Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Replies

Arrow The Beck Diet Solution And Core

This is for anybuddy doing the Beck Diet Solution workbook or book, and Core!

Jump in where you are!
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Arrow Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

I saw the other thread had gotten big and traveled to Page Two, so let's start a new thread, okay?...

I need to grab-onto something to help me, Buddies.

I just read the introduction AND took the questionaire. Here's what I learned about me THIS time:

• My motivation level is very low. I need to learn how to increase my motivation because certain tasks are essential.

• I have developed stronger negative reactions towards dieting.

• I am eating in response to discomfort. Physical and emotional.

• I have sabbotaging thoughts that I need to replace with helpful ones.

• The sabbotaging thoughts are mainly: "It's okay to eat this because: I don't care. I'm sad. I'm mad. I'm hurt."

That's the story.

That's where I'm starting.

I also responded to the automatic-eating. "You always make a decision to eat or not to eat, to keep eating or not eating."
    "The reason that eating sometimes seems automatic is that you're paying attention to other things.
    Sometimes this...is unintentional.
    At other times you may intentionally try not to notice how much you are eating
    ."
    (Not a good thing with Core...!)

Also, "Triggers do not automatically lead to eating.
    Your thoughts determine whether or not you actually eat
    ."

And, dieting is similar to running a race.
    You have to train, build up your diet muscles and stamina, so that you can finish the race and win.

So today I'm reading my "Reasons I Want To Lost Weight Chart" before every meal, and using my "Do It Anyway" card.

For exercise, I have written:

• Organize your life around exercise.

• Exercise is mandatory.

• Schedule it.

• And, fit in spontaneous exercise, too.

That's the plan for today, Buddies. I will exercise with my sore leg by walking. Also looking for a ski-pole(s) to use while I walk.
    Last edited by WWCarol; 07-24-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Default Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

I have the book AND the workbook....but no motivation to read/do either one of them. I also have the 4Day Win book that I've been reading but it really makes no sense to me. Maybe because I'm trying to read it so late at night before bed. I just have other things I want to do during the day, but I KNOW I need to get to these books.

I loved the things that you wrote that spoke to you. I KNOW I need this because what you wrote REALLY spoke to me.
    Penny

SW 213.8
    CW 186.0 (Total Core loss = -27.8)
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

I just pulled my book of the shelf where it has been sitting untouched since I received it in the mail several months ago. Starting to read it today. Will check back in later.......
    kim....HW 189.0..SW 10/17/14 187.0 CW 185.0~GW 150

Replies

Arrow Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

I'm so glad I took the questionaire again, Penny. Have you taken it yet? It doesn't take hardly any time and it gives a-mazing feedback.

My answers were different this time. Obviously I have a LOT less motivation than I did before. I'm crediting that to my anxiety-difficulty I experience with Summer...

But there it was. Right in the answer.

I also didn't realize how I was using "excuses" so much. But I definitely am.

All I can tell you is: I feel a HELLUVA' LOT BETTER since I picked up this book this morning. I was feeling pretty pitiful before...

Replies

Thumbs up Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Quote Originally Posted by kimbierrt View Post
    I just pulled my book of the shelf where it has been sitting untouched since I received it in the mail several months ago. Starting to read it today. Will check back in later.......
    See you later, Kim...

Quote Originally Posted by WWCarol View Post
    I'm so glad I took the questionaire again, Penny. Have you taken it yet? It doesn't take hardly any time and it gives a-mazing feedback.

Okay....I'm off to take the book with me to lie down. I didn't get enough sleep last night. At least I can take the test and then go from there.
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

Talking Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

WWSuzanne pulled up the Beck Thread: Second Semester, and said she and her Buddies are getting lots out of it...

I'm gonna' keep this going, too.

And ANY BUDDY can post on either one, or both, or none...Just do what your heart desires......And whatever works for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensguys View Post
    Okay....I'm off to take the book with me to lie down. I didn't get enough sleep last night. At least I can take the test and then go from there.

See what you think, Penny. Whenever I read what people learned about themselves from the questionaire, I'm always surprised at how well-stated their conclusions are...And that's because the questionaire just SHOWS you where you need help!

I hope you get rested enough to care...

Which, sad to say, has been my problem.

I got out and got a COOL CANE! Leki. Came home and piled a lunch together w/lots of veggies, but FIRST read my "Reasons" chart.

Remember: Feel free to JUMP IN WHERE-YOU-ARE!

WWSuzanne pulled up the Beck Thread: Second Semester,

or both,
    That'll be me!

See what you think, Penny. Whenever I read what people learned about themselves from the questionaire, I'm always surprised at how well-stated their conclusions are...And that's because the questionaire just SHOWS you where you need help!

I hope you get rested enough to care...
    I'm back! I only got a little snooze, but I did get to the point in the book of starting the daily exercises.

I do care, and I'm very motivated right now. I'm just wanting to spend my time with my knitting, online and TV watching....because I knew that soon those days will be ending when we start school again.

BUT.....I read enough to go motivated to do my work in the book each day! It seems as if she were talking straight to me in the introduction!
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Ok, I'm back.
    Day 1
    I made my advantages card and basically I want to look and feel better and be healthy. I want to be able to wear my size 6 and 8 clothes comfortably and be happy with what I see in the mirror.
    Day 2
    Diet already chosen and in force....WW Core of course with a backup plan of WW flex
    Day 3
    Eating sitting down. I pretty consistently do this now but will pay more attention.
    Day 4
    Give myself credit. This I will have to work on daily. I am very good at telling myself what I am doing wrong, but to actually tell myself what I am doing right will be an effort.
    Day 5
    Eat mindfully and slowly. Again, I actually do this most of the time. I just need to make it all of the time. My husband tells me I am the slowest eater ever. I am always the last one at the table.
    Day 6
    Diet coach. My mom and this board will be my coaches.

These chapters were fairly easy for me. They just make sense. I also feel I was able to breeze through them due to being on core for as long as I have been. I'm already doing alot of the things. Look forward to checking in with my progress and seeing yours also.

Replies

Smile Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

That'll be me!

I'm back! I only got a little snooze, but I did get to the point in the book of starting the daily exercises.

I do care, and I'm very motivated right now. I'm just wanting to spend my time with my knitting, online and TV watching....because I knew that soon those days will be ending when we start school again.

BUT.....I read enough to go motivated to do my work in the book each day! It seems as if she were talking straight to me in the introduction!
    Great, Penny! And remember you can always "copy" your post in either place, in order to save time/effort.

That's wonderful that she "spoke" to you.

Ok, I'm back.
    Day 1
    I made my advantages card and basically I want to look and feel better and be healthy. I want to be able to wear my size 6 and 8 clothes comfortably and be happy with what I see in the mirror.
    Day 2
    Diet already chosen and in force....WW Core of course with a backup plan of WW flex
    Day 3
    Eating sitting down. I pretty consistently do this now but will pay more attention.
    Day 4
    Give myself credit. This I will have to work on daily. I am very good at telling myself what I am doing wrong, but to actually tell myself what I am doing right will be an effort.
    Day 5
    Eat mindfully and slowly. Again, I actually do this most of the time. I just need to make it all of the time. My husband tells me I am the slowest eater ever. I am always the last one at the table.
    Day 6
    Diet coach. My mom and this board will be my coaches.

These chapters were fairly easy for me. They just make sense. I also feel I was able to breeze through them due to being on core for as long as I have been. I'm already doing alot of the things. Look forward to checking in with my progress and seeing yours also.
    Eating sitting down is a fun one. I've been surprised as I've been walking, starting to take a BITE of some-thing...!

Mindfully is what I'll need work on. I'm okay on slowly, too.

I got groceries (lotsa' fruits) and a knee brace and cane, so I'm set, Buddies!

LostTeacher Guest

there are a lot of similarities between this and the 'four day win'. i've really gotten into that book, but i am also trying to get thru it once, and then going back to do it slowly. i have noticed some things about myself that does need some work, but i like that i am at least noticing that.
    and now that i had my big loss, i realize how hard i actually have to continue to work to be successful. it's not like i was hungry, or that it was really that hard, but i can't just coast. i am one of the people that has to journal, and has to measure. so whether i am doing core or flex, i have to do that.

LT

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by LostTeacher View Post
    there are a lot of similarities between this and the 'four day win'. i've really gotten into that book, but i am also trying to get thru it once, and then going back to do it slowly. i have noticed some things about myself that does need some work, but i like that i am at least noticing that.
    and now that i had my big loss, i realize how hard i actually have to continue to work to be successful. it's not like i was hungry, or that it was really that hard, but i can't just coast. i am one of the people that has to journal, and has to measure. so whether i am doing core or flex, i have to do that.
    LT
    I'm paying attention to amounts, too, LT. And I'm looking up points on things. Like, I had gotten into eating brown rice instead of bulgar...And that's TWICE as expensive points-wise. If I'm needing to lose weight, that's a problem (for me).

Well, Day One went very well!

Day Two, I read with DH in bed this morning, cementing the ideas in my brain by reading them to him. And talking with him about weight-related and exercise-related concerns.

I commited to Core, with Flex as back-up. However, as I said, I'm looking up points as "reminders" to me. You know: 1/2 a cup of fruit isn't very much! I think my fruit/yogurt bowls have GROWN over time...!

Yesterday I read my Advantages List BEFORE each meal. I give myself credit for that!

Today I am also going to include Day 3's: Sit Down To Eat.

When Beck wrote all the possible sabbotaging thoughts you could have regarding sitting-down-to-eat, she then included an excercise: "Write down any other sabotaging thoughts you might have:"

I wrote: "This doesn't apply to me."

LOL!
    Last edited by WWCarol; 07-25-2008 at 01:42 PM.

I am up to day 10 only because so many of these things I already do or have in place.
    -I have my advantages list that I am reading at least twice a day.
    -I am working core plan the way it is to be done.
    -I am sitting down to eat although I did catch myself about to take a bite of my breakfast this morning on the way to the table. I was really hungry.
    -I gave my self credit on the accountabilty thread with Tracijune.
    "So in giving myself credit...I am proud that I have lost a total of 44.5 lbs. I am proud that even though I gained 10 lbs since dec, I stopped myself before I gained it all back.
    I am proud that I am here OP, accountable and pushing toward goal."
    -Eating slowly I have down pat, but I am also making sure to really pay attention to what I am eating, turning off the tv, etc.
    -Diet coach is in place, I talk to my mom pretty much everyday and she is also doing core.
    -My environment is pretty clean. As far as junk, I buy things for DH and kids but I try not to buy things that I know I also love.
    -Creating time and energy is already pretty much ingrained. I make a eating plan a week at a time and go buy everything I need for the week with the exception of the meats. I like them fresh and don't like to buy more than a day or 2 in advance.
    -My exercise goal is to do at least 3 dvd's a week. I have a hip hop abs set that I want to get started on. When I am at work I will take the stairs instead of the elevator, even if it is up to the 5th floor and I am on concourse. I am constantly up and down seeing patients on emergency calls so this will definitely add up. I may even keep track of the flights each day going up.
    -My goals are realistic. I want to reach my ww goal of 140. I also want to be able to comfortably wear my size 6 and 8 clothes that I bought when I got down to 143. I already threw out the bigger clothes, so I will have to wear them tight til then.
    -So now on to day 11. I will read this over the weekend at work and try to complete it. I will report back on Monday.

Replies

Sounds great, Kim.

Do you have anything to "remind" you to give yourself credit?...

At first I started out with a BIG BLUE rubber band on my wrist, and I wrote "CREDIT" on it.

That really helped!

Then I got a bracelet with a ball that had "C"s on it: Carol and Credit.

I have a notebook that I am using to go through this book and making myself a daily checklist. On the checklist is to give myself credit daily for something. I kinda flipped ahead just looking at the chapters and I think that Starting chapter 7 or week 3 is going to start slowing me down as it will be things that I am not consistently doing already. I look forward to working through them though, even if it takes me more than 1 day to work through each task.

Replies

I have a notebook that I am using to go through this book and making myself a daily checklist. On the checklist is to give myself credit daily for something. I kinda flipped ahead just looking at the chapters and I think that Starting chapter 7 or week 3 is going to start slowing me down as it will be things that I am not consistently doing already. I look forward to working through them though, even if it takes me more than 1 day to work through each task.
    A checklist is a GREAT reminder, Kim~

[quote=WWCarol;1587603]I'm paying attention to amounts, too, LT. And I'm looking up points on things. Like, I had gotten into eating brown rice instead of bulgar...And that's TWICE as expensive points-wise. If I'm needing to lose weight, that's a problem (for me). [quote]

Okay...a question here. I notice you did say "(for me)" but is this something that maybe all of us will have to watch for as we get closer to goal? I mean according to WW we should be able to eat brown rice (limited) to satisfaction and get to goal....no matter that it has twice the points as bulgar.
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

Smile Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Okay...a question here. I notice you did say "(for me)" but is this something that maybe all of us will have to watch for as we get closer to goal? I mean according to WW we should be able to eat brown rice (limited) to satisfaction and get to goal....no matter that it has twice the points as bulgar.

True. According to WW's Core, we should be able to eat brown rice (limited to one meal daily without counting) to satisfaction, along with meeting your 8Greats daily, and get to goal.

But bulgar WORKED for me getting to goal on Flex AND on Core...I just think it's a great healthy (lower calorie, lower point) delicious alternative.

If somebuddy didn't like it, though, there are other ways to get to goal. You've got choices!

It's funny. On the WW website they're arguing that "Choose whole grain foods whenever possible" means you don't have to eat grains on Core; you just need to eat 1/2 of your grains as whole grains IF YOU CHOOSE to eat grains...!

That's a completely different perspective than I have.

I think "Choose whole grain foods whenever possible" means to include whole grains in a healthy CORE diet.

But we're reading the same materials and understanding different things. I think that happens.

Okay, I understand. But if YOU (WWCarol) decided one day to have brown rice, are you stressing over this choice?

I'm asking this because I'm trying to understand my friend. She is on Flex and at goal and has been for a few months now. She gives herself 22 pts each day plus whatever APs she earns....so she is sort of doing 20 per day and 14 WPAs, but she says in her mind it is just easier to say 22 pts and XAPs.

Well, she has decided she is going to go with Core this week since she is on maintenance, but she doesn't want to use her WPAs, just APs. I know that is her perogative to do, but it is just getting me worried that when *I* get to goal I won't be able to eat Core + WPAs + APs. (And I also worry about her stressing over what I think is SUPPOSED to be what WW teaches...that you can eat your WPAs and APs on each plan on maintenance.)
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

Lightbulb Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Okay, I understand. But if YOU (WWCarol) decided one day to have brown rice, are you stressing over this choice?
    Hell no, Penny!

I was just enjoying (newly discovered) long-grain brown rice, in favor of bulgar (which I had been forgetting to make).

I have lots of situations where I'd choose brown rice.

1) Brown rice is all I have.

2) DS is coming for dinner, and he would LOVE the rice over the bulgar.

3) A certain dish needs brown rice in order to taste good (or work, like sushi).

I'm asking this because I'm trying to understand my friend. She is on Flex and at goal and has been for a few months now. She gives herself 22 pts each day plus whatever APs she earns....so she is sort of doing 20 per day and 14 WPAs, but she says in her mind it is just easier to say 22 pts and XAPs.

Well, she has decided she is going to go with Core this week since she is on maintenance, but she doesn't want to use her WPAs, just APs. I know that is her perogative to do, but it is just getting me worried that when *I* get to goal I won't be able to eat Core + WPAs + APs. (And I also worry about her stressing over what I think is SUPPOSED to be what WW teaches...that you can eat your WPAs and APs on each plan on maintenance.)
    I maintained my goal weight for 3+ years on Core eating: Core + WAPs (63 on maintenance) + APs, successfully. Points didn't enter my head, except for things I needed to count (non-Core).

My downfall came when I lost focus during the Big Move, not having access to the computer or my kitchen or all my stuff...Then we moved, and just now I'm finding my stuff and I'm creating my Core Groove again. Theoretically, I COULD have managed the stress and all those variables; I just didn't.

It's totally do-able. Look at Lynn! She's done it for 3+ years, and hasn't had a stumble.

When I was on Flex, and got to goal I was SO SICK of eating 19 points. FeelGR8 told me to go onto maintenance and eat all the points I was allowed. I did, and I lost 8 MORE POUNDS eating LOTS MORE FOOD! It just dropped off! That's what people don't realize.

Hell no, Penny!

I was just enjoying (newly discovered) long-grain brown rice, in favor of bulgar (which I had been forgetting to make).

I have lots of situations where I'd choose brown rice.
    Thanks....I'm just panicking prematurely.

I maintained my goal weight for 3+ years on Core eating: Core + WAPs (63 on maintenance) + APs, successfully. Points didn't enter my head, except for things I needed to count (non-Core).

When I was on Flex, and got to goal I was SO SICK of eating 19 points. FeelGR8 told me to go onto maintenance and eat all the points I was allowed. I did, and I lost 8 MORE POUNDS eating LOTS MORE FOOD! It just dropped off! That's what people don't realize.
    I surely wish I could convince my friend of this. Maybe I'll just have to be an example for her. I got a Hungry Girl email today with a few ice cream Sundae recipes using items that (of course) we would have to use WAPs for. I fwded it to my friend and she remarked that she would have to do a LONG workout in order to eat one of those (which the recipe was only 3 pts!!!!). I just shake my head because there is no way for me to show her except to SHOW her. Ya know?
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

I have just finshed the workbook. No doubt this book REALLY helped me. The key for me was in planning the day before-filling out the pages in the workbook. I didn't like it-but JUST DID IT. What ever I planned I did. It paided off for me. I have lost every week while on core. Granted some weeks were just .2, but a loss is a loss. I know soon I will maintain, but I'm mentally ready for that too.

If it's okay I would like to be part of this thread too. I don't want to lose the skills I learned. Have started reading the 4 Day Win.
    Last edited by WWLifer; 07-27-2008 at 03:44 AM.
    Sarah

196.8/173/150/140
    Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.
    5-9-08 Began Core
    10-25-08-Made goal
    12-4-08-Made Lifetime
    11-29-09-Starting again

I am going to hop on board as well, as far as the planning, goal setting and commitment,sitting while eating, eating slowly ,for now. I need to really concentrate on these and master them.
    GREAT job, Sarah, for getting thru the workbook. I had a really hard time when I had to do some of the exercises,it felt physically not right, so I backed down. However, the skills I just mentioned are common sense to me, and I need to make them part of what I do every day, so I will commit to starting there and following through daily. And of course, coming here for inspiration and advice...
    Bridget
    SW 230
    CW 151.8
    GW 130

Replies

Thanks....I'm just panicking prematurely.

I surely wish I could convince my friend of this. Maybe I'll just have to be an example for her. I got a Hungry Girl email today with a few ice cream Sundae recipes using items that (of course) we would have to use WAPs for. I fwded it to my friend and she remarked that she would have to do a LONG workout in order to eat one of those (which the recipe was only 3 pts!!!!). I just shake my head because there is no way for me to show her except to SHOW her. Ya know?
    I know, Penny. Seriously, Core was as easy-as-pie () those past 3+ years. And that's why I'm not worried now. I know Core is great for losing. And I think it's The BEST for maintaining!

Quote Originally Posted by WWLifer View Post
    I have just finshed the workbook. No doubt this book REALLY helped me. The key for me was in planning the day before-filling out the pages in the workbook. I didn't like it-but JUST DID IT. What ever I planned I did. It paided off for me. I have lost every week while on core. Granted some weeks were just .2, but a loss is a loss. I know soon I will maintain, but I'm mentally ready for that too.

If it's okay I would like to be part of this thread too. I don't want to lose the skills I learned. Have started ready the 4 Day Win.
    That's great, WWLifer. Reminds me of a Dr. Phil: "You don't have to WANT to do it; you just have to DO it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgethemom View Post
    I am going to hop on board as well, as far as the planning, goal setting and commitment,sitting while eating, eating slowly ,for now. I need to really concentrate on these and master them.
    GREAT job, Sarah, for getting thru the workbook. I had a really hard time when I had to do some of the exercises,it felt physically not right, so I backed down. However, the skills I just mentioned are common sense to me, and I need to make them part of what I do every day, so I will commit to starting there and following through daily. And of course, coming here for inspiration and advice...
    Good going, Bridget. Even though I did this before, I'm seeing "new" things this time.

Yesterday I ate everything sitting down. Technically. Once it was in the car because I was stuck doing errands and was way-too-hungry by 1:30. I didn't, however, notice and savor every bite!

Today, for me, is Day Four: Build Your Confidence!

The things that stand out THIS time are:

One of the biggest problems diets face is a sense of helplessness when they stray from their diet or when the number on the scale fails to go down.

Watch out for self-critisism that undermines your confidence. When you eat something you shouldn't or skip an exercise session, think about what you'd say to your best friend if she made the same mistake.

So I'll wear my bracelet today with the "C" for "credit' and give myself credit EVERY time I exercise; EVERY time I practice a dieting skill; and EVERY time I stick to my plan.

You did it! That's really good! GREAT! You deserve credit. Good job.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast