Thread: cake made with pumpkin

Question cake made with pumpkin

At the WW meetings they have talked about cake mix made with just pumpkin and nothing else. Has anyone tried this?

TryingWW Guest

Default Re: cake made with pumpkin

I first heard about it as "muffins" and they were 1 point. Women at the meetings were saying they eat 4-5 of them throughout the day as snacks. After trying the calculations several times, it seemed to me the muffins were really just slightly under 4 points (rounding would make them 4 points) the way the meeting suggested to make them. Even so, I decided to give them a try. They are very heavy/tough tasting, not similar to the way a cake rises. Definitely more on the line of a muffin texture. Other than upping the fiber to bring down the points by 1 point, you are only saving a few calories (very minimal calories at that).

So, if you really want cake, have cake made the regular way. If you are looking to save not quite 1 point for a snack, try it. But always check the calculations, these are not 1 point! You can make them a point by dividing the pumpkin batter into something like 40-48 portions but if you divide the cake batter into the same number of portions it still worked out to the same number of points. And think about it, dividing 1 box of cake mix into 48 portions doesn't make a very big muffin. At least making it as the box directs, gives you a bigger visual portion once it bakes (especially if you whip the egg whites before adding to the mix).
    Last edited by TryingWW; 04-13-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling error

Replies

Default Re: cake made with pumpkin

i think when they were made as muffins, they used the itty bitty mini muffin papers. i make this all the time, but in a 9 X 13 pan. I have found that if you also use 1/2 cup of water the cake rises better. Of course you should check your pts. calculator w/ the specific cake mix, but mine averages 3 points for 1/12 of the cake or 2 points for 1/15 of the cake. Your brand may differ. Remember... this doesn't include your topping!

I like this alot.

4. Thumbs up Re: cake made with pumpkin

Hi I just handed out this recipe at my WW meeting today. I love this recipe. It is so easy and it taste great! Very moist (which is what the ladies said in my meeting [I took one to share]). I make 18 cupcakes and the totals are 2 points. If doing a cake it is 3 pts.

Some people add an egg white and 1/4 cup of water. I've done it both ways and both are good. I live at a very high altitude and these set up very nicely. I freeze them individually and wrap them to have on hand for guests and of course for when I need a cake fix!

Try it, I think you will like it.
    Stay on target! Stay on target! (Star Wars)