Thread: new and vegetarian...any advice?

Replies

Default new and vegetarian...any advice?

hey everyone!

i'm an on-again-off-again poster in the T20s board, but i've recently decided that flex doesn't work for me anymore. so i've decided to start core, and i'm pretty excited about it! i foresee the transition being relatively easy...except for cutting out bread and pitas. a lot of the 'dinner' food that i cook is core anyway.

anyway, does anyone have any advice, especially vegetarian-related advice? and what do people do for lunches? at this point i'm a little lost without being able to have a sandwich on a regular basis.

thanks, and i'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!
    anna!

Replies

Talking Re: new and vegetarian...any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by akwebs View Post
    hey everyone!

i'm an on-again-off-again poster in the T20s board, but i've recently decided that flex doesn't work for me anymore. so i've decided to start core, and i'm pretty excited about it! i foresee the transition being relatively easy...except for cutting out bread and pitas. a lot of the 'dinner' food that i cook is core anyway.

anyway, does anyone have any advice, especially vegetarian-related advice? and what do people do for lunches? at this point i'm a little lost without being able to have a sandwich on a regular basis.

thanks, and i'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!
    I like to have: cooked grains (hulled barley or spelt or wheat berries) with a chopped Dr. Praeger's veggie burger with roasted/cooked vegetables and some hot sauce or some House of Tsang Spicy Szechuan sauce...
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Default Re: new and vegetarian...any advice?

Welcome to Core! It's very easy to make Core vegetarian - all veggies, fruits, whole grains, and beans are Core.

If you're already satisfied with your dinners being Core, you can take leftovers for lunch. A lot of people do that. Grain and bean salads work really well and are a great way to try out new grains (and new beans!) It's also an easy place to put a healthy oil, and can definitely be satisfying with a piece of fruit or some cut veggies for lunch. Soups are easy to pack in a thermos and can be very hearty and vegetarian. Salads with some protein like hard cooked eggs or beans are another pretty satisfying lunch.

Check out veganlunchbox.com (the blog is no longer active but the archives are great - not Core, but very creative vegan lunches.)
    Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

Replies

those are good ideas, thanks! i guess i'm just going to have to get used to being a little more creative than just throwing some hummus and veggies onto bread.

hey, quick question (as i can't afford to pay for the program): you can eat pasta/potatoes/rice once a day AND cereal once a day, not OR cereal once a day, right? and couscous/bulgar/quinoa/oats you can have multiple times a day, correct?

thanks!
    anna!

Replies

You can eat whole wheat pasta/potatoes/brown rice once a day AND cereal once a day with milk or yogurt only. Other grains you can have until satisfied.

I'd definitely recommend going to at least one meeting when they have free registration just so you can get the week one materials and have the program really explained to you. Having the plan written out makes a big difference.

Store bought hummus isn't Core, but you can make your own with your healthy oils (tahini isn't Core - omit it or count Points for it) and use it for a veggie dip. Delish!
    Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

Replies

Thumbs up Re: new and vegetarian...any advice?

And cooked whole grains with Core hummus and some chopped veggies is DELISH!

Make a bunch of grains, portion and freeze them.

Make a bunch of beans, portion and freeze them.

Have frozen veggies, or roast some for the week...

Then it's very easy to grab a grain and some beans and some veggies.
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

My son and DIL are vegetarians and I have learned to create many dishes for them and now to defat them for me. Tell me you're not vegan. It is so much easier to guide you if you eat dairy and eggs. Remember you still have 35 points for non-core products so you can have your pita. What about hard boiled eggs? If I were vegetarian I wouldn't mind a lunch of ff cottage cheese with fruit or chives, no-fat no sugar choc. pudding. How about lettuce wraps? I take it you don't have access to a microwave at work and that is why you are thinking sandwiches. I have my freezer full of wonderful vegetarian meals full of legumes, beans, etc. that I have cooked in quanity and measured out. Of course on Core you don't need to measure. I have several recipes you would enjoy. When I went to my son's home for Xmas, I took along vegetarian dishes I could enjoy.
    marge

SW: 206
    GW: 146
    CW: 166. 8
    40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

Replies

i usually make my own hummus anyway...so omitting the tahini is not a big problem. i'm not a vegan, and marge i would love to see some of your recipes if you have them posted somewhere or something!...thanks for the offer. or you can pm me for my email address. i actually play music for a living, and am usually home during the day, so the sandwich thing is more because i'm lazy and don't like cooking more than necessary rather than because i can't heat up things at work . anyway, thanks again for all the information. tomorrow i think i'm going to try some couscous with core hummus and chopped veggies for lunch!
    anna!

Replies

Sounds yummy! Lots of beans make tasty spreads. I like white beans with rosemary and olive oil. Yummmm...

Check out the cookbooks Moosewood Lowfat and Lorna Sass's Complete Vegetarian Kitchen or her vegetarian pressure cooker cookbook. They're not Core, but many of the recipes are Core or very easily modified, and they're really fantastic, flavorful vegetarian menus.

I am not a vegetarian but I have lots of vegetarian days and you can see my blog to see what I'm eating. We eat a lot of beans and grains at our house. They are just so versatile!

How could I forget hummus? I use it for another source of protein when I don't think there is enough in the main dish when Veggie Boy and Gal visit. This one is so good:

Green Chile Hummus

2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans
    Juice of 2 limes
    1/4 c olive oil
    2 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chilies, drained
    Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp cumin
    Combine beans, lime juice, and oil, and process in a food processor until smooth. Or, if you're like me, and like texture in your hummus, mash beans witha potato masher, and stir in the remaining ingredients. Chill for an hour to allow flavors to make friends.
    marge

SW: 206
    GW: 146
    CW: 166. 8
    40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

I'm not vegetarian, BUT I say, have your sandwich every day if you like it! 2 pts or so/day for a pita or bread is still only 14 of your 35 points (and that's assuming you don't earn any APs, which you probably do).

You gotta make core LIVABLE, and if a daily sandwich makes it liavable for you, then do it.

This isn't directed just at you, but I'm going to say it out loud as a reminder to myself and all Corebies...when you make Core too 'different' than what you normally eat, I think that's when it gets tough. Those 35 points are there to make it workable...USE THEM!!!!

OK, off my soap box!

Amy
    SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose
    DS: 1 year
    DD: 2 years

Oh, and PS - Welcome!

I'll bump a barley mushroom risotto that's in the recipe section that's to die for. YUM!

My lunch this week was ww couscous with roasted chopped veggies (aspargus, green beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, and yellow squash) and grilled chicken (you could sub tofu or beans or just leave it out). Every day, I heated some up, added my daily allowance of evoo, lemon juice, and ff feta. It was heavenly!

Another quick favorite of mine is two over easy eggs on top of polenta slices that have been pan-fried (in pam or your daily oil). I usually have canadian bacon with it, but it's good without as well!

I would think that doing core would be fairly easy for a vegetarian. I have lots of meat-free days, although I despise beans (I wish I didn't), so I would have a hard time going 100% meat-free.

Good luck!

Amy
    SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose
    DS: 1 year
    DD: 2 years