Thread: Confessions of a Brownie Monster

1. Default Confessions of a Brownie Monster

I do Core as some of you may know who hang out in the Core section...but sometimes I just need to have some WAP's!

Anyway can I be perfectly honest and say I HATE the diet cake, pumpkin and mashed bean recipes used in desserts??? I have tried them all and all I can say is YUK....

When I am having my monthly I MUST have chocolate and brownies have been my time tested friend since childhood. I love the crunchy chocolate homey feeling I get from them and I love licking a bit of the bowl...sorry I really do (but now I count every BLT!)...and well the replacements above just do not cut it on the satisfaction scale...I hate to admit it but I even gaged on the pumpkin recipe...

However, I think I have come to a reasonable compromise I learned from the No Pudge brownie mix. I like them, but hate their price and they are so hard to find sometimes.

What I have been doing lately is using Betty Crocker Brownie Mix (I can buy them for about a buck a box) and adding 1/2 cup of natural applesauce and 1/2 cup of ff plain yogurt and 1/4 cup egg whites to replace the oil, water and whole eggs called for on the box...then I add extra vanilla to the batter...about a tbsp. Sometimes I use the low fat brownie mix when it is on sale, but the regular one is not much different nutritional wise I am finding...though you get bigger servings with the low fat version...

This is not as dense as a real brownie, but it tastes good with non-fat milk and gets me through the week without gaining. I have a good size portion (or two) with my morning coffee and it takes care of the chocolate craving pretty well..I am even thinking of adding some Fiber One cereal to it to make it have more fiber but I have not had the discipline yet...I will though.

I have even used this with Pillsbury's new reduced sugar chocolate cake mix and it tastes pretty good...better than beans at least

2. Default Re: Confessions of a Brownie Monster

Here is the recipe and the numbers according to the recipe builder:

1 box low fat brownie mix (no pudge or betty crocker)
    1/2 cup ff plain yogurt
    1/2 cup natural applesauce (no sugar)
    1/4 cup egg alternative
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 cups Fiber One

Mix it all then put in cup cake pan. I only fill each cup cake holder half full and I get at least 20+ cup cakes. It puffs up a lot. I bake at 325 in a convention oven for about 18-20 minutes, use 350 for a regular oven.

Each cup cake is 2 pts according the recipe builder...the extra fiber helps keep the points in perspective, its 3 pts without the fiber one.

3. Default Re: Confessions of a Brownie Monster

Thanks, Sarah! - I am going to try these!
    Rose

HW:175
    WW Goal: 136
    Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006
    Personal Goal: 118-123
    CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)
    BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
    Wayne Dyer