Thread: Crock Pot HELP

Replies

Default Crock Pot HELP

Over the summer I froze some steak tips in marinade, usually I pull em out and throw em on the grill. Now that it is cold out, I was wondering, can I just throw the meat in the crock with the marinade? Has anyone done this?

TryingWW Guest

Default Re: Crock Pot HELP

You can but don't expect fantastic results. The steak will be edible. The slow cooker will braise the beef making it fantastic for tough cuts of meat. It does not do justice to the more tender (expensive) cuts and it actually can make them a bit tough. So if you have a good cut of steak, you may want to broil in the oven or quickly sear on the stove instead of using the crockpot. If it was just an OK steak to start with pop it into the crockpot with the marinade. What was in the marinade? If it was a lot of citrus or other acidic ingreds, it may make the meat mushy.

trying ww had some great points. I love cooking with the crockpot. I always said you could cook some carboard and rocks in there with a couple cans of low fat cream of something soup and it would be tender in 10 hours.

As was stated the crock is best for cheap meat. It can turn a tough piece of meat into super tender meat. I usually buy cheap lean steaks or my favorite is Rump roast. I use it for all kinds of stuff. I cut off the fat and make steaks with it or cut it into chunks depending on what I am cooking. My wife is great about finding it on sale for less than 3.00 a pound and its great for lots of things.

Anyway back to what you were asking. When you use the crock depending on size you usually need it at least 2/3 full for it to heat correctly and not burn items. One thing with marinade is that it normally cooks a lot off on the grill. So its not to strong. Using it strait in the crock may make it very strong it could also change the flavor greatly having the marinade actually cook and blend.

Best of luck.
    Blake
    MO Platoon Member #711
    SW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 | GW -179.0 ##/##/## | LT - 10/06/07| CW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 - +0.0# | Current Loss - 0.0#

Replies

Thanks for the help! I am a crockpot newbie, and so far we love the "to die for roast" I already tossed the marinated steak in this morning, so I dont have high expectations, the back up plan is grilled cheese.

Tomorrow we are going to have an ice storm so i am trying another crock recipe. Lets just hope the power stays on this time!

Replies

With that meat you would probably have been better off using a grill pan or a George FOreman grill if you have one. The meat would be better in the crockpot if you had some veggies in with it.
    ~~~Aimee~~~

Started WW on 1/16/08 and took time off to have a baby in 2010
    SW 285.6/Lowest weight 230.4/CW 255.4/Next goal 230
    "If I was smarter than the program, I wouldn't need the program" ~CW
    "Don't stuff your face, face your stuff!" ~Amy, the best leader EVER!

The crockpot is great. My wife is 7 months pregnant with a 20 month old to chase around. We have used our Crockpots endlessly since she got pregnant the first time. Very easy just toss the ingredients in and wait. I love coming home and smelling the aroma through the whole house. So many things you can do with it the crock pot.

I just found this site a couple days ago. Lots of ideas. These are not WW recipes but there are some great ideas to modify and work with. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ My wife has the Salsa chicken Black Bean soup going right now for dinner.

Also its a good idea to invest in a couple diffrent sizes if you use them a lot. We have a 5qt, 3qt and 2.5qt.
    Blake
    MO Platoon Member #711
    SW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 | GW -179.0 ##/##/## | LT - 10/06/07| CW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 - +0.0# | Current Loss - 0.0#