Thread: cake balls

tiamia76 Guest

Default cake balls

Hello!

First off, i have been lurking on this site FOREVER. Sorry to say i have had very little luck staying OP but this site always helps when i need to get back on it.

Anyway, Not sure if this has been posted before... I was just looking at all recipes.com. and saw a recipe for "cake balls" that i thought would be perfect to try using our diet soda cakes. the frosting part would be tricky, but i'm sure we can come up with a low point version. anyone have any homemade frostings we could use? Here's the recipe. have not clue what the points would be, guess it depends on how little or big your balls are!

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
    • 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
    • 1 (16 ounce) container prepared chocolate frosting
    • 1 (3 ounce) bar chocolate flavored confectioners coating

DIRECTIONS

1. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes. When cake is done, crumble while warm into a large bowl, and stir in the frosting until well blended.
    2. Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
    3. Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the chocolate cake mixture. Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set.
    I read that you should put the cake crumbs and frosting in the freezer for a while before trying to make balls, it helps keep them together. and then freeze them for a few hours after forming balls before dipping in chocolate.

can't wait to try these!

Default Re: cake balls

When I make these, I put the rolled balls into the freezer on a cookie sheet and let them set for about an hour before dipping. This keeps them from falling into the chocolate and also helps them set faster (dry) they are super good.
    Be your own best friend every day.