Thread: Need Man-Power on WW. :)

Replies
    Blog Entries

Default Need Man-Power on WW. :)

I've posted before, but I'm stuck.

My husband is trying to do WW with me. He gets around 40 pts a day, he works outside M-W in the heat of Florida, sweats like crazy, and never seems to lose weight. Granted, he feels like he shouldn't count his beer, because of the "APs" he earns, jokingly, but it seems like he should really be losing weight, when I tally up his intake and exercise. Occasionally he'll go over a point or two, but after a month, he should have lost at LEAST 10 pounds and he's only lost like, 3.

That said, my husband is an extremely picky eater, but other than making his food for him, and basically MAKING him eat what I fix, I don't know what to do to help him. I know I can't do it for him, but I want to help as much as possible.

OKAY... I'm running in circles..my real question is this: What do you "meat and potatoes" men eat to help you lose weight? My husband used to only eat pizza, cheeseburgers, steak, and chips. I've gotten him on green beans, and he'll eat salad w/ Olive Garden dressing, and he finally likes sour cream, but I don't know what to fix!

ANY ideas are welcome. No "weird" foods - he'll never eat cottage cheese, broccoli, or cucumbers. Vegetables are basically out besides green beans, corn, carrots(occassionally), and potatoes.

I've tried to get him to come to the boards and post, but he's not really into the "online" thing, so that's a no-go.

TIA.. you guys are so incredible and inspiring - so I know I'm in the right place!
    Trish HW: 190 SW: 170 CW: 164.2 GW: 135ish

Default Re: Need Man-Power on WW. :)

Your husband sounds a lot like myself before WW.

I'm a meat and patato guy. When I started WW, it was very difficult, but after about a month, I go use to it. Have him try lean chicken filets and lean cut pork chops. The only steak I usually eat now a days is in restaurants, and I usually order the filet migonon, which is the leanest cut. Rib-eye is the fattiest. Also, he HAS to count his Beer intake. A six pack of Bud is 18 pts.

You can lean on us boyz for support.

BTW---> Congrats on your new baby. I lurk in the 20's page occasionally. I'm 38, but I find the 20's page more fun.
    SW 1/15/07 - 248 (37.5 % BF)
    CW 10/01/09 - 184 (13.6% BF)
    Goal is to Maintain current weight and reach under 10% BF.
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=186676

Platoon Member 256
    Regards,
    Rich

Are you married to my DH's brother?? Haha! My hubs isn't doing WW, hates all veggies with the white-hot intensity of 1000 suns and still eats what I cook. That being said he's lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months because he's cut out beer. Not totally, he still has some on occasion, but not every weekend like he used to. Now, I do hide veggies in 98% FF refried beans and stuff like that by dicing them so small he really can't tell they are there. Also, we eat our fair share of rice around here. It's about the only side, besides pasta, that he'll eat. Although he will eat couscous, but likes rice better. We do tacos, burritos, casseroles, pasta dishes, basically I make things I know he will eat and add more veggies and less cheese to mine. Hope I helped!

I've gotten some recipes DH like from http://www.aimeesadventures.com/Recipes.html
    and http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/browse-recipes.asp

I usually do hispanic-type foods bc they seem pretty easy to make into tastey low-fat recipes by using LF tortillas and refried or canned whole beans and lots of salad and salsa.
    Mel
    DD Alexis born 11/04!
    DS Aiden born 12/06!

I use ALOT of extra lean ground beef b/c my DH doesn't like anything too "fancy" I sautee mushrooms & onion in healthy oil to serve over burgers (I skip the bun), I have a cheeseburger casserole recipe that's amazing for 6 pts a serving, has potatos and ground beef and is super yum. Those are a couple of my picky hubby's faves anyway. Mexican dishes usually go over pretty well too w/ sauteed peppers & onions. Oh and potatoes fried on the stove w/ healthy oil, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers, taste like man food but still has the healthy oil and veggies. And I've found the smaller I slice the veggies the more acceptable it is (and the harder it is to eat around them)

My DH isn't doing WW and didn't need to loose any weight but he's dropped to like nada body fat since I've adjusted our eating habits. He has a freak metabolism though just to be mean to me I think. The Dr. did tell him to watch his cholestorol though b/c it was a little high, but I think that was just the 6 eggs a day protein shakes he was making.

Replies

For what it is worth, my husband's new favorite vegetable below... Sweet potatoes. And another recipe that I don't think FEELS like a vegetable since it is so much like it's fried counterpart.

Sweet Potato:
    Cut one large sweet potatoe into "french fry" shaped pieces. (I actually cut them in half first then cut in fry shape pieces so they end up shorter and cook a little more evenly). Toss with 1-2 tsp. olive oil. Use the Italian seasoning spice grinder and grind that spice over the potato LIBERALLY. Then sprinkle a few pinches of Kosher salt on top. Toss again. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake in a 400 F oven for about 25 minutes, turning once.

Faux Fried Zuccini
    Cut up 2 small-medium zuccinis into round slices. Toss with 1 tsp. olive oil. In a shallow dish, mix 1/4 cup italian seasoned breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Dip each round into the breadcrumb mixture one at a time coating and then put onto a baking sheet. Bake in 400 F oven for 25 minutes. (Honestly these are SOOO YUMMY, but I have to limit myself to one serving. I could seriously eat the entire baking sheet worth in one sitting.)

I keep 90% lean burgers in the freezer at all times. I take them straight out of the freezer and onto the grill pan with a little seasoning salt. My DH does not do fat free anything, but he has never noticed when I put the 2% cheese on his burger.
    Emma
    5'1"
    SW 154.0
    CW 154.0
    GW 125

Replies

Oh yeah, if he won't eat veggies, remember that fruit is friendly too. I like to cut up a lot of fruit into one container so that it is prepared and on hand. With 5 people in the house, we go through a large container of mixed fruit daily. I have started using divided "cafeteria sized" trays for plates at dinner time, and I fill only 1 portion with the entree (or meat) and the rest are filled with fresh fruit, applesauce, salad, sliced cucumbers, or whatever veggies are prepared. You might try looking at some of the Core recipes and just keep trying them. My guess is that if he is hungry enough and it is prepared, he might at least try an item here and there.

Corn on the cob?
    Emma
    5'1"
    SW 154.0
    CW 154.0
    GW 125

Replies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichMan View Post
    BTW---> Congrats on your new baby. I lurk in the 20's page occasionally. I'm 38, but I find the 20's page more fun.
    Thank you! And thank you all for the suggestions! He'll eat what I make if it's cheesy and seems indulgent. Unless he can taste the vegetables in it. haha I've gotten him to eat my chicken pot pie from the forum, and also two forms of chicken enchilada (one is a casserole). I've also switched out potatoes to instant every once in a while, without complaint, and he doesn't say anything about the 2% cheese in the fridge. I'll give him credit that he TRIES, but most of the time he ends up eating processed garbage. He's needs to lower his cholesterol, so I try to limit what he puts in his mouth, but he's usually on a rush at lunchtime, and eats whatever is fast.

I will try these suggestions though, and any more that you have, PLEASE share!

P.S. Emma - fruit is no problem, its just that I have to shove it in his face because it's NEVER the first thing he picks up, and if it is, it's usually in syrup. Fruit is semi-expensive too, and I'm a frugal shopper. BUT - that is a fabulous suggestion. He does LOVE corn on the cob. I guess I just need to get better sides.

Replies

Stop counting work sweat as activity. After you've been doing an activity for a long time your system gets very, very efficient at it. I gained wt while running 20-30 miles a week because I have always been a runner. I no longer count my running miles as activity points.

For breakfast do egg beaters instead of whole eggs. Sprinkle on BacoBits but not real bacon. Use 5 grain oatmeal instead of regular Quaker oats. Stay away from most normal cereals. They all contain a lot of sugar. Go for Shredded Wheat and stuff like that. Try to wean him from milk fat. If he's doing 2%, buy 1% for a couple months then move down the fat free milk later.

Always take two pieces of fruit for lunch along with whatever else.

Avoid bread and pasta as much as possible, those are the biggest problems of all, but when you want it go for multi-grain breads and whole wheat pasta. Use sweet potato instead of white potato.

Remove all corn chips and cookies and stuff like Wheat Thins and Ritz crackers from the house entirely. A saltine or a graham cracker is OK but if he's like me I'd rather eat cardboard, so if that's all there is, he probably just won't snack at all.
    Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire
    visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

This is based more on me than my husband. I am also a VERY PICKY eater. At 27 I can honestly say the veggies I eat are lettuce, potato(can your REALLY count that), and raw baby carrots. I used to do flex and lost 30 plus lbs. Now I am doing core but incorporating lots of fruit. I love couscous, and bulgur and try to eat them more than the potato, ww pasta, or brown rice. And I love core because I can eat when I'm hungry, I just make sure it's fruit as my snack. And when I am majorly facing a "craving" I use either AP's or my 35 flex. Wish your DH the best and be grateful he "tried" with you. My DH beer is just too precious for him to give up, so I must do this on my own. Correction" With the help of my BCB : )
    Last edited by JCormack; 09-05-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Sorry, just realized this was on the Men's thread. but anyways...
    Jennifer CW: 191.6 8/11/12 Goal: 135

Tell him to eat meat and potatoes, that's what I do.

Eggs for breakfast (w/ oatmeal or grits or toast)
    Turkey sandwiches for lunch
    Chicken, beef, burgers are all great foods as long as they are homemade.

The real issue is the counting of the points not the food he's eating. Technically he could eat big mac meals and still lose weight as long as he's tracking points.
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

Replies

This is a tough one. I was a meat and potatoes man with lots of gravy, salt and fat added to all.

I exercised quite a bit (jogging/walking) but never enough to loose the way I was eating. The day of reckoning comes to all soon or later. Usually, followed by some soul shaking event that slaps us along side the head and says -continue and you are not long for this world. My choice, my free will will dictate my fate.

Ergo - mine was getting tired of what I was seeing in the mirror, struggling to fit into the big and tall clothes I was wearing (hating them but not admitting that), watching my blood test results creep into the unhealthy zones, watching my brothers go on the insulin needle and yet continue to abuse their bodies, and last watching my 12 year old son grow and realize how much he needed and relied on me (I am a single parent).

Today, my eating plan is so much different than before and the adjustments I made to the WW style of eating is thoroughly ingrained into my psyche. I am always body aware today; feel odd if my exercise does not happen; and yes celebrating my new found health with an occassional charge of steak and taters every now and then.

I think your husband is blessed having a supportive partner like you, who loves him enough to keep trying to set the good example yourself, continuing to educate him and celebrate his victories no matter how small along the way.

Life is good.
    MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life....

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)

12. Default Re: Need Man-Power on WW. :)

Not that this will help with veggies, but have you thought about the core program?

Replies
    Blog Entries

Thank you everyone! (and to the one who asked me about Core - It's an excellent suggestion, but one that I know would not work for him, or me for that matter. But thank you!)

He's not really a breakfast person - I can usually get him to eat a granola bar and some juice, but that's about it. Lunches are him grabbing somethign fast and cheap, and the only real "good" meal I can be for sure about is dinner. I think the suggestion on counting "activity" points is a good one - I suppose his body might be used to regular physical labor, but it's seriously ridiculous how much he does during the day - it REALLY should add up somewhere, it just doesn't.

I appreciate the suggestions. I know there are a few staples I should keep in the house, I just hate the idea of him eating the same things all the time, and he usually voices to me when he's tired of something. There's no way I could get him to eat a turkey sandwich everyday - I've bought turkey and ham, and I'm usually the one that ends up eating it. It's really frustrating. I will absolutely take this advice though and keep trying new things with him. And we will stop counting his work as activity points and see where that gets us.

Thanks again, everyone!!

14. Default Re: Need Man-Power on WW. :)

Good luck. I don't want to sound judgemental without all the facts, but it sounds like he is not really trying at this very hard.

Are you his mother or his wife?
    Running Log

Hey Classy,

I'm like your husband...Meat and Potatoes...with CHEESE all the way!

The good thing about WW is you get to eat all of those. There is a way to incorporate the "Drive-Thru" into the program as long as you know the POINTS values and use your Flex POINTS.

I hate the FF dairy stuff....it's plain nasty, but the lower fat cheese choices are good.

I'd ask him to make a list of his fave foods and then do a challenge on on how incorporate them or "lighten" them up a bit.

You're NOT being selfish by wanting you both to be healthy. It's about quality of life now and when you're older..it's easier now than it will be when you are in your 50's/60's.
    PKGuy323

SW 277 01/03/2005
    10% Reached on: 11/15/2007
    GW 199

Replies
    Blog Entries

Padre - both, sometimes.

And you're right, he's really not trying very hard, but when I tell him that he seems to get offended. His excuse is that he's too busy, too tired, etc. I told him I can't do it for both of us, and that doesn't settle well at all either. That's why I came to you guys - I figure if I can just control what goes in his mouth at home (food wise anyway) that maybe it would help. I know I can't really do it for him, but I can help the majority of the way.

18. Default Re: Need Man-Power on WW. :)

ClassyLady,

My situtation is similiar to yours. I am the driving force in my house behind WW, and I do 90% of the cooking & meal planning. I have to sometimes stop myself from speaking as I'm constantly having to evaluate where line is between being helpful to my wife and being the "food czar". I figure she's a big girl (no pun intended, as I'm also a big boy) and knows the program do's & dont's as well as I do.

Everyone in my house has the freedom to eat or not to eat what I cook, but I plan helathy meals in line with the core prograrm. I do ask for "requests" when planning the weeks meals, but those requests are subject to the core diet, and sometimes my whims (OK, so maybe I really am the food czar).

I have a buddy that works out about as much as I do. When people ask him why he works out he says "Just trying to keep my wife interested." I always fear that when one partner starts losing and the other doesn't that this is missed. I know love isn't that shallow but still.

I appreciate your last post because you stopped making excuses for him. You keep saying "my husbands not a (insert excuse here)".

He's going to have to decide for himself that this is his battle. To help him along take lots of pictures of him with his shirt off and other unappealing angles. Put them in frames so it doesn't look like you're trying to prove a point.

One thing that worked for me was my Grandma kept buying me 4-6x shirts. I was never bigger than a 3x but she must have thought I was. Make some phone calls!
    Running Log

Quote Originally Posted by PadreC View Post
    One thing that worked for me was my Grandma kept buying me 4-6x shirts. I was never bigger than a 3x but she must have thought I was. Make some phone calls!
    MY parents do that ALL THE TIME for my DH! He's never been more than a 1X, he's a tall guy and has lots of muscle, has a little fat, not alot though. But my BIL is a little tubbier than my DH so they just buy them the same size shirts. I guess it makes for easier shopping, but most of them I wore for maternity clothes! The things parents do. Oh, and they are still buying me sizes I wore in HS. I may never be that small again! Hopefully very close though.
    Mel
    DD Alexis born 11/04!
    DS Aiden born 12/06!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch1965 View Post
    Everyone in my house has the freedom to eat or not to eat what I cook, but I plan helathy meals in line with the core prograrm. I do ask for "requests" when planning the weeks meals, but those requests are subject to the core diet, and sometimes my whims (OK, so maybe I really am the food czar).
    I LOVE this! I agree. Cook healthy meals and if he eats them, fine. If not, I suppose he is on his own.

BTW, I am cooking tacos tonight which are not that bad on the points if you use lean ground beef, lowfat free sour cream, 2% shredded cheese and salsa. I also use corn tortillas since they are lower in points. There is no way my husband would even blink at a whole wheat tortilla, much less eat one. But, the corn tortillas are definitely better points wise than the flour ones. He has no idea I am cooking with 90-93% lean beef. He just knows we are having tacos. He will eat the 2% cheese, and on the days that he doesn't notice the "lowfat" on the side of the container it doesn't seem to bother him.
    Emma
    5'1"
    SW 154.0
    CW 154.0
    GW 125