Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Default Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Today was the day to practice eating while sitting down. I succeeded except for 2 times. I made the Core Banana muffins. I made big ones and some little mini muffins. Before I knew it, I had popped one in my mouth on the WAY to sitting down.....I did the same thing with some grapes.

I also went ahead and started practicing giving myself credit. Today I gave myself credit for journaling, making a plan for eating out and sticking to it, for weighing in and not getting discouraged over a loss of .2 when I expected more, for exercising and for losing some inches that didn't show up on the scale. Oh, and I also read my list of reasons for losing weight several times.
    Penny

SW 213.8
    CW 186.0 (Total Core loss = -27.8)
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

Wow Penny! Sounds like you had a great day! With PLENTY of things to give yourself credit for!

Thanks, Lynn!
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by WWCarol View Post

Watch out for self-critisism that undermines your confidence. When you eat something you shouldn't or skip an exercise session, think about what you'd say to your best friend if she made the same mistake.
    This is SUCH a great one!!!

Jumping in here.. so glad to have found this thread... I worked through the whole Beck Diet Solution workbook except for the last few days as they focussed on situations that I do not face at this time.... I learned so much and continue to practice the techniques that I found particularly helpful.

I am on Core so I thought, at first, that preplanning meals for a whole day was anti-Core, but I did it anyway. And, lo and behold, I find it very helpful and positive to do that. I have been maintaing well below my goal for a few years and allow myself an up and down of 3 pounds... well, when I preplan it takes all the guess work out of my day's food ... It took a few days to make sure I had planned enough food, including snacks, and now it has become second nature... I often don't know what we will be doing on a given day, so I even plan a backup menu.. it is so helpful, even if somewhat time consuming.

I also have made out the response cards I know I will use and review them and carry them with me. Core in conjunction with BDS is a wonderful solution to the weight loss and losss maintenance struggle. I love Core and continue to be a big BDS cheerleader. Stay with it, use it, live it.. it is so worth it.
    Lifetimer for life!

wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com

Replies

Smile Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Quote Originally Posted by Pensguys View Post
    Today was the day to practice eating while sitting down. I succeeded except for 2 times. I made the Core Banana muffins. I made big ones and some little mini muffins. Before I knew it, I had popped one in my mouth on the WAY to sitting down.....I did the same thing with some grapes.

I also went ahead and started practicing giving myself credit. Today I gave myself credit for journaling, making a plan for eating out and sticking to it, for weighing in and not getting discouraged over a loss of .2 when I expected more, for exercising and for losing some inches that didn't show up on the scale. Oh, and I also read my list of reasons for losing weight several times.
    I agree with Lynn. You have LOTS to give yourself credit for!

I did the same thing: catching myself putting a bite in my mouth as I was walking to the table...That's how we learn!

Quote Originally Posted by freedomii View Post
    Jumping in here.. so glad to have found this thread... I worked through the whole Beck Diet Solution workbook except for the last few days as they focussed on situations that I do not face at this time.... I learned so much and continue to practice the techniques that I found particularly helpful.

I am on Core so I thought, at first, that preplanning meals for a whole day was anti-Core, but I did it anyway. And, lo and behold, I find it very helpful and positive to do that. I have been maintaing well below my goal for a few years and allow myself an up and down of 3 pounds... well, when I preplan it takes all the guess work out of my day's food ... It took a few days to make sure I had planned enough food, including snacks, and now it has become second nature... I often don't know what we will be doing on a given day, so I even plan a backup menu.. it is so helpful, even if somewhat time consuming.

I also have made out the response cards I know I will use and review them and carry them with me. Core in conjunction with BDS is a wonderful solution to the weight loss and losss maintenance struggle. I love Core and continue to be a big BDS cheerleader. Stay with it, use it, live it.. it is so worth it.
    Welcome, Freedomii! Great story and thoughts. I hope you keep sharing, whenever you're called to...

I had another great day. I give myself credit for: Staying OP. Tracking my foods and 8 Greats on my Palm. Walking the dog several times, wearing my pedometer, going slowly to increase my comfort walking...I had great CORE foods ready-and-waiting. Measured the foods I needed to. Read my Advantages List before eating (or after if I had forgotten).

Today is SLOW DOWN AND BE MINDFUL.

"Enjoy EVERY BITE of food you eat, maximizing your psychological satisfaction by eating slowly and paying full attention to your food."

The cool thing about this? LAST time I did this was the first time I ever noticed "The Sigh"...

I wrote, "Ate 1 C. oatmeal and 1/2 apple and glass of water for breakfast without distraction. At 21 minutes and 33 seconds, I sighed- Satisfied. Stopped. Left 3 bites and 2 apple slices."

Today I will follow the slow/mindful exercise as written for breakfast and lunch (no distractions), and dinner (using the different strategy: eating while focusing on something else).
    Last edited by WWCarol; 07-27-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Here is my "credit" for today:

We went out to eat Chinese for lunch and I stuck to my plan. (Using WPAs)

I ate Core the rest of the day when I was physically hungry again.

I did NOT eat anything while standing.

I did NOT eat at a reception at church for a friend who is moving away (even though I was very emotional.--this is a MAJOR one for me). I FELT the feeling as my leader says and let the tears flow instead of stuffing myself with food.

Now I'm going to have some water...I'm behind in my count for the day.
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

WOW another great day for you Penny!

Replies

Thumbs up Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Here is my "credit" for today:

We went out to eat Chinese for lunch and I stuck to my plan. (Using WPAs)

I ate Core the rest of the day when I was physically hungry again.

I did NOT eat anything while standing.

I did NOT eat at a reception at church for a friend who is moving away (even though I was very emotional.--this is a MAJOR one for me). I FELT the feeling as my leader says and let the tears flow instead of stuffing myself with food.

Now I'm going to have some water...I'm behind in my count for the day.
    EXCELLENT, Penny!

I remember Gary Zukov on Oprah. When she was asking about "What can we do?" (She had asked for mac-and-cheese when her movie, Beloved, bombed...)

He said, "FEEL YOUR FEELINGS."

I'm so proud you did that, Penny.

My SLOW DOWN AND BE MINDFUL "experiment" was AWESOME!

First of all...the food...tasted SO GOOD that way! The roasted brussel sprouts, the bulgar, the grilled chicken sausage...each bite, the flavor just POPPED.

Second, I noticed the textures of the food. The way my teeth ground the food and the way my tongue finaggled it's way around my mouth so easily, queing the food into line to be chewed, moving it to be swallowed...it was SO COOL! LOL.

I tried SLOWING DOWN from eating slowly...and I got even slower. And that felt cool, too. I thought, "I thought I was eating slow-ly...but this is even better!" I also tried SMALLER BITES than the small bites...and that was even better!

Shocker. I "sighed' at 10 minutes?! I thought, "What in the world does THAT mean?" "Am I tired?" "Or am I satisfied?"

So I kept on eating. I really hadn't had enough food to keep me going. I kept on eating and "sighed" again at 14 minutes?! Again, shock. (I was expecting 20+ minutes.) This time, though, I thought, "I'm stopping."

I stopped and wasn't hungry again for 3 hours. Even though I had had very little food (in my opinion--about a cup)!

Credit: Went on a long dog walk; left DD and mom at movies so I could go home and eat something healthy/planned; ate breakfast slowly/mindfully; read my Advantages list several times; wore my "credit" bracelet.

DH is going to be my coach/support. So is BCB. Today I'll be checking my "environment". I'll be eating slowly and mindfully, sitting down; reading my cards and Advantages list; and giving myself credit for everything I do!

If you haven't tried eating a meal with NO DISTRACTIONS, slowly and mindfully, DO. It's wonderful. Almost sensuous. It makes you wish all your meals could be that way...

Replies

I'm jumping in and rejoining, found myself really needing to regain control over myself and my changing eating habits. Slowly, the slippery slope...allowing myself to indulge in stress behavior, the old weight gaining habits to return...Well, NO MORE OF THAT!

Core and BDS works so well together. Makes it all manageable.
    So, last night I started with:

* a plan my daily meals and activities.

* slowed down while eating (which I though I WAS doing...)

*make sure that I feel hungry between meals. Even looking at the clock to make sure there is 2-3 hr between each sit-down-meal.

I just feel so much better. Instantly.
    I'm looking at the skinny jeans that I have out grown. Now, I'm shrinking back into them~ I can feel it....
    Ninka

Back to loosing a few lbs over goal...
    Finding the perfect balance...one meal at the time...
    I can do it!

Replies

Hi Nina! GREAT plan! Isn't it wonderful to feel-better-instantly?!

I give myself credit for: reading my Advantages List, sitting and eating slowly and mindfully while sitting (really worked on this!), checked my home environment is meeting my diet needs (check!), and had CORE foods available and ready-to-eat, and exercised while protecting my knee.

Today I'm adding in: "PUT DIETING FIRST: I have to plan my life around exercise and dieting activities, not vice versa. I deserve to put myself first." And: "EXERCISE NO MATTER WHAT: If you don't feel like exercising, remember: 5 minutes is better than 0 minutes. Say NO CHOICE. The hardest part is geting started; then it gets easier."

Replies

Started out early today with the walk ( putting myself and exercise first...*credit*) and todays goal is to really S_L_O_W down the eating.
    I am going to become one of those people who linger at the table, nibbling at the food....

I also realized after returning to BDS this time that I am very jealous of people who can eat tons of food and not gain an once.
    I am resentful that I can't eat like others.
    The last time I glossed over that part and ignored my feelings.

So this time I'm dealing with it. I need to focus and appreciate the attributes I have and accept the ones I don't.

Have a great day!
    Ninka

Back to loosing a few lbs over goal...
    Finding the perfect balance...one meal at the time...
    I can do it!

Replies

Lightbulb Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Quote Originally Posted by Ninka26 View Post
    Started out early today with the walk ( putting myself and exercise first...*credit*) and todays goal is to really S_L_O_W down the eating.
    I am going to become one of those people who linger at the table, nibbling at the food....

I also realized after returning to BDS this time that I am very jealous of people who can eat tons of food and not gain an once.

So this time I'm dealing with it. I need to focus and appreciate the attributes I have and accept the ones I don't.

Have a great day!
    Excellent observation, Ninka.

Replies

Another day! Yesterday I gave myself credit for: staying OP, walking more on my leg that's getting better, not eating a "sample" at Costco, reading Advantages, eating slowly and mindfully.

The GOOD thing is: I can't eat standing up anymore. I know not to! I'm catching myself every time.

Today I'm doing "GET MOVING".

LostTeacher Guest

my goal for next week: (and i may need a reminder or two)

i am going to attempt the two most difficult parts of the program (at least they are to me).
    - eating only breakfast and then not until dinner - having the feeling of being hungry, and knowing i won't suffer
    - eating alone, slowly, no distractions

this will be two big days for me, as these are two things that actually kind of scare me a bit. i tried the eating only breakfast and dinner thing, but cracked when i was out during the day, and ate something. and i've never tried the eating alone thing.

so that's my goal when i get back from holidays. i am going to sit down on saturday, plan my week, and figure out what to do.

LT

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by LostTeacher View Post
    my goal for next week: (and i may need a reminder or two)

i am going to attempt the two most difficult parts of the program (at least they are to me).
    - eating only breakfast and then not until dinner - having the feeling of being hungry, and knowing i won't suffer
    - eating alone, slowly, no distractions

this will be two big days for me, as these are two things that actually kind of scare me a bit. i tried the eating only breakfast and dinner thing, but cracked when i was out during the day, and ate something. and i've never tried the eating alone thing.

so that's my goal when i get back from holidays. i am going to sit down on saturday, plan my week, and figure out what to do.

LT
    Since this is bringing up so much anxiety for you, I'd break it down into baby-steps, LT. On the "waiting" one, I'd say, "I'm going to wait 20 minutes. If I'm still hungry, I'll eat." See what happens. If you're able to go 20 minutes, then try 30 the next. (Most likely, you'll get interested in something and then be SHOCKED that hours passed...)

What you're really doing is trying to learn something about yourself, not necessarily follow the written exercise to-a-T (in my opinion).

And you can break off "eating sitting down" first. Then, add in the slowly sometime. And then add in mindfully sometime after that.

Does that sound less crazy-making?...

I think that might take off a huge bit of anxiety for you~

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Ninka26 View Post

Have a great day!
    Nina, I don't recall if this is in the workbook or just the book, but I love where she talks about the fact that basically this is NOT true! There really AREN'T people, or certainly not many, that can eat TONS of food and not gain an ounce...unless they are olympic athletes or something. We might see someone eating ice cream, or whatever, but they are not eating a half gallon of ice cream, or eating it after every meal, etc. I know in my own family, I live with three thin people (actually DH now has a middle aged belly, but he USED to be very thin)....and if I am very observant I can honestly say that I probably OUT EAT ALL of them! Definitely in the volume of food I eat. I have always eaten more than my husband and he has mostly outweighed me all of our married life (he is after all 8 inches taller than me so he SHOULD, but early in our marriage I outweighed him--he was VERY skinny)...the reason other people are THIN is because they EAT LESS FOOD. That is almost always the reason....they are able to handle the occasional bowl of ice cream, and not feel like they have to eat it constantly, etc....I think that is such a better way to deal with our "unfairness" feelings...realize that it is a MYTH! It is one I hear SO often when I lead meetings, including todays where I was subbing. Today I didn't address it, because there is only SO much one can address in a meeting. But I think dispelling that myth is important! (And it's in BDS too!)

Replies

It would be real easy, though, to think it's unfair what is required of me to lose and maintain the rest of my life...

I don't get to eat everything I want to, when I want to. I don't get to ride-the-couch...

Those are unhelpful thoughts for sure. And it's a good idea to think of helpful responses for them and deal with them.

Replies

Like I said, the reason thin people are thin is that they EAT LESS FOOD...and the thinner (and older) we get, well, we get to eat even LESS food!!! And that does kind of STINK, but like you said, Carol, we need to DEAL WITH IT! Just like other thin, middle aged and older, people do!
    It's reality and we may not like it, but I am for dealing with reality!!! There isn't a good alternative!

One of my adventages on my ARC is that I will get to buy and prepare less food! (that's putting a positive spin on it!)

Meanwhile, I really have a hard time eating LESS FOOD! I am always on program but I COULD EAT LESS FOOD! As I said recently, the reason I ALWAYS lose weight on vacation is because I have less access to food and I just plain eat less!!! So obviously this is something I need to work on! (assuming I want to stay several pounds under goal)

Replies

Lightbulb Re: The Beck Diet Solution And Core

Such good points, Lynn.

Today Bob Greene's words spoke to me: "It's not enough to want to transform your body; everybody wants to do that. You have to want to do the hard work that is required to lose weight....No one succeeds without giving up something, be it leisure time or favorite foods. You may find that you even have to reevalute and change some of the relationships you're in."

"Life is a roller coaster...you're going to have ups and downs...your success is going to hinge on how well you handle the downs. Many people I know use setbacks to let themselves off the hook. Consciously or unconscious, they secretly want the opportunity to get out of the hard work of change, or to confirm that they weren't meant to achieve what they set out to do."

And you thought this was just about calories in/calories out! LOL. This stuff is h-e-a-v-y duty.

Credit today for: stretching/exercising one hour; eating out slowly with Dmom; reading Bob Greene for inspiration; coming to BCB; drinking my water.

Replies

Thanks for the Bob Greene quote Carol. It is an EXCELLENT ONE!!!

Hey ya'll. I'm still hanging in and doing well. I'm taking a hiatus on the lessons where we practice eating consciously and sitting down. I did go ahead through the lessons about meeting with the diet coach and picking out your exercise because I have those already in place. Tonight I'll read the next lesson about the difference in hunger and cravings in preparation for tomorrow and my dinner out with friends.

No stinking thinking has been going on and I have a new mantra about everything in my life that I don't want to do: DO IT ANYWAY!
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

No stinking thinking has been going on and I have a new mantra about everything in my life that I don't want to do: DO IT ANYWAY!
    "Stinking thinking"....did you make that up? It's a good one!!!! Penny and Carol, you are both doing GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!

I need to dust off BDS! We can ALL do even BETTER!

LOL! No, Lynn, my WW leader made that up. She calls any thinking that is on the sabotage side of things "stinking thinking".....any negative self-talk about yourself, any "woe is me" type thinking...stuff like that.
    Penny

SW 213.8
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

LOL! No, Lynn, my WW leader made that up. She calls any thinking that is on the sabotage side of things "stinking thinking".....any negative self-talk about yourself, any "woe is me" type thinking...stuff like that.
    Well I might just have to "borrow" it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast