Thread: Pfeffernusse Cookies

TJBarb Guest

Default Pfeffernusse Cookies

Wondering if anyone has a recipe for these cookies and would know how many points and calories they have?? With Christmas coming I would love to make them!

Thanks!

Replies

Default Re: Pfeffernusse Cookies

Well, there is a great thread here:
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=49974
    with a ton of recipes.

Also, if you are low carbing it:
    http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes...-cookie12.html

And good ol' google:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...pe&btnG=Search

Just figure out the points of the ingredients and divide by the number of cookies you have.

I can't find anything "light"..

And I prefer mine with the powdered sugar coating like the ones my family used to send from Germany, not the ones with the hard crispy coating.
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Replies

These are the recipes from the links I posted. Google search is not included.

Pfeffernusse Cookies

When I was a kid, I came to really love Pfeffernusse Cookies (Pepper Cookies.) Well, these sweet, crunchy treats did not seem to be something that I'd ever be able to enjoy again while low carbing, but as I've gotten more bold in my experimenting, I've been able to duplicate the old taste and texture extremely well. See if you agree!

Ingredients:

* 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten flour
    * 1/2 cup oat flour
    * 1/2 cup whey protein powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon finely ground white or black pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground anise OR 1 1/2 teaspoons anise extract
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    * 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
    * 1/2 cup Diabetisweet
    * 1/2 cup Brown Sugar Twin
    * 1/3 cup Splenda
    * 1 Tablespoon molasses [optional]
    * 4 teaspoons liquid sweetener
    * 1 egg
    * 1 cup powdered (Steel's) Nature Sweet [optional]

Preheat oven to 350F.

Sift together flours, salt, pepper, anise, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice, cardamom, nutmeg, and cloves.

In a second bowl, beat together the butter, Diabetisweet, Brown Sugar Twin, Splenda, molasses, and liquid sweetener until light and fluffy. Add the egg, mixing well, and then mix in the flour mixture. The dough will be stiff and will come together best if you knead it manually.

Grease 2 baking sheets *lightly*. Snip off bits of dough to make 1 inch balls. Place balls onto baking sheet 2 inches apart. If you prefer crisp cookies, press dough balls flat (about 1/4 inch thick); if you prefer them soft, leave them as balls.

Bake in center of oven until starting to brown at edges. Don't overbake. Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly. Optionally, dust with powdered Steel's Nature Sweet while warm, then cool on racks. (I ALWAYS take this extra step as I adore the powdered "sugar" on them and they look more festive this way.) See our Product Review area at the site for info on where to buy Steel's Nature Sweet.

Makes about 2 dozen. Approximately 1.5 grams per cookie.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pfeffernusse

Recipe By :Martha Stewart Living, December 1993/January 1994
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies/Bars Ethnic
    Holiday

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup brown sugar
    8 tablespoons unsalted butter -- softened
    2 cups honey
    2 large eggs -- well beaten
    6 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground pepper -- freshly ground
    1 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1 teaspoon ground clove
    confectioners' sugar -- for coating

Cream together sugar, butter, and honey; beat in eggs. Sift together flour, baking soda, and spices. add to sugar-butter mixture. Cover bowl; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking sheet. Roll dough into walnut-size balls. Place on baking sheet; flattent o 1/4 inch thick with a floured flat-bottomed glass. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; coat with confectioners' sugar. Let cool on wire racks.

ICED SPICE NUTS
    Pastry
    1-1/8 pound (500g) plain flour
    3 level tsp (9 g) Oetker Baking Powder Backin
    11-1/2 oz (325 g) sugar
    1/2 bottle (1/2 tsp I think, they are very small bottles) Oetker Baking Essence, Lemon flavour
    2 good pinches each of:
    ground ginger
    ground cardamom
    ground cloves
    ground allspice
    ground white pepper
    1 slightly heaped tsp ground cinnamon
    2 eggs
    6 Tbsp milk or water
    1-3/4 oz (50 g) ground blanched almonds
    1-3/4 oz (50 g) candied lemon peel, very finely minced

Icing
    8 oz (225 g) icing sugar
    about 3 Tbsp hot water

For the biscuit mixture, mix and sieve together the flour and baking powder onto a pastry board or cool slab. Make a well in the centre and pour in the sugar, the flavourings and spices, eggs and liqui. Draw some of the flour from the sides of the well to combine with these to form a thickish paste. Add the almonds and the candied peel and cover the whole with more of the flour.

Starting from the middle, work all these ingredients quickly with the hands into a firm smooth paste. If it should stick add a little more flour.

Roll out the pastry 1/2 inch thick and cut out small round shapes diameter 1 inch with a pastry cutter. Lay on a greased baking sheet.

Oven: pre-heat for 5 minutes at very hot,
    bake at moderately hot.
    (the book is intended for gas cookers. Off to the preface... ah. "Hot" is 390-440F. "Moderately hot" is 340-390F. I expect preheating to 400F and reducing to 350F would accomplish the objective here.)

Baking time: about 15 minutes.

For the icing: sieve the icing sugar and blend with as much water as will give a good coating consistency. Coat the cooled spice nuts with this icing. If they are hard, leave them in the air for a few days, then store in an airtight tin.
    _________

Next, Helen Witty's Pfeffernusse from The Good Stuff Cookbook. If Mrs. Witty says a recipe is good, or the best, I am very inclined to believe her! This cookbook rocks; I have made SO many gift-type foodie items from it!

Also note her glazing method, which might even produce the glaze I'm seeking. Hm. May add these to MY list of projects this year.

PFEFFERNUSSE - SPICY CHRISTMAS COOKIES
    "Let us not count the Yuletides during which these "peppernuts", redolent of many spices (including pepper), have been made with pleasure at our house and consumed with good appetite. One of their many charms is keepability--I've stored samples for months, in the spirit of culinary inquiry, and found them as delicious afterwards as before. So, do-aheaders, take note: Pfeffernusse, unlike many holiday treats, needn't (shouldn't) be made at the last minute, and they're great for shipping, surviving without a crumble. Further note: This is a two-day (part-time) operation, as the shaped cookies must dry overnight before they are baked.

"The recipe is more or less the one published in Mrs. Witty's Home-Style Menu Cookbook. It has evolved a bit since then, as recipes will (I put in more pepper and anise and lemon than I used to) but the essential cookie is one that has been in the family for a long time."

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
    2-1/2 cups granulated sugar or half granulated and half (packed) light brown sugar
    5 large eggs
    1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 Tbsp ground cardamom (freshly home-ground is better than store-bought)
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    1-1/2 tsp anise seed, lightly crushed, ground in a spice mill, or left whole
    1 tsp coarsely ground fresh pepper, black or white
    1-1/2 Tbsp, packed, finely grated or minced lemon zest (outer peel only, no white pith)
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 to 3/4 cup natural almonds, toasted and chopped, or half almonds and half skinned hazelnuts
    3-1/2 oz candied citron, chopped
    3-1/2 oz candied orange peel, chopped, or use half orange peel and half candied lemon peel

Glaze
    2 Tbsp hot milk mixed with 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar

1. Cream the shortening in the large bowl of an electric mixere, then gradually beat in the sugar; beat until very fluffy and smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, anise seed, pepper and lemon zest.

2. Sift together the flour, salt and soda into a medium bowl. Stir in nuts, citron and candied peel. Stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Budle the dough onto a sheet of plastic, wrap it, and refrigerate until it is stiff, which will take an hour or two. (It may be left overnight if that's more convenient.)

3. Prepare several baking sheets by spraying them with pan coating or greasing and dusting them with flour. If you don't have enough pans to accommodate all the cookies, lay out sheets of foil and pan-coat (or grease and flour) them.

4. Shaping the cookies: This may be done with lightly floured hands or lightly moistened hands -- try both ways and see which works better for your dough. Shape the dough into 3/4" egg shapes (tall rather than round) and stand them on end on the prepared pans, leaving 1-1/2 inches between cookies. When your pans are full, place cookies on the prepared foil in the same fashion. Leave the cookies uncovered at room temperature overnight to let the outsides dry (this leads to the attractive crackled finish that develops in the oven).

5. Preheat the oven to 350F, with a shelf in the upper third and another in the lower. While the oven heats, prepare the glaze and brush each cookie lightly with it.

6. Bake the cookies in two pans at a time for about 12 to 15 minutes, exchanging shelf positions midway. They are done when the surface has crackled and browned lightly.

7. Cool on wire racks, or loosen the cookies with a spatula and let them cool on the pans. Slip the foil sheets of cookies onto completely cooled pans and bake them when their turn comes; they may require an extra minute or two because of the insulation provided by the foil.

8. Store the peppernuts at room temperature in an airtight canister. They really come into their own in terms of flavor after mellowing for a few days, but they are edible (although hard) when fresh from the oven.

Makes 10 to 12 dozen, depending on size.

Anise Pillows/pfefferneuse
    Yield: 60 servings
    1 2/3 c All-purpose flour
    1 1/2 ts Baking powder
    1/2 ts Lemon peel; grrated
    1/2 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Ground cinnamon
    1/4 ts Ground nutmeg
    1/8 ts Ground cloves
    1/8 ts White pepper
    1/3 c Margarine; softened
    1/2 c Sugar
    1 Egg
    1/2 c Milk
    1/2 c Walnuts; finely chop
    1/2 ts Anise seed
    Confectioner's sugar

In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, lemon peel, salt, spices and pepper; set aside. In large bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until creamy; beat in egg. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts and anise seed. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls, 2" apart, on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350'F. for 15-17 minutes. Cool slightly on wire racks.Roll in confectioners' sugar while still warm; cool completely. Makes 5 dozen cookies.

notes: I tripled all the spices, used butter instead of margarine, and used almonds instead of walnuts. Like CR, I ended up rolling these in my hands rather than dropping by the teaspoon. I also went too large and ended up with only 36 cookies. It was a very easy recipe to follow.
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

I love these cookies..but I don't make them. I buy them at Trader Joes (2 points per cookie)
    Be your own best friend every day.