not? I am trying to do this, but if the meal is too big for me (ie a bagel), i eat half first, then an hour later eat the other half. I think this will spike my metabolism

I do try and stay on track to eat every 2-3 hours or so. I never eat beyond the feeling full and then I just adjust my next day's menu to only plan for that 1/2 bagel at meal 1.
    It's tough finding the right combination of foods that will keep me full.
    212/182/155/161/
    HW/SW/Goal/CW/
    Lifetime Reached 4/24/07

Been up and down since 2007- focusing back on the DOWN as my new personal goal is 155.... Rejoined Dec 6, 2010

starbrite Guest

JoanneNC-what if your not hungry but your supposed to eat? do you still eat something-but less than normal? or do you miss that snack time?

12. Default Re: breakfast for a king, lunch for a prince, dinner for a peasant

I try very hard not to skip a meal - because then I am just hungrier and eat more on my next one - it does take some conditioning in the beginning and making sure that for me, my meals are balanced. I just don't like that stuffed feeling so 5 smaller almost equal sized/point meals works for me
    212/182/155/161/
    HW/SW/Goal/CW/
    Lifetime Reached 4/24/07

I get 32 points a day, and I probably use half of them between breakfast and when I leave the office at 4:30pm, and then then other half in the evening. I always eat breakfast and lunch (probably between 4-6 points each), one or two 1-2 point snacks, and if points are available, a latte. I enjoy eating larger meals, or eating out and eating higher-point choices, and/or snacking in the evening, so if I ate a very small dinner I would just set myself up for failure. This seems to work for me.
    * Sue *
    High weight: 295 (8/06)
    WW re-start weight: 285.2 (10/21/08)
    Current weight/goal:

I believe the best way to eat that is most conducive to weight loss is to eat small meals spread throughout the day. Your body releases insulin to burn the food that you eat. When your body is using insulin it is not burning fat. The larger the meal you eat the more insulin the longer it will be until you burn fat.

The smaller the meal the less insulin and your eating is actually encouraging fat burning.

Eating like this also helps to shrink your stomach and will help you feel full sooner. In the beginning eating like this is a pain in the **** but once you figure it out it's actually quite nice. You never go very long between meals.
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log