Thread: Points and fried food....

Default Points and fried food....

Hi again,
    I am craving fried okra. I would like to make my own, but I am unsure of how to count the points for the oil. Should I just start with a cup and measure how much oil is left over when I'm done frying? Kind of a dumb question, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right.
    Thanks
    WDWBride

2. Default Re: Points and fried food....

I think that would be the way to do it - troublesome, but worth it if you want it that much and can afford the points! I wonder if there's a way to bake breaded okra (maybe sprayed with some oil) and get it crisp?
    Rose

HW:175
    WW Goal: 136
    Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006
    Personal Goal: 118-123
    CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)
    BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
    Wayne Dyer

Default Re: Points and fried food....

Here is a recipe if you would like to try oven "fried".

Oven Baked Okra

1 medium egg
    1/2 tsp. Hot pepper sauce
    1 lb. Fresh okra, stem ends trimmed, sliced into 1/2 -inch thick rounds
    1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. Salt (optional)

In a large pot 3/4 full with salted boiling water, parboil okra until tender, about 5 minutes; drain well. Preheat oven to 450 F. In large bowl, beat together egg, 1 tablespoon water, and pepper sauce; add okra to bowl.

In large food storage bag, brown paper bag, or large bowl, combine bread crumbs, pepper, and (if desired)salt. Using slotted spoon, remove okra from egg mixture, allowing excess egg mixture to drip back into bowl. Add okra to crumb mixture in bag. Rotate bag to coat okra evenly.

On nonstick baking sheet or large shallow pan, spread okra in single layer. Spray okra with nonstick cooking spray. Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 12 minutes. Makes 6 side-dish servings.

This is a favorite dish of most Southerners. Try as a side dish to compliment a meal or serve as a tasty party appetizer.

Per Serving: 103 calories, 2 g. fat, 5 g. protein, 335 mg sodium, 31 mg cholesterol
    Abby

SW: 285 (1/1/08)
    CW: 179

"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time."

Thanks for the recipe! That looks like a healthier alternative. I'll try it out!

Rose,
    I think you're right....measuring the oil before and after would be a little troublesome. Maybe troublesome enough to keep me from trying it!

WDWBride