Thread: How do you deal with over eating for the day?

Replies

Unhappy How do you deal with over eating for the day?

Hello Guys!!!

I have a little problem, I didn't look at my dining out book before I went to get some food for dinner (I was extremely tired and didn't want to cook!!). I wound up spending more points on dinner then I could haveimagined and now I feel like a fat dogg!!!

My question and dilema is this: how do you guys deal when you have eaten to much for the day. What steps should I take to kind of like "make up" what I just put into my system. I'm completely at a loss here!! Any advice is welcome.

Nessa
    A journey of a 1,000 miles MUST begin with a single step!!

Sw: 235.0lbs
    CW: 242.lbs
    GW: 170.0lbs

Replies

Default Re: How do you deal with over eating for the day?

In WW it is OK to have the occasional "high Points day" or even "very high Points day." You can usually work them into your week, especially if you usually don't use the optional Points.

It sounds like you did the most important thing. You actually sat down and figured out how many Points you ate, using your best estimates. Many, many people will not do this step. Probably most people, even here on BCB.

Then you figure out how to account for them. You say you over-ate for the day, which sounds to me like you went over your Target Points. In this case you use any Activity Points you earned yesterday, and then your Weekly Points Allowance.

Then you see how much WPA you have left for the week. If it's zero, then you know what you have to do. But in my experience it is very tough to use your entire WPA in one meal or one day (on Flex at least) if you actually count up the Points.

Whatever you do, do not under-eat or over-exercise to try to "make up" for it. Today is a new day, you have a new set of Target Points. You can't count today's Activity Points against yesterday's eating. You can do your normal exercise and use those Activity Points today.

Drinking your water and paying attention to the fruits & veggies & healthy 8s will help flush out the extra salt common in restaurant meals.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Hi, Nessa,

Nancy beat me to it with all the right advice. I just wanted to chime in that I was in your shoes last week because I didn't journal a lunch I ate on the run -- and at dinnertime I was absolutely convinced that I had a whole lot more of my daily total to spend than I actually did. Naturally I remembered everything once dinner was done .

I used Flex points to balance the ledger and the next day ate within my daily total plus my APs.

I am not happy that I lost my brain on that lunch, but the rest of my week was on-track, and I wound up with a 0.6 lb. loss at WI.

The worst thing you can do in these situations is to avoid figuring it and tracking it. You have to know where you stand to keep things in perspective and know what you really need to do next.
    Liz

First joined: 1986, lifetime 1991
    Recommitted: 11/28/2007
    Start weight: 198.4
    Goal: 150 (6/5/08)
    Currently: 149.4 (2/12/09)
    PG: 145

Replies

My leader use to tell us to pretend you are an ETCH-A-SKETCH. Tip it over and shake it clean and start over! But remember, even an ETCH-A-SKETCH gets worn out with overuse.

Peggy
    SW.....220
    CW.....154
    GW.....155
    PGW...150

life is short---live it to the fullest!

Nessa,

Nancy, as always, gives great advice.

I just wanted to add that I have quite a few of those nights when I don't feel like cooking. I knew that was going to be problem for me when I started this weight loss journey. I have made myself a list of some "no cook" options that I can go to if needed. Also, I made a list of the restaurants that I would normally go to and I keep a "cheat sheet" of points values for those places in my car.

By the way-where are you in North Carolina? I work in NC but live in VA.
    Lisa
    SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

6. Smile Re: How do you deal with over eating for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabet View Post
    The worst thing you can do in these situations is to avoid figuring it and tracking it. You have to know where you stand to keep things in perspective and know what you really need to do next.
    This thread has enough great advice to warrant printing out and posting on the fridge! I just wanted to add that what Elizabet said above is of paramount importance - not just while you are losing, but after you reach goal. You have to know where you stand in order to stay on track with your weight loss, or to maintain it.

The habit of getting back on track and starting over immediately is just as important as the overall habit of following the WW program to begin with.
    Rose

HW:175
    WW Goal: 136
    Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006
    Personal Goal: 118-123
    CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)
    BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
    Wayne Dyer

7. Default Re: How do you deal with over eating for the day?

In addition to great advice already given, I make myself take the dog for a 20 minute walk, even when tired (tired is how I get into trouble every time.). Then I drink a glass of water. It's how I "clean my slate", so to speak, plus I earn an AP, and help digest the overeating I just committed. As time goes by, this will happen less and less-I haven't had this problem since last October. The planning will become automatic with practice!
    Latebloomer

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalRose View Post
    The habit of getting back on track and starting over immediately is just as important as the overall habit of following the WW program to begin with.
    Amen, sister! If the "naturally" thin people can do it, then we can too!
    Our goals are only a decision away. cw:122

shihtzuX2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalRose View Post
    This very fact was reiterated in a news report I saw recently about how people successfully maintain their weight losses.

And as one who lost -- only to regain -- more than 115 pounds, plus many smaller losses and regains over the years, I totally agree!

Replies

Such great advice on this thread!

Someone had posted somewhere else about going 14 points over what she had for the day. It got me to thinking ... 14 points is maybe 700 to 1000 calories. A pound is 3500 calories. So, really, one episode of going way over isn't what kills the weight loss. It's the guilt eating the next day and the next and the next. Getting right back on track is key!

I think I'm going to print out a picture of an etch-a-sketch to save for emergencies. That's a great image.
    Becky in Virginia
    (Previously Becky in KL)

HW-202 SW-187.5 CW-159 GW-143
    New Year's Resolution - Stay OP in 2008
    Streak #1 - 108 days OP

Replies

Thanks guys!!! This has helped me soooo much in making me feel better for my bad decsion!!! I will keep this in mind for the next time something like this comes up!!

Nessa
    A journey of a 1,000 miles MUST begin with a single step!!

Sw: 235.0lbs
    CW: 242.lbs
    GW: 170.0lbs

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyinKL View Post
    A pound is 3500 calories. So, really, one episode of going way over isn't what kills the weight loss.
    As someone who continues to fight the urge to "throw the baby out with the bath water" when she has a slip-up, I want to thank you for posting this. It's a very good thing for me to remember that it's not the one slip that leads to a weight gain, but rather how I handle the rest of the week. Nowadays that one slip definitely does not consist of a pound, or more, of calories so reinforcing with myself the need to get immediately back on track is huge - and remembering this will help immensely!
    ~Kristi~

Great Advice above! I always say to myself "The Beat goes on" , meaning, just because you may have "messed up" one meal, doesn't mean you have ruined the rest of the day or your next meal. Just get back on track and all will be good!

Good luck!
    Zoma

ps. I had the same thing happen last night...can we say italian sub?!
    http://www.myspace.com/zoma_rose

HW 195!
    SW 168
    CW 168

Goal Weight 150
    18 Pound Countdown!

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyinKL View Post

So, really, one episode of going way over isn't what kills the weight loss. It's the guilt eating the next day and the next and the next. Getting right back on track is key!
    you are so right. i had a horrible, OFF-P week last week, and it started as just one meal, then that meal turned into a whole day, and then it just snowballed from there because i felt so crappy for having screwed up in the first place. it's really hard to get out of that mindset (i'm still working on it)~
    (ME) SW: 158.2; CW: 158.2; Goal: 140
    (DH) SW: 248.4; CW: 248.4; Goal: 220

This happened to me today, but I journaled every bite I could. We went to Red Lobster and dd wanted an appetizer to split - so I thought yeah, split is good. But when I got home and put it all in E-Tools it came out to a 37.5 point lunch. I get 26 points a day. So that blew my week. But I put it in and ate low or 0 point foods for dinner and moved on. I have 15.5 WPA for the rest of the week which I rarely use anyway. So I don't think I am in that bad a shape for the week, but do regret that many points on one meal.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

16. Default Re: How do you deal with over eating for the day?

I always tell my members " one bad meal doesn't make a bad day, and one bad day doesn't make a bad week ". Just get back on track tomorrow and remember to LEARN FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE one of the Helpful Habits in the week 3 book. Nobody's perfect, that's wht they call it a lifestyle change not o diet.

Lasvegasleader