Thread: Roasted Chickpeas

Replies

Default Roasted Chickpeas

I just made these. They are AWESOME. I used a whole 1 pound bag of chickpeas because I expected they would be. Obviously, I am not going to eat a whole pound of chickpeas any time soon.

So my question is, has anyone else every made these and what do you do with the leftovers? Do they need to be refrigerated? I didn't use any perishable ingredients, just the beans and salt and garlic powder and cooking spray. I don't want them to go bad, so I'll put them in the fridge if I must, but I was just curious to see how others stored them.
    Started Core 8/19/08
    10% - 11/08/08
    Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

1 Cor. 6:12-20:
    All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by ANYTHING! I am bought with a price, and I will start acting like it.

Replies

Default Re: Roasted Chickpeas

I made these last week, however I used the canned chick peas and rinsed them. Not sure if I cooked them too long, but some of them could break my teeth they are so hard!
    Were the ones you used hard to begin with? Can you share how you cooked them?
    Kay

HW- 192
    SW- 164 4-14-08
    LW- 149 7-30-08
    CW- 161.6
    Personal Goal- 135

Replies

They shouldn't need to be refrigerated. As long as you really roasted them thoroughly so that they are crispy/dry versus still like regular chickpeas.

I have managed to get mine nicely roasted lately. I think the trick for me has been leaving them in the oven after they are done...like overnight...it has helped get them thoroughly crispy.

As for breaking your teeth on them. It seems that the undercooked ones (undercooked to start with) are more likely to turn rock hard. SO I'm surprised canned ones would do that...I suppose overroasting might also make that happen.

It is good to shake the pan around a few times while roasting to get them more uniformly crispy.

I've not tried doing this. How long and what temp do you roast them?
    Sarah

196.8/173/150/140
    Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.
    5-9-08 Began Core
    10-25-08-Made goal
    12-4-08-Made Lifetime
    11-29-09-Starting again

Replies

I discovered a long time ago that I do not like canned beans of any kind. They are in this weird starchy liquid, and no matter how much I rinse them, they still have this strange aftertaste. So I use dried beans in the bag. The way I did them, they were crunchy but also still chewy...kind of the consistency of a sunflower seed though obviously larger. Maybe like the consistency of the peanuts you get in a can, I don't know.

I took the 1 lb. bag of dried chickpeas and put them in 2 quarts (8 cups) of water. I brought them to a boil and let them boil for a few minutes. Then I turned the heat off, moved them to a cooler part of the stove, and covered them. I let them sit there for about an hour. I was originally going to do another boil to cook them (these are just the instructions for a soak), but then I tasted one and it seemed like a good consistency so I went ahead and roasted them. I put down aluminum foil, shiny side up, and sprayed it with cooking spray. I used one tsp of garlic salt and about 3/4 tsp of regular salt and roasted them at 350* for 30 minutes. They seemed done to me. Definitely not like regular chickpeas though. And as I mentioned, AWESOME.
    Started Core 8/19/08
    10% - 11/08/08
    Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by ANYTHING! I am bought with a price, and I will start acting like it.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by WWLifer View Post
    I've not tried doing this. How long and what temp do you roast them?
    Sarah, there is a recipe on the ww site. You might want to check that, because i am bad about time and temp stuff. I believe I do them at 350 and until they are done, around an hour?? You could do them at a lower temp for longer of course too. But that gives you some idea!

Replies

Lynn's right. There is a recipe on ww.com. It uses canned chickpeas, though, instead of dried like I did.

I did mine at 350* for only 30 minutes and they were done (I timed it) - but that was with soaked dry chickpeas instead of canned chickpeas. I'm sure there is a moisture difference between the two and that's why it didn't take me nearly as long as the directions stated.

Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I used salt on mine, and the ww.com recipe does not have any salt in it, just garlic powder and chili flakes.
    Started Core 8/19/08
    10% - 11/08/08
    Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

Replies

Lori- If you've got dry beans, I'd soak them overnight and then cook them for 2-3 hours the next day before roasting them. It does seem counter-productive to cook them in water just to dry them back out again but they need to be really soft or else they don't roast properly.
    Kimberley

Replies

I always do them from dry beans. You really want to cook them THOROUGHLY before roasting or you really will break your teeth!!

Replies

I already made these - yesterday morning. My question wasn't how to make them, but how to store them.

As far as how I made them, I used the quick soak instructions on the package of beans. I brought them to a boil for two or three minutes, then removed them from the stove eye and let them sit in the hot/warm water for an hour. After that, I roasted them at 350* for 30 minutes. They were pleasantly crunchy-chewy, like a roasted peanut, but certainly not tooth-breaking. To each her own, I suppose, but I was very pleased with the results.
    Started Core 8/19/08
    10% - 11/08/08
    Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

Replies

I'm sorry!
    Kimberley

Replies

Sorry for what? I hope it's not on my account. Like I said, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. It occurs that maybe I came across wrong, so please know there was no ill will meant. Wow, I just feel terrible because I can't. get. this. darn. keyboard. to say what I meant to type instead of what I actually did type.

Plus, honestly, chickpeas are an extremely silly thing to get offended by anyway ...so I just wanted to be clear that if you're apologizing to me, there's absolutely no need because I wasn't offended. At ALL, I promise. I'm happy as a clam...munching on the last of my chickpeas.

Yes, I ate almost all of them already. They are very munchable. Now if only I could do something about the, er, gas.

Be blessed!
    Started Core 8/19/08
    10% - 11/08/08
    Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

Replies

Lori- I apologized because I didn't read the start of the thread more closely. I skimmed through everything and added my $0.02 to a question that wasn't actually asked!!! LOL
    Kimberley

Replies

I just want to pop in and say that despite what a thread starts with it sometimes meanders a bit, and since the idea of cooking them from dry beans came up I mentioned what I did, about the need to make sure they're fully cooked--because people read the entire thread and get ideas from other posts farther down (in this case, tips on cooking dry beans). Meanwhile, I'm amazed that your chickpeas were fully cooked after what you did, Loribelle. The quick soak method you described is just the SOAK part (you can do a quick soak in the hot water or a long soak in cold/room temp water) THEN you have to actually COOK them (most of the time for chickpeas this take about an hour of simmering AFTER that soaking). So I'm surprised yours were fully cooked that way (using just the "quick soak" part!)!!

See, how good it is that our threads meander?

Replies

I usually do my chickpeas the same way as yours Loribelle. Even when I'm planning on eating them "wet" (as in, not dried) the quick soak usually cooks them enough...especially if boil for about 10 minutes and then leave them in the water for a while.

Lynn- I, too, love how the threads "wander." I end up learning a lot from reading all the unrelated info!

Kendra