Thread: Eggs and Oats

Default Eggs and Oats

Please forgive my ignorance, but am I missing something here?

I love eggs, and I also love oats, and sometime even eat them at the same sitting. But is there some secret recipe I haven't heard of that combines the two?

I'm trying to picture myself whisking raw eggs into my oatmeal while it cooks and ending up with oatmeal with little egg strands like in fried rice or something. And if it's not that, maybe I just invented a new recipe!

Please fill me in. I feel a little crazy for even asking, but then again I'm generally a little crazy anyway...

-Dan
    MO Platoon Member #326
    SW: 358.5 (02-18-08)
    CW: 326.3 (04-06-09)
    GW: 185.0

Default Re: Eggs and Oats

You could try baked oatmeal on the the recipe forum. I don't have the recipe at my fingertips or would post it here. Sorry. It also has fruit in it but if you don't like fruit suppose you could forego that ingredient.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

Replies

I have never heard of cooking them together but I eat a lot of both separately these days
    I can't fail if I don't quit
    Platoon member #63
    SW: 318.2 (10-14-08)
    CW: 259.8
    GW: 225

Replies

I believe he eats eggs and oats separately
    If he doesn't it sounds like one nasty meal

Hot cooked oatmeal + some raw eggs...I think you'd come out with a creamier oatmeal. Sounds yummy! if that's appealing to you, just cook your oatmeal first and then add the egg afterwards, stirring until it's all mixed.

For best tasting use 2 dishes.

Fry up the eggs in a frying pan. I prefer over easy. Place on plate.

Cook oatmeal in a bowl.

If you eat the eggs first the oatmeal is just cool enough to eat. I just eat it everyday or almost everyday so I started to just abbreviate it to "eggs and oats".
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

Replies

I prefer the slow cook oats, it's chewier, and never instant oatmeal, too mushy. There's the standard old-fashioned oats which takes 5 mins to cook and there's the whole kernel oats that takes 30 minutes. You've got to get up early to have an extra half hour for the oats to cook. Eggs I like fried or scrambled but most of the time it's egg beaters, less cholesterol. This morning it was an egg beater & cheese omelet.
    Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire
    visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Replies

This is a favorite at our house, even the "non-weight watchers" love it. We even have it for dessert sometimes. Make it ahead and just heat up or eat it cold.

Oatmeal Creme Brulee

Serving Size : 8

2 cups quick oats -- or 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked
    1/3 cup granulated sugar (replace with Splenda)
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
    3 1/3 cups nonfat milk [soymilk works well -- too]
    2 eggs -- or 1/3 cup egg substitute, lightly beaten
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar ( good with or without brown sugar)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch-square glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In large bowl, combine oats, granulated sugar and salt.

In medium bowl, combine milk, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add to oat mixture; mix well. Pour into baking dish. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until center jiggles slightly. Removed from oven to cooling rack.

Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over top of oatmeal. Using back of spoon, gently spread sugar into a thin layer across entire surface of oatmeal. Return to oven; bake just until sugar melts, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set oven to broil. Broil 3 inches from heat until sugar bubbles and browns slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. (Watch carefully to prevent burning. It may be necessary to turn baking dish.) Spoon into bowls to serve.

Source: "Gourmet/October 2004"

Note: Recipe is easy to "halve", which I did, and cooked for about 35 minutes in a 1-quart baking dish.

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

Replies

Linda,
    Whoa girl! Way too complicated. You're talking to a men's board here. Break it down to fewer steps.

Oats
    1) heat water
    2) dump in oats
    3) wait 5 mins
    4) eat

Eggs
    1) heat pan
    2) put in eggs (without shells)
    3) wait 5 mins
    4) eat

Steak
    1) heat George Forman, the grill that is
    2) put on steak
    3) wait 5 mins
    4) eat

Chicken Marsala
    1) heat car
    2) put on coat
    3) drive to restaurant
    4) eat

Quote Originally Posted by SumoRunner View Post
    Linda,
    Whoa girl! Way too complicated. You're talking to a men's board here. Break it down to fewer steps.

Oats
    1) heat water
    2) dump in oats
    3) wait 5 mins
    4) eat

Eggs
    1) heat pan
    2) put in eggs (without shells)
    3) wait 5 mins
    4) eat

Steak
    1) heat George Forman, the grill that is
    2) put on steak
    3) wait 5 mins
    4) eat

Chicken Marsala
    1) heat car
    2) put on coat
    3) drive to restaurant
    4) eat
    My dad always said, "If you can read, you can cook!", but I like your way better, Jack! (Especially the Chicken Marsala!)
    Pugdad Michael

65 pounds lost! GOAL!!!
    MO Platoon Member #784

My Before & After Pix!
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=194025

11. Default Re: Eggs and Oats

Quote Originally Posted by SumoRunner View Post
    Don't listen to him, Linda! Some of us are aspiring at-home chefs who love recipe ideas with more than one ingredient.
    FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

Replies

Talking Re: Eggs and Oats

Reminds me of:

I read recipes the way I read science fiction...at the end I think, "That's never going to happen"!

Here's a recipe where you stir an egg into Cream Of Wheat and get pudding.

This is simple, delicious, and filling!

Cream of Wheat Pudding (Core)
    POINTSŪ value | 4
    Servings | 1

breakfast | This recipe is Core; only count points if on the Flex plan. It's breakfast or a dessert - you decide. Optional: top with fresh or thawed frozen fruit (no sugar) or chocolate/butterscotch chips (count WPA/APs). . . .

Ingredients

3 Tbsp Nabisco Cream Of Wheat, 2 1/2 Minute
    1 cup fat-free skim milk
    1 egg
    1 packet McNeil Nutritionals SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Spray small saucepan with cooking spray, add milk and heat until just about boiling. Be careful as it will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.
    2. Add cream of wheat and stir with a whisk for about 2 minutes.
    3. In a small separate bowl combine egg, vanilla, and splenda.
    4. Stirring rapidly to avoid "scrambled egg effect," add the egg mixture to the cream of wheat and cook for 1 minute longer or until thickened to your liking, and long enough for the egg to cook.

My feeling? Try your egg-and-oats "experiment". If you don't like it, you can probably find a dog who will...

(And I think it sounds kinda' good.)
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Wow - look what I started!

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

One of my breakfast faves is to make some multi-grain toast, fry some eggs with some water in the pan and a put a lid on it, which boils the water and poaches the topsides while the bottom is getting cooked, and then I eat the eggs over the toast, sopping up the yolk with it as I go.

For all you alternative-oatmeal fans, Trader Joe's sells steel-cut oats that are awesome. They come in frozen "pucks", which you stick in a bowl and nuke in the micro for a couple minutes. Way different texture. I think my wife loves 'em more than me because every time I buy some, they're all gone after I've only had 1 or 2.

Anyway, I sometimes also have just eggs, no toast. And oatmeal. In separate dishes.

But after hearing "eggs and oats" a lot, I had to wonder...
    Thanks all for the fun thread!

-Dan
    MO Platoon Member #326
    SW: 358.5 (02-18-08)
    CW: 326.3 (04-06-09)
    GW: 185.0

Sometimes, if I'm having rolled oats (meaning I have no time, therefore cooking them in the microwave), I add an egg white to the bowl (I add two for my husband).

Before stirring it into the oatmeal, I beat the white with the water I use in the oatmeal (and I add a little extra water to make up for the stickiness of the egg).

I also cook it about 30 sec longer (45sec to 1min longer for two whites). I like to see the oatmeal puff up for at least 10 - 15 seconds in the microwave. That way the oatmeal (and egg)'s cooked, but not dry.

It is definitely more filling this way, and really good if I need to use my brain a bit more (icy driving conditions) that morning.

Also, I add a tsp of oil or a few crushed walnuts and lots of cinnamon to my oatmeal; and apple, applesauce, banana, or mango. You can't beat sweetness/texture without them.
    Amy

SW
    WWG 130
    Ideal Range: 118-123
    CW 129.0
    Lifetime 3/1/07

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    Also, I add a tsp of oil or a few crushed walnuts and lots of cinnamon to my oatmeal; and apple, applesauce, banana, or mango.
    You forgot raisins and my new favorite in oatmeal is Craisins (dried cranberries).

Replies

Here is my very filling, delicious oatmeal recipe I make a lot. This is a 6 point breakfast unless you want to add milk (I stir in some of my cold 1% milk sometimes after it's cooked vs. drinking it):

In a bowl add:
    - 1 cup of Quaker oats (regular - not the quickie stuff)
    - cut up one Gala of Macintosh apple into small little pieces
    - sprinkle on cinamon (just the spice - not mixed w/ sugar)
    - add a couple teaspoons of splenda
    - stir and nuke for 4.5 minutes (I use a larger correll bowl) - you may want to stop and stir it once at about 3 minutes or so but not required.
    - let sit 3 or 4 minutes and eat - it's delicious and easy to make

My other favorite breakfast is 2 eggs over easy on 2 Thomas' whole grain lite english muffins (6 points total).
    Last edited by Big T; 12-10-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    I can't fail if I don't quit
    Platoon member #63
    SW: 318.2 (10-14-08)
    CW: 259.8
    GW: 225

T - sounds good. I too like my eggs along with the Thomas english muffins!

For my oatmeal, I generally use raisins and splenda brown, however I've also mixed in some regular splenda and a cut up banana.
    Clif #125
    SW 01/01/07 (235#) - LW 12/03/07 (165#) = 70# gone; CW = 171.6# (down 3.4 since 01/01)

"Some people go through life standing at the excuse counter. Get out of line. "

My Picture Show

Quote Originally Posted by hansolo View Post
    I love eggs, and I also love oats, and sometime even eat them at the same sitting. But is there some secret recipe I haven't heard of that combines the two?
    I have never made this recipe, but have it from a website I used to frequent:

Easy Egg and Oat One-Pan Breakfast
    Ingredients:
    • 2 eggs
    • 3/4 cup milk or yogurt
    • 1 cup oats
    • 1 small apple, diced
    • Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
    Directions:

Beat the eggs, stir in milk or yogurt. Add oats, apple, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cook like a pancake or scramble in oiled skillet.
    * Sue *
    High weight: 295 (8/06)
    WW re-start weight: 285.2 (10/21/08)
    Current weight/goal:

Padre,

How do you cook/eat your oats and eggs? What brand of oatmeal? I am rotten in the kitchen, so talk like to a 4 year old.

Also nutritionally what do you like about eggs and oats? Aren't eggs high in cholestoral?
    MO#83

I like the quaker old fashioned oats (the quick oats get too mushy). It's 1/2 cup of oats and 1 cup of water. Microwave for 2 minutes.

Basically nutritionally the oats are a slow burning whole grain carb for energy and the eggs are a good source of cheap protein. Eggs are high in cholesterol but I've never had a problem with cholesterol levels. I know red meats are supposed to increase your cholesterol but I'm not certain of the link between what we eat and our cholesterol levels. Seems like most of what I've read is that genetic factors determine much of our heart health. But I'm not a doctor so please don't take my word for it.

I only know that my levels haven't gone up after eating all those eggs.
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

I generally do the same as Nick with my oats, but yesterday I decided to combine my eggs and oats (along with some other stuff), and made some baked oatmeal - mmmmm.

With regards to eggs, I believe that the research that said that eggs were high in cholesterol and therefore not really good for you has been reversed. I've heard the same thing as Nick in that high cholesterol is not effected, as much, by what you eat than by who you are related to.
    Clif #125
    SW 01/01/07 (235#) - LW 12/03/07 (165#) = 70# gone; CW = 171.6# (down 3.4 since 01/01)

"Some people go through life standing at the excuse counter. Get out of line. "

My Picture Show