Thread: alcohol

Question alcohol

I was wondering if anyone on here likes a to have a glass of wine at night & how it affects your weight lose. I love to have a beer with I eat fish I count it 2 pts because its light but Im thinking even after counting the pts I feel it might be hurting my weight loss. 2nd weigh in this Tuesday.. guess I'll have the answer then.
    Jana,

Replies

Default Re: alcohol

I do drink. But, when I first started I went without for the first 6 months. When I started drinking again my weight loss slowed by 33%.
    Some days it was worth it some days not
    CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

Replies
    Blog Entries

For me, its not the alcohol per se that slows my loss, its the fact that it clouds my judgement and makes me want to eat something. When I have a glass or two of wine at night and stay within range, I'm fine. Lillie

Thanks everyone, guess I'm dreading the weigh in. What is the norm for weight loss in the beginning? There was a lady at the meeting told me I should lose 5 lbs the first week adding that she did.
    I dont think I'm going to make that number. I would think 2 lbs would be a lot but I don't know.
    Jana,

Replies

There is no 'norm'.
    It was really unfair for that person to make a comparison like that. If it happens great but no one has exactly the same experience.

Just do the program and the losses will come.
    CW

6. Smile Re: alcohol

Having an occasionial glass of wine is the sort of thing that keeps me from feeling like I'm on a "diet". I don't have one every day, but do save points to have one once or twice a week.
    Rose

HW:175
    WW Goal: 136
    Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006
    Personal Goal: 118-123
    CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)
    BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
    Wayne Dyer

Replies

If you like beer, you might want to try a light beer because it's only 2 points for a 12 oz. bottle, as oppossed to 3 points for a regular beer in a 12 oz. bottle. Also, drink lots of water...we need to do that on WW anyway, but it especially helps when you drink.

I have had a drink or two on the evening before my w/i and I think for me personally, it is detrimental to my weight loss. I have since stopped that, and stick to a beer or two, or a glass of wine or two, on Saturday nights (as my w/i in Thursday.) I usually use my weekly flex points for the drinks because I only get 20 points a day.

As far as your first w/i - everyone's body is different. My best friend and I both joined the same day (but different meeting locations) and our first w/i was very different. Since then, we have both lost at different rates. But the point is, we're both LOSING, which is great!

Good luck!

8. Default Re: alcohol

i agree with all the posters. you should have an occassional beer when you're feeling strong and can really afford the points, just to make this feel like a lifestyle, not a diet. don't focus on the number that you lose. i know it's hard, because once the losing starts, or when we actually *feel* like we're on a diet, then we start obssessing about the number on the scale. but the most important thing is to just live a healthy lifestyle. that includes several light beers a week, i would think. why not take the number of beers that you *used* to drink and cut that down by half to two-thirds. so if you used to drink 8 beer a week, cut it down to 3 or 4.
    Mowho33

SW(Dec07)212.5

CW(July 2010)165

Well I don't drink that much but I do enjoy a glass of wine at night but was afraid that drinking anything would set me up for a fall. Being new to w/w I just wanted to make sure that if I do drink a glass of wine or a light beer that it wouldnt stop the weight from coming off. I can give it up but I to don't want to think of this as a diet but a new way of living and eating.

Thanks everyone, I do think I've lost but I guess we all have to find what can cause us problems. I think I'm cheating when I use any of the flex points am I the only one who thinks like that?
    Jana,

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by JANA38372 View Post
    I think I'm cheating when I use any of the flex points am I the only one who thinks like that?
    That is a common mistake.
    The points are part of the total amount we need but are designed to be used as a way to enjoy our new lifestyle. Eating all or most of them will help not hurt your efforts.
    CW

Replies

I have an occasional beer - Budlight w/Lime and the BBQ WW Pretzels. Wonderful combination! I'm still losing weight....
    Debbie
    CW 143
    WW Goal 127
    Lifetime - 7-10-081st time

12. Default Re: alcohol

I lost my weight freakishly fast, but the weeks that I used my flex for light beer I lost crazy amounts. So much so that last summer it became a running joke. I'm not sure why...maybe b/c it "switched it up". It could have also been b/c if I made the choice to splurge on beer I was particularly careful in all the other areas. I didn't deprive myself of anything while losing. I DID plan for it, count it and journal it!
    SW~277.8lbs March 13, 2007
    WWG~169lbs Nov 27, 2007
    Lifetime since Jan 22, 2008
    Current weight 162.8lbs (05/27/08)